User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 7:48:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just make sure the receiver was never sold built as a rifle, you will be good to go.
View Quote

fixed
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 7:57:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

fixed
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just make sure the receiver was never sold built as a rifle, you will be good to go.

fixed

Yep thats what I meant, thanks.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 9:16:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Took forever to open the channel to fit KIDD barrel.

I had all of the parts, so was an afternoon project.  I'm going to be adding Stormwerkz folding mechanism to it...I dig compact pistols.

Yes, that is a DBAL D2 on top...going to sight in tomorrow.

ETA:  Will be sponged camo as well...black is whack.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 9:55:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

All receivers are treated that way.  ARs aren't special.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I do believe you can buy a new receiver transferred as other, and build a pistol / charger.

Really? Who would you have to go through to do this?

Anyone that sells stripped 10/22 receivers.  Just buy it and build it as a pistol.

So 10/22 receivers are treated just like AR receivers and are transferred as other on a 4473

All receivers are treated that way.  ARs aren't special.

Do your research on a 10/22 site. This is not legal advise and should not be treated as such. The above is not a true statement on face value. Ruger registers and engraves the receives as either 10/22 rifles or Chrager pistols. A 10/22 can be SBR stamped. A Charger can be converted to a rifle, but once done it is a rifle forever. When you buy an after market receiver, you need to check how the manufacture registers the receiver with the ATF. KIDD for instance is rifle only. If you call them they will tell you this. Some receiver can be either, but once built, the Ruger rules applies. Don't take this a gospel, check for yourself. I build both 10/22's and Chargers as a hobby and spend a lot of time on the 10/22 forums. This is a frequent topic.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 10:08:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Took forever to open the channel to fit KIDD barrel.

<a href="http://s2.photobucket.com/user/aubie515/media/SBII002_zpscac4e090.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y21/aubie515/SBII002_zpscac4e090.jpg</a>

I had all of the parts, so was an afternoon project.  I'm going to be adding Stormwerkz folding mechanism to it...I dig compact pistols.

Yes, that is a DBAL D2 on top...going to sight in tomorrow.

ETA:  Will be sponged camo as well...black is whack.
View Quote

Tapco stock and the Kidd 6 inch barrel?

Also, is the 'buffer tube' on the tapco stock replaceable or did you have to modify it to get the sb15 on there?
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 10:10:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Do your research on a 10/22 site. This is not legal advise and should not be treated as such. The above is not a true statement on face value. Ruger registers and engraves the receives as either 10/22 rifles or Chrager pistols. A 10/22 can be SBR stamped. A Charger can be converted to a rifle, but once done it is a rifle forever. When you buy an after market receiver, you need to check how the manufacture registers the receiver with the ATF. KIDD for instance is rifle only. If you call them they will tell you this. Some receiver can be either, but once built, the Ruger rules applies. Don't take this a gospel, check for yourself. I build both 10/22's and Chargers as a hobby and spend a lot of time on the 10/22 forums. This is a frequent topic.
View Quote

I have checked for myself.  A receiver that has never been built as a receiver is just a receiver.  Doesn't matter if it's a 10/22, AR, AK, whatever. If Kidd is building every receiver they make as a rifle and then stripping them back down before shipping them out, then they are correct, it's a rifle.  Otherwise, they're wrong, it's just a receiver.  Also, a charger can be converted to a rifle and then back to a pistol if you want as many times as you want.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 11:05:45 PM EDT
[#7]
That is a KIDD 6" with Outback II.

The buffer tube is held in place by two screws.  I'm sure you could buy replacement from TAPCO.

I took my hack saw to the buffer tube...I also had to do a lot of work to the forearm.  Cutting the forearm wasn't bad, but it took a while to free float the barrel.

ETA:  I agree with poster above.  If the receiver was never built as a rifle AND your FFL listed it as "other" on the 4473...the owner could build a rifle or pistol...just like with an AR15.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 1:33:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I don't know what to tell the naysayers to soothe their butthurt... If a letter from the ATF doesn't do it, I don't know what will. (Do please read it, it's not the approval letter that comes with the Sig Brace. It's in response to a police officer directly asking what happens if you shoulder it.)

http://www.scribd.com/doc/216207869/SIG-BATFE-LETTER

I might name my Charger "QG" in memorial.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
"arm brace" with a folder...  Jesus...   if you are going to do this, please lose the folder.

