Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2014 11:43:55 AM EDT
Is this stuff pretty quiet out of a suppressed 10/22 or 22/45?

Anyone have any issues with it?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:52:26 AM EDT
[#1]
My ATF Form 4 for a rimfire, SilencerCo Sparrow suppressor was finally approved after eight months. Yeah! I was set to go with ammo and weapons.

I started with my handgun, a Walther PPQ with (obviously) a threaded barrel. First up was standard velocity Federal from a bulk pack purchased at Wally World. The results were perfect and met my expectations. I had some CCI subsonic available, too. I could barely tell the difference between the standard and the sub. As a test, I loaded a magazine with a staggered standard, sub, standard, sub, standard, standard, sub, and sub, and I had the Complainer-in-Chief listen with her eyes closed. She could not identify a difference.

I switched over to my Ruger 10-22, starting with the bulk Federal. The first round (and all the subsequent rounds) out of the barrel went supersonic. Yes, the "boom" was relatively quiet, but that's not what I wanted. I wanted very quiet, quiet. I switched over to the CCI subsonic and all was well with the world. Only one problem... I ran out of subsonic.

So... off to the internet in search of subsonic.

If you have not heard, there is a site on the net that tracks ammo availability pretty nicely, and the tracking includes pricing. Take a look at GunBot.net to see what I mean.

GunBot.net identified multiple sources of subsonic 22LR. The lowest price was for Armscor Prec. 22 LR Subsonic 36 grain. Armscor is out of the Philippines, and I was not familiar with the quality or reliability of their product. As a test, I ordered a 1,000 rounds. Happy Days! The ammo works. I've fired about 400 of the initial 1000 with zero issues. The only noise associated with firing them from my 10-22 is the action of the rifle and the impact at the target. My backyard 75-yard range terminates at a hillside. After shooting my 10-22 for three days, I am still impressed with the noise generated when that small, 36-grain load impacts the hillside.

By the way, I ordered my Armscor from AmmoSupplyWarehouse.com out of Nevada. They were quick to ship. It was an easy purchase. I just visited their site again to order more ammo. Ha!

I have not tried the Armscor ammo in my Walther PPQ as I have been having too much fun with the Ruger 10-22. The Walther cycled perfectly with the CCI subsonic, so it is my expectation that it will also cycle reliably with the Armsco subsonic. We'll see. Rich
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:47:15 PM EDT
[#2]
UPDATE: the Walther PPQ cycles perfectly with the Armscor 36g subsonic. No problem. But since the bulk Wally World Federal stays quiet through the PPQ, I'll use that as it is less expensive than the Armscor ammo. I ran a ballistic chart for the Armscor using a 75-yard zero, which is the length of my backyard range. The chart indicated that at 25 yards the impact would be about 1.9 inches high, and at 50 yards would be about 2 inches high. I pretty much found that to be the reality. Using the Armscorp subsonic and the rilfe's irons, I was able to put 10 rounds into a 5-inch circle at 75 yards. A three inch circle would probably have covered the entire group. Even so, and surprisingly, NO precision shooting teams contacted me about joining. I  am unsure why. Between the PPQ and the 10-22, I've fired about 1,000 rounds of Armscor with zero failures.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:30:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
UPDATE: the Walther PPQ cycles perfectly with the Armscor 36g subsonic. No problem. But since the bulk Wally World Federal stays quiet through the PPQ, I'll use that as it is less expensive than the Armscor ammo. I ran a ballistic chart for the Armscor using a 75-yard zero, which is the length of my backyard range. The chart indicated that at 25 yards the impact would be about 1.9 inches high, and at 50 yards would be about 2 inches high. I pretty much found that to be the reality. Using the Armscorp subsonic and the rilfe's irons, I was able to put 10 rounds into a 5-inch circle at 75 yards. A three inch circle would probably have covered the entire group. Even so, and surprisingly, NO precision shooting teams contacted me about joining. I  am unsure why. Between the PPQ and the 10-22, I've fired about 1,000 rounds of Armscor with zero failures.
View Quote

they some proud vendors for that 22 ammo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top