Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/15/2014 10:04:15 PM EDT
I bought on of the transluscent 25 round mags with the plastic lips on top, and have at least one jam if not more per mag.  First off, it fits really tight in the well, as in you have to yank it out or shove it in.  I was using cci standard velocity and federal bulk. I think the most frequent problem was the spent casing wasnt fully ejecting.
     Do they normally fit that tight or did i get an out of spec one? The ten rounder that came with the rifle drops freely and no problems do far.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 11:04:58 PM EDT
[#1]
You are better off staying away from any mags with the plastic feed lips.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 1:37:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Make sure the bolt isn't coming in contact with the mag. This would interfere with ejection as it would slow the bolt down. It sounds like the bolt doesn't have enough speed moving rearward to eject properly. I have several of these mags and have used them off and on through the years and they've never given me any trouble.

Is the gun new? May need break in.... Clean and lubed?
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 9:15:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

The Butler Creek metal lip mags give me more problems than the "Hot Lip" mags. I think that changes from rifle to rifle.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 9:23:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The Butler Creek metal lip mags give me more problems than the "Hot Lip" mags. I think that changes from rifle to rifle.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The metal lipped one are my favorite. I like them more then the ruger made ones.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 11:14:20 AM EDT
[#5]
use a marker on the rear of mag where bolt contacts it. There may be issues with bolt barely touching the mag. After the first plastic lip mag issue, i took a round / rat tail file and relieved the rear of the mag where bolt rides through. I also use silicone spray on the coil spring and inside mag body. No issues. Probably from the relief cut i did on rear of mag.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 12:07:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

This has been my experience as well.

roy d...goes against conventional wisdom
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 7:01:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I have found that a hot lips mag needs about 200 rounds to break in. Then they are very reliable. Mine started the same way.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:50:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the replies. It is a new rifle, digital camo 50th anniversary.  I will take a closer look at the mag to see any problems, and give it a chance to break in.  I also picked up a bx25 to compare.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top