I miss the old days, when the old timers found a loophole, they would pass it around to those in the know.   Maybe 20-30 years would go by before anyone was the wiser.   Now, 6 months into it we have to f!*king plaster it all over the interwebs for all to see.

I miss the old days and I am not really that old.  Just remember what the world was like pre-interwebs.

yeah, you won't go to jail, but when you spend $20-30k in legal fees, don't come crying.

Maybe you should warn all of my law officer customers who have done this to their AK, AR, Sig,Hera Arms pistols

yeah, the cops are going to go to jail.  what country do you think you live in nowadays?  There was another thread on a different forum were the guys thought adding an extra bolt to better secure the AK arm brace would constitute a violation of what was actually submitted to ATF for approval.  I though that concern was overblown, but what you guys are doing is that times ten...

just don't post it on the internets for all to see...

remember why this approved in the first place, for disabled people to effectively shoot heavy and long handguns like AR and AK pistols.  It wasn't needed for Glocks or Sigs and making it a folder is just rubbing it in their faces...

I don't know what to tell the naysayers to soothe their butthurt... If a letter from the ATF doesn't do it, I don't know what will. (Do please read it, it's not the approval letter that comes with the Sig Brace. It's in response to a police officer directly asking what happens if you shoulder it.)

http://www.scribd.com/doc/216207869/SIG-BATFE-LETTER

I might name my Charger "QG" in memorial.

GQ sounds like the guy who for 5 minutes insisted SUPPRESSORS AND MACHINE GUNS ARE ILLEGAL IN CO. I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU GUYS SAY, THEY'RE ILLEGAL. To Alan and i while showing some products at the MGT table. Hey guy thanks for stopping by, here take a business card.

Link Posted: 11/13/2014 1:33:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The buffer tube is held in place by two screws.  I'm sure you could buy replacement from TAPCO.

I took my hack saw to the buffer tube...I also had to do a lot of work to the forearm.  Cutting the forearm wasn't bad, but it took a while to free float the barrel.

ETA:  I agree with poster above.  If the receiver was never built as a rifle AND your FFL listed it as "other" on the 4473...the owner could build a rifle or pistol...just like with an AR15.
View Quote

FIFY.  Doesn't matter what the FFL listed it as.  It matters what it IS, and what it has been fully assembled into.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 1:51:20 AM EDT
[#10]

Do your research on a 10/22 site. This is not legal advise and should not be treated as such. The above is not a true statement on face value. Ruger registers and engraves the receives as either 10/22 rifles or Chrager pistols. A 10/22 can be SBR stamped. A Charger can be converted to a rifle, but once done it is a rifle forever. When you buy an after market receiver, you need to check how the manufacture registers the receiver with the ATF. KIDD for instance is rifle only. If you call them they will tell you this. Some receiver can be either, but once built, the Ruger rules applies. Don't take this a gospel, check for yourself. I build both 10/22's and Chargers as a hobby and spend a lot of time on the 10/22 forums. This is a frequent topic

UMM NO, One can convert a pistol in to a Rifle, then back again.   I can buy a MEC carbine upper for my glock, then return to pistol w/out violating any law. I did the same to my Draco. While awaiting ATF approval for it's conversion in to a SBR, i added side folding ace stock and a 11.5" f/hider, weleded to ATF specs. Turning it in to an interesting CAR style AK.

pg 4 2nd paragraph.

https://www.atf.gov/files/regulations-rulings/rulings/atf-rulings/atf-ruling-2011-4.pdf

http://blog.princelaw.com/2011/8/2/batfe-ruling-2011-4-pistol-to-a-rifle-and-back-to-a-pistol/
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 2:24:37 AM EDT
[#11]
I think you took the tone of what I said not as intended. It's ok, that is my bad. My point was for each person to do their own research. "I read it on the Internet" won't keep you out of jail. That was my point. This subject is debated over and over and I have no horse in the race. No offense intended to anyone. I was not calling anyone out.

