Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2014 8:52:21 PM EDT
I've seen the Henry Survival AR-7, and I love the idea of it. Anyone have any experience with them? Good? Bad? Any other .22lr rifles that pack up into a small package like the henry?
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 9:04:42 PM EDT
[#1]
We'll they have been making the AR 7 since 1959 so it must be pretty dependable, what are you going to be using it for?
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 9:21:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I have one. Great guns. A 10/22 take down is 3-400.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 9:24:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I have two , keep em in vehicles,  they work great and inexpensive!
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 9:53:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I've had one for about a year. It's a recent made Henry.
It runs good with ammo it likes. There are a few brands it doesn't. Mainly the low powered bulk stuff.
Accuracy is decent at 25 meters. The thin barrel heats up quick.
Two main complaints: mags are pricey($20ea)and only available from Henry.
And
Front sight is a plastic base. Mine is actually so soft I can move the front sight in the dovetail with modest finger pressure.
I finally just glued the thing in place with some blue locktite. I do not care for the orange front blade. I changed it out with a black one.
Trigger is okay. It's getting smoother with use.
The gun was sticky and jammed when first out of the box but has smoothed up a lot. Rarely get jams now. Have well over 3000rds down the barrel.
It will float for a couple of minutes. The stock cap is not waterproof and the stock cavity will fill up with water and sink. I tested this in a swimming pool.
The stock is huge when you shoulder it so it takes a little getting used to.
I've tried a couple of optics on it just for giggles. A red dot is best but you lose the break down ability with the optic on the receiver.
It isn't accurate enough for a scope. It's minute of rabbit at 25yards.
Overall I like the gun and it is a lot of fun to shoot.
I plan on buying another soon.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 3:39:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Is the accuracy really that bad? Seems like if a survival rifle should be anything it's accurate and reliable.  My sister an I have been thinking about buying a couple of these but if hitting a rabbit at 25 yards is questionable, it's not much use for a survival gun.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:43:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is the accuracy really that bad? Seems like if a survival rifle should be anything it's accurate and reliable.  My sister an I have been thinking about buying a couple of these but if hitting a rabbit at 25 yards is questionable, it's not much use for a survival gun.
View Quote

The accuracy is acceptable IMO. The sights are crude.
I just ordered an all steel barrel from AR7.com. Hoping that will make for better accuracy.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:32:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
We'll they have been making the AR 7 since 1959 so it must be pretty dependable, what are you going to be using it for?
View Quote

Mostly for a just in case gun that I can throw in my backpack when im out backpacking.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:00:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:34:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I had a Charter version back in the mid 80's. POS  

I love the concept but the accuracy is too poor for my taste.

This $90 Stevens model 15 is a target rifle by comparison. And weighs 3 lbs.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/stevens_15_a.jpg
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/stevens_15_b.jpg
View Quote

From what I've read the newer Henry AR-7's are insanely better than the earlier generations.  You can't compare the two.  That Stevens is an interesting gun, I've never seen that one before.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:54:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 11:26:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I prefer my marlin papoose.

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:06:00 AM EDT
[#12]
My experience is with several Charter Arms versions...they have all worked great for me.
A rabbit at 25yds would pose no problem whatsoever, using the built in aperture sight.
Actually, I was just looking at my AR7 the other day, and thinking that I should throw it in the trunk of the car.
I have a couple old Ramline 25rd mags for the AR7 that have always worked well for me.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 2:18:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Charter AR-7 is nice. The Henry is beyond a pile of shit. Someone else will come along with details.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 5:54:03 PM EDT
[#14]
That's completely opposite of everything I've ever read.  Now I'm really confused.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 6:17:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
That's completely opposite of everything I've ever read.  Now I'm really confused.
View Quote

My experience is the Henry's are pretty good. The Charter's are cruddy. The original Amralite's are good.
The several Henry's that I've personally fired all worked fine. Just use good high velocity ammo.

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 7:28:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

The issue with any of them, including my old armalite, was the trigger. When it reset, it worked. When it didn't, well that took up 30% of my range time with them.Same for the CA version.  You're buying new, get it. They supposedly have great CS. I'm happy with the 22 levers we own.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 7:52:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I prefer my marlin papoose.

View Quote

Yes, and especially if you can find a stainless steel one.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 9:12:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Dont have one, but love their stupid simple trigger design.

For another simple backpack rifle, check out the chippa little badger - unless you need semi auto....
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 12:16:18 AM EDT
[#19]
I have a Survival Arms (1990's) model and an era 2000's Henry.  Another favorite break-down is a Rossi Matched Pair with a .22 and 20ga barrel.  It breaks down and stores in a soft case with both barrels, and allows me to keep a scope on the .22 barrel.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 11:51:47 AM EDT
[#20]
I had a CA AR-7 that I got in the early 80s.  One of my 3 mags was picky with ammo and killed lots of Texas jackrabbits while in High School with the fixed sights.  Used to keep it in the trunk or rucksack until it was destroyed in a fire.

CD
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 12:50:16 PM EDT
[#21]
I've got a Charter Arms AR7 that I bought late 1979, for something like $80.  It is a little finicky about ammo, but reliable with ammo that it likes.  You have to make sure the barrel nut is tight, it loosens when firing, and needs to be tightened about every 20 rounds.

Accuracy is actually pretty good for the very simple sights.

I have no experience with the other makers, except that they appear to be the same gun.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 7:10:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Yes, I've heard that the latest Henry's are better. I've even seen some videos with fair accuracy. (1.5" @ 25-30 yards)

But I just can't bring myself to buy another one.
View Quote

The Chiappa Little Badger will shoot better than that at 50 yards. I really don't think it would make the cut in a survival situation but it's a great little fun gun.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:12:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:19:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Only hits count.

I like to shoot and hunt with a single shot, but I might want a bit more if it was my only firearm.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes, I've heard that the latest Henry's are better. I've even seen some videos with fair accuracy. (1.5" @ 25-30 yards)

But I just can't bring myself to buy another one.

The Chiappa Little Badger will shoot better than that at 50 yards. I really don't think it would make the cut in a survival situation but it's a great little fun gun.

Only hits count.

I like to shoot and hunt with a single shot, but I might want a bit more if it was my only firearm.

I had to build my own rear sight for my badger because you guys won't do it!

Did you see the thread?
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:40:44 PM EDT
[#25]
I've got one of the newer camo ones.  Great little gun.  As others have said  the stock is fat and takes a little getting used to.  
I'm happy with mine and glad I bought it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top