Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/18/2014 12:27:05 PM EDT
Yesterday at the range I had a 10 rd. factory mag FTF. I  attribute it to being "gunked up" inside as the top round hung up below the proper position.
I considered flushing it with CLP or some solvent like contact cleaner and letting it drip dry to clean it.
What's the preferred method for cleaning/lubing these?
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 12:30:05 PM EDT
[#1]
DO NOT TAKE IT APART !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trust me on that...otherwise, just do what your doing, maybe spray Brake Cleaner and then follow it up with some silicone spray, dont soak it,,let it drip dry
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 12:48:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 1:05:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks all-will check out the video later.
I considered that they may be "throw away" for the price, but am a die hard DIYer if possible.
I have 6 mags and never had a FTF before with 6-700 rds. fired through the years, also never really did any maintenance on them. I'll give it a go.
The gunk seems to be mostly "waxy" like the coating some rounds have.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 1:17:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Nice video..I still wont take mine apart regardless. Im pretty mechanic and technical but that is worse than trying to put together a Ruger MKI or MKII, lol
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 3:54:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Check out youtube.  These things are just plain easy to take apart and put back together.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 4:00:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Check out youtube.  These things are just plain easy to take apart and put back together.
View Quote

You do realize someone posted the youtube video already
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 4:38:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Face it- Blow back 10/22's are going to gunk up the magazines if you run enough rounds.

Thanks for the vid , I have in the past always refereed to the printed directions found on rimforecentral.com .
Not really that hard once you do it.

I have several (ok about 6) 10 22's and mostly only shoot factory 10s . I have quite a few mags so when a mag gets mucked up I I just set it aside and keep shooting with other mags . about every couple of years I will scoop up a dozen of the "bad" mags and clean and inspect them all .
First one takes a bit to re-teach myself but after the first they come apart and go together pretty smooth. I have been known to do the quick short cut and blow them out with silicone if I don't feel like doing the full deal.

I do also like to use some silicone on the spanky clean mag .

The mags themselves like the gun actually seems to run a bit better after shooting it a bit to get some of the gray crud spread around. A perfectly clean gun or mag might stick or hang up just a bit before it starts running smooth . I would never head to a match or plate shoot with a freshly cleaned gun
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 9:09:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Taking apart....well actually reassembling 10/22 rotary mags is a PITA the first few times you do it. I have about 15 of them and after shooting for months and months they got filthy and needed a thorough cleaning. After a lot of sweating and cursing I got the hang of it and now have no problem doing it. I learned how to do it from this site-
http://www.heypete.com/pete/shooting/rugermag.html

If you still are having problems this tool is WELL worth the $15. It makes reassembly even for a beginner a breeze. If you hesitate or flat out don't take your mags apart because of the difficulty getting them reassembled properly, cough up the $15 and your problem will be solved! Even though I can reassemble them fairly easily without the tool I still use it every time now. It cuts my time in half.

http://borelsport.com/product/ruger-1022-magazine-assembly-tool/

http://youtu.be/sM5QAqsdRf0

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:13:40 AM EDT
[#9]
First I've heard of that tool.
I never knew actually taking apart the mags was an option.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 1:15:43 PM EDT
[#10]
It would be nice to have people offer to sell me their 10 round factory mags for $2.00 each plus I pay shipping.  These mags are probably some of the easiest in the world to clean.  I clean them at the rifle range with only my little Leatherman pliers to take them apart and put them back together.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:54:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It would be nice to have people offer to sell me their 10 round factory mags for $2.00 each plus I pay shipping.  These mags are probably some of the easiest in the world to clean.  I clean them at the rifle range with only my little Leatherman pliers to take them apart and put them back together.
View Quote

Try here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top