On a positive note, I love the idea of a Sig brace on a Charger. Anyone that has ever shot one while standing can appreciate what the brace will do for them. Besides, it just looks great!
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 7:25:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If only I could just find the charger receiver separately. Everything else would be scrapped anyways and I could just drop in my 10/22 parts into it.
View Quote

You could buy an 80% and go that route too.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 7:54:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Once again, learn how to comprehend.  If the receiver was entered on the 4473 as other and the receiver was NEVER built as a rifle...how can it be a rifle?  It's the same logic with AR15 lowers.  If the lower receiver was never built as a rifle and on the 4473 it was listed as "other"...than the owner can build a rifle or pistol.

Just go look at the AR15 pistol section, it's pretty common knowledge that this is fact and not something read into like your assumptions.

Quoted:

FIFY.  Doesn't matter what the FFL listed it as.  It matters what it IS, and what it has been fully assembled into.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/13/2014 1:23:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:  Once again, learn how to comprehend.  If the receiver was entered on the 4473 as other and the receiver was NEVER built as a rifle...how can it be a rifle?  It's the same logic with AR15 lowers.  If the lower receiver was never built as a rifle and on the 4473 it was listed as "other"...than the owner can build a rifle or pistol.

Just go look at the AR15 pistol section, it's pretty common knowledge that this is fact and not something read into like your assumptions.

View All Quotes
Quoted:  Once again, learn how to comprehend.  If the receiver was entered on the 4473 as other and the receiver was NEVER built as a rifle...how can it be a rifle?  It's the same logic with AR15 lowers.  If the lower receiver was never built as a rifle and on the 4473 it was listed as "other"...than the owner can build a rifle or pistol.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Pal, my only point is it doesn't matter what the FFL writes on the 4473.  He can write "Martian" if he likes - it doesn't change the "other" classification of the receiver.  If it's a virgin receiver, it can be built into any Title 1 firearm classification.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 4:23:49 PM EDT
[#15]
You keep on changing your story.  In red bold you stated "what it IS, and what it has been fully assembled into" to " If it's a virgin receiver, it can be built into any Title 1 firearm classification."   Please make up your mind which position you'd like to take since you seem to be ok with flip flopping your answer.

It's a receiver and could be built into a pistol or a rifle in the end.  My charger from Ruger has always been a pistol as that was how it came from the factory.  

If someone bought a receiver that was never assembled...they would have the option to build it as a pistol.  I'm done with trying to explain that to this guy.

Quoted:

Pal, my only point is it doesn't matter what the FFL writes on the 4473.  He can write "Martian" if he likes - it doesn't change the "other" classification of the receiver.  If it's a virgin receiver, it can be built into any Title 1 firearm classification.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/13/2014 7:48:05 PM EDT
[#16]
I really like your project.  Thanks for posting it.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 4:54:30 PM EDT
[#17]
I found this post today on a Charger forum and thought it was relevant. I would post the link to the whole thread, but I don't believe that is allowed. Remember this post could be taken out of context in it's current format.

"I want to thank the above members for giving heinz sound advise. Yes, sometimes the laws are confusing so people think if Ruger can make a Charger, why can't I? Actually you can and there are two legal ways to do it. You can turn a 10/22 rifle into a Charger if you get prior approval from BATFE and a NFA tax stamp ($200). This allows you to make what BATFE considers a "short barrel rifle" (anything under 16" and/or under 26" OAL). Another way that is perfectly legal is to buy just the receiver from one of the aftermarket suppliers. The Form 4473 must be documented as "other" or if you know you are going to turn it into a pistol, it can be documented as a "pistol". In either case, you MUST BE ABLE TO PROVE to any law enforcement official that your Charger is legal. Neither of these options is cost effective because adding $200 for a tax stamp or paying nearly as much for a receiver as you would for a complete gun would drive the cost of a home made Charger higher than if you just go out and buy a factory Charger to begin with.

BTW, Ruger (and all other gun manufacturers) have to get approval from BATFE for how their serial numbers are managed, based on the Gun Control Act of 1968. Ruger chose to use "serial number prefixes" to identify specific models. All Ruger Chargers have a "490" serial number prefix whereas 10/22 rifles made before Jan 1, 1969 have no S/N prefix and those made after Jan 1, 1969 have a host of other prefixes, but none are "490". So ... even if the words "Carbine", "Charger", or other such markings are removed from the receiver, the serial number prefix will dictate if the gun was sold as a rifle or pistol.

