Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2014 6:25:56 PM EDT
I cannot get the bolt out of my 10/22 please help!!!!!

I have taken all the pins out and the trigger assembly but I can't get the bolt back far enough  to let the bolt come out. It still looks like it won't slide down past the channel the  bolt ride in is stopping it. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Tanks.

By the way I have another 10/22 and it has never given me this problem. I have also had this one apart and cleaned it thoroughly.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:36:17 PM EDT
[#1]
dumb question, but you did..... remove the rear pin??

sometimes they can be a finicky  lil bitch..slide it all the way back and pull out the breech face side first, just high enough to let the bolt handle drop from the bolt...
it will fall out at that point.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:39:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
dumb question, but you did..... remove the rear pin??

sometimes they can be a finicky  lil bitch..slide it all the way back and pull out the breech face side first, just high enough to let the bolt handle drop from the bolt...
it will fall out at that point.
View Quote

By rear pin I'm assuming you mean the buffer pin.  OP, if you put in a Best Buffer or some other brand they tend to be bigger than the factory steel pin since they tend to get out of shape (don't really mean bigger since it has to go through the same holes).  It has to come out from the end of the receiver to get the bolt back far enough to lift it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:13:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Not a dumb question but yes I did take the rear pin out. The channel where the bolt rides is too long for the bolt to come down to let the bolt release the charging handle. This is a real early 10/22 and I was wondering if they had clearance issues early on. My newer 10/22 has no problems taking the bolt out and if I remember correctly the last time I had this bolt out it gave me the same problem
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:15:07 PM EDT
[#4]
If the bolt won't come out, it wouldn't have gone in.  Rear bolt buffer/pin is what you need to remove.  I will take a pic in a minute.

Here you go.  Mine has been replaced with a plastic buffer, yours may still be the original steel part.

If that is taken out and you still can't remove the bolt, see if the bolt isn't bound up on the bolt handle or something like that, and verify that you don't have something preventing the recoil spring from compressing fully, or that your guide rod isn't bent.  Your bolt should be able to touch the rear of the receiver.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:33:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I seee mods in that there 22 receiver! its shiny aswell!
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:34:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I seee mods in that there 22 receiver! its shiny aswell!
View Quote

Yeah, after a decade of use, it had trouble cycling positively.  I radiused the bolt (probably a bit too much, if anything), polished the bottom of the bolt, and put in a Kidd guide rod/spring/handle.

The parts you can't see have better trigger/hammer/sear/springs, mag release, bolt catch, a radiused/polished trigger return plunger... you know how these things get.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:40:37 PM EDT
[#7]
The bolt come almost to the rear of the receiver but it still won't clear the channel or the charging handle by about an eighth of an inch.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:44:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The bolt come almost to the rear of the receiver but it still won't clear the channel or the charging handle by about an eighth of an inch.
View Quote

Does the gap at the rear more or less match the "overlap" at the front?  And, forgive my pushiness, but you have removed the bolt buffer/pin indicated in the picture, correct?  The 1/8" spacing sounds about right for that.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:48:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

You lift the bolt enough to remove the charging handle, first?
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 12:15:51 AM EDT
[#10]
The OP should post some pics of what he's dealing with.....
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:54:44 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm gonna say he didn't have all the pins removed at first.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top