Here's an interesting legal decision that went all the way to the US Supreme Court concerning Thompson Center back in 1992. Stephen P. Halbrook, Ph.D. - United States v. Thompson/Center Arms Co. Seems T/C started making rifle barrels and stocks for their well known T/C pistol frames. Basically, the Supreme Court ruled it was legal to convert a pistol into a rifle, providing the barrel was at least 16" long and the receiver had a rifle stock attached making OAL 26" or longer. Many people confused this with the Ruger Charger thinking they could convert a rifle into a pistol ... which is definitely NOT TRUE. Based on the Supreme Court decision, it would be legal to convert a Charger into a 10/22 rifle (barrel over 16" long plus a rifle stock, OAL = 26" or more) providing you paid the excise tax, which most people are unaware of.

The Wildlife Restoration Act of 1937 was amended in 1970 and taxes all long guns, ammunition, and archery equipment at 11% ..... handguns and handgun ammunition at 10%. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittman...estoration_Act So technically, even though it would be legal under BATFE laws to convert a pistol into a rifle, you could still be prosecuted for "tax evasion" if you didn't pay the measly couple bucks 1% difference in excise tax ... and because it involves firearms, if convicted you would lose all rights to own firearms. In other words, it's just not worth the risk of up to $250,000 in fines and imprisoned not more than 10 years, or both.

Last edited by Iowegan; Today at 02:57 PM."
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 5:43:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I found this post today on a Charger forum and thought it was relevant. I would post the link to the whole thread, but I don't believe that is allowed. Remember this post could be taken out of context in it's current format.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

"I want to thank the above members for giving heinz sound advise. Yes, sometimes the laws are confusing so people think if Ruger can make a Charger, why can't I? Actually you can and there are two legal ways to do it. You can turn a 10/22 rifle into a Charger if you get prior approval from BATFE and a NFA tax stamp ($200). This allows you to make what BATFE considers a "short barrel rifle" (anything under 16" and/or under 26" OAL). Another way that is perfectly legal is to buy just the receiver from one of the aftermarket suppliers. The Form 4473 must be documented as "other" or if you know you are going to turn it into a pistol, it can be documented as a "pistol". In either case, you MUST BE ABLE TO PROVE to any law enforcement official that your Charger is legal. Neither of these options is cost effective because adding $200 for a tax stamp or paying nearly as much for a receiver as you would for a complete gun would drive the cost of a home made Charger higher than if you just go out and buy a factory Charger to begin with.

BTW, Ruger (and all other gun manufacturers) have to get approval from BATFE for how their serial numbers are managed, based on the Gun Control Act of 1968. Ruger chose to use "serial number prefixes" to identify specific models. All Ruger Chargers have a "490" serial number prefix whereas 10/22 rifles made before Jan 1, 1969 have no S/N prefix and those made after Jan 1, 1969 have a host of other prefixes, but none are "490". So ... even if the words "Carbine", "Charger", or other such markings are removed from the receiver, the serial number prefix will dictate if the gun was sold as a rifle or pistol.

Here's an interesting legal decision that went all the way to the US Supreme Court concerning Thompson Center back in 1992. Stephen P. Halbrook, Ph.D. - United States v. Thompson/Center Arms Co. Seems T/C started making rifle barrels and stocks for their well known T/C pistol frames. Basically, the Supreme Court ruled it was legal to convert a pistol into a rifle, providing the barrel was at least 16" long and the receiver had a rifle stock attached making OAL 26" or longer. Many people confused this with the Ruger Charger thinking they could convert a rifle into a pistol ... which is definitely NOT TRUE. Based on the Supreme Court decision, it would be legal to convert a Charger into a 10/22 rifle (barrel over 16" long plus a rifle stock, OAL = 26" or more) providing you paid the excise tax, which most people are unaware of.

The Wildlife Restoration Act of 1937 was amended in 1970 and taxes all long guns, ammunition, and archery equipment at 11% ..... handguns and handgun ammunition at 10%. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittman...estoration_Act So technically, even though it would be legal under BATFE laws to convert a pistol into a rifle, you could still be prosecuted for "tax evasion" if you didn't pay the measly couple bucks 1% difference in excise tax ... and because it involves firearms, if convicted you would lose all rights to own firearms. In other words, it's just not worth the risk of up to $250,000 in fines and imprisoned not more than 10 years, or both.

There's a lot of fail in that quote.  It doesn't matter what's marked on the 4473.  It should be marked other when you buy a receiver, whether it be an AR or a 10/22 receiver.  It should NOT be marked pistol, regardless of what you plan on building.  Likewise, it should not be marked rifle.  If it is marked rifle or pistol, it's on the FFL, not you.  You can still build a virgin receiver as whatever you'd like.  

ATF ruling 2011-4 expanded the T/C case to all pistols.  Any pistol can be converted to a rifle and back again so long as an unregistered SBR is not created in the process.  T/C set the precedent for this, ATF finally decided to allow it in all cases rather than be taken to court again and lose again.  You are not going to get charged for tax evasion if you do it.  If they were going to charge people with tax evasion they'd go after everyone that buys stripped lowers and then builds them into complete rifles or pistols.  You only pay the excise tax on the receiver.  Under that guys logic, you'd be evading the excise tax every time you built an AR.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 12:12:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

[/span]
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I don't know what I am talking about

[/span]

The author of that quote is living in the past. That is not inline with ATF's recent ruling.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 5:42:47 AM EDT
[#20]
This was posted in another thread - aluminum 10/22 chasis.  $95-$125.  Same price as an AGP, but AR buffer tube compatible.

Just an other option.

Link Posted: 1/1/2015 7:43:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Anyone thought about doing a new Charger take down with an ATI folding stock and a Sig brace? Sounds like a perfect bug out gun...
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 10:41:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
A variation on this woud be the shit!

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y97/Trumpet1/sbr-digi.jpg
View Quote

I just felt a great disturbance in my wallet! What stock is that?
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 11:08:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A variation on this woud be the shit!

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y97/Trumpet1/sbr-digi.jpg

It was from an OLD thread IIRC about SBR'd .22s.  I think it was a modified Choate
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:45:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Why not just get a Nordic Kit and Kak tube. DONE. LEGAL
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:18:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Just don't be like so many other dumbasses out there who have posted pics of themselves shouldering it. Based on those pics, the ATF just passed a new law making it illegal to do so. If caught, it's bad news.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:26:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:  Just don't be like so many other dumbasses out there who have posted pics of themselves shouldering it. Based on those pics, the ATF just passed a new law making it illegal to do so. If caught, it's bad news.
View Quote

Well.  There was a letter that said you could shoulder it, and it wouldn't matter.  Then there was a letter that said if you shouldered it, you made an unregistered SBR.  BATFE can only issue regulations, which are not laws.  So those folks who posted pics of themselves shouldering it weren't dumbasses, they were doing so in accordance with a BATFE letter that had been made public.  Now that the conflicting letter has been made public, if one wants to publicly shoulder a SIG Brace, a letter from the BATFE should probably be secured.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:46:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Can anyone post these letters from over the years.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:48:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
BATFE can only issue regulations, which are not laws.
View Quote

Regulations carry the weight of law.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:56:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  BATFE can only issue regulations, which are not laws.

As long as the regulation in question can't be shown to conflict w/ the law itself.  The poster I quoted said that BATFE passed a new law, which clearly didn't happen.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:14:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

As long as the regulation in question can't be shown to conflict w/ the law itself.  The poster I quoted said that BATFE passed a new law, which clearly didn't happen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:  BATFE can only issue regulations, which are not laws.

Gotcha.  It will be shown to conflict with the law eventually, doesn't mean someone won't have to pay for the ride though.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:30:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Can anyone post these letters from over the years.
View Quote

pdf of original letter

link to atf for current letter
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 12:19:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Question about using a Sig brace on a SBR registered gun. Would it make more sense to cut a barrel down on a 10/22 take down and stamp it or stamp a Charger take down?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top