Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Good God that thing is huge.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wanted to share this review I wrote on rimfirecentral about the Glades Armory tactical bolt knob for the RAR. I haven't seen any first-hand accounts of it anywhere, so I typed one up:

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5137606#post5137606

Good God that thing is huge.

I hear that all the time

"You'll get used to it."
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 3:15:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Any updates from those of you who own them?  I've been interested in these since I first saw them online.  I have yet to see one in person though.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 3:19:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Any updates from those of you who own them?  I've been interested in these since I first saw them online.  I have yet to see one in person though.
View Quote

still have nothing but great things to say about it. great gun
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 3:31:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I posted a review..the only complaint I had was the extra long mag release, too easy to bump and drop the mag, Its nylon, so I just cut it down and smoothed it out. You could get a regular one, that is about the only part that matches a 10/22, the mag release and the magazine, nothing will cross over between 10/22 and RAR (as far as I can tell)

Outa the box, the trigger is pretty good, bolt is a big stiff, but will probably loosen up with time, they are actually very accurate, ive got the compact model. Wish they had the threaded version when I got mine, oh well.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 6:42:32 PM EDT
[#5]
The more I shoot it the more I like it.  

An outstanding value for what you pay.  Ruger did not fuck around with doing "dealer exclusives" for features like barrel length and threaded barrels; every option is available.   IMO they botched the 10/22 takedown product launch by having the factory iron sights with threaded barrel option a "dealer exclusive" instead of a normal SKU when they came out.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 1:07:04 AM EDT
[#6]
They are doing a distributor exclusive item #8307. The only difference is that it ships with a BX-25 as standard.

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 3:33:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
They are doing a distributor exclusive item #8307. The only difference is that it ships with a BX-25 as standard.

http://www.ruger.com/products/americanRimfireDE/images/8307.jpg
View Quote

Which distributor?
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 12:53:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Any one have any idea if ADCO could thread mine?  I bought it before the threaded model came out and it's so accurate I can't see selling it off .
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:36:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Any one have any idea if ADCO could thread mine?  I bought it before the threaded model came out and it's so accurate I can't see selling it off .
View Quote

You contact them and ask ?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:32:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Email sent just now.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:03:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Ordered mine last week.  Compact with a threaded barrel. Can't wait till it shows up at my local shop.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 5:12:28 PM EDT
[#12]
The more I shoot this gun, the more I enjoy shooting this gun.

I've done all of the sighting in and shooting up to this point at 25 yards. I've seen others shoot farther with good results, so I thought I'd try it out too. I wanted to see what kind of groups I'd get with different ammo, both suppressed and unsuppressed. This is all at 50 yards, 10 rounds each, bench shooting with a bipod. I didn't exactly take my time.. I probably got a shot off every 5-7 seconds or so.

I started with the big middle target, shooting CCI Mini-Mag unsuppressed. I'm not too impressed with that group.
The bottom right dot was with Federal Game-Shok, unsuppressed. I'm really surprised by the grouping with that ammo.
The top right group was with CCI Standard Velocity, with the suppressor on. Holy crap, what a group. Of course it's 1 inch low, but I still love the grouping.
The bottom left dot was where I tried to hold over 1" with CCI SV. Most of that group has to do with the inconsistency of my hold, I'm sure. This is 5 rounds.

The 10 rounds of CCI SV, aiming at the center of the black dot.

5 rounds of CCI SV, attempting to hold over 1" high

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 6:01:37 PM EDT
[#13]
I was out messing around today and figured I'd stop by Nichols (local general store type place) and see what they had.  Sure enough they had two of the standards on the shelf.  I didnt plan on buying one.  I really was more interested in a compact with threaded barrel but I checked one out anyway just to see how it felt.  They had a $259.99 price tag on it.  Then I noticed the other one had a different model number and was $30 cheaper.  At $229 I figured what the hell.  The only difference was one had a green fiber optic front site and the one I bought had a red one.  Ended up costing me $239 OTD with a free koozie and a hat.  

From there I went to Wal Mart to grab a few things and decided it wouldnt hurt to swing by the ammo counter.  They had several cases of CCI standard velocity so I snagged my 3 box limit.  My 10/22 loves that stuff.  Today was a good day.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 6:30:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I was out messing around today and figured I'd stop by Nichols (local general store type place) and see what they had.  Sure enough they had two of the standards on the shelf.  I didnt plan on buying one.  I really was more interested in a compact with threaded barrel but I checked one out anyway just to see how it felt.  They had a $259.99 price tag on it.  Then I noticed the other one had a different model number and was $30 cheaper.  At $229 I figured what the hell.  The only difference was one had a green fiber optic front site and the one I bought had a red one.  Ended up costing me $239 OTD with a free koozie and a hat.  

From there I went to Wal Mart to grab a few things and decided it wouldnt hurt to swing by the ammo counter.  They had several cases of CCI standard velocity so I snagged my 3 box limit.  My 10/22 loves that stuff.  Today was a good day.  
View Quote

that's a damn good day. and you'll love the rifle.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 8:30:33 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a little bit of work to do around the house but hopefully I'll be able to put a few rounds through it tomorrow or Monday.  If I like this I may start looking for a 17HMR version before xmas.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 9:24:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Rodenticide is the best word I can describe the RAR with.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 10:43:28 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm thinking about getting one of these but I can't decide between 17hmr and .22mag. Also not sure if I'd keep it stock or get a Boyd's Stock. Any thoughts or experience with these calibers and stocks?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:09:23 PM EDT
[#18]
has anyone heard if Ruger has hinted at making one in stainless yet?
In stainless this would make an "Ideal" behind the seat, truck gun.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:53:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
has anyone heard if Ruger has hinted at making one in stainless yet?
In stainless this would make an "Ideal" behind the seat, truck gun.
View Quote

they haven't, but I asked them if they were considering a threaded barrel version and they told me no just a few days before they announced it. So even if they were planning on it I doubt they would announce it.

and I do expect them to make one.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:42:06 PM EDT
[#20]
If they make a stainless version I will buy another, maybe two. Especially if threaded. I've been on the fence about selling my 77/22 .22 Mag and getting an American to replace it. Also considering trying a .17HMR, stainless is my preference so I might even buy all three.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 5:06:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm thinking about getting one of these but I can't decide between 17hmr and .22mag. Also not sure if I'd keep it stock or get a Boyd's Stock. Any thoughts or experience with these calibers and stocks?
View Quote

Get the .17hmr. I just ordered a .22mag RAR, and ammo has been nonexistent locally. No LR, no WMR, at all. The stores are asshole deep in .17hmr though.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 6:34:29 PM EDT
[#22]
OP, here is all I can say about the Ruger American Rimfire rifle in .17 HMR.

I bought one with a 22-inch barrel.

The front sight is canted about 15 degrees to the left to the point that you have to move your head sideways to get the front sight and rear sight lined up.  

The way the front sight is makes the iron sights pretty much useless.

Now I am not saying the barrel was seated into the receiver crookedly.  I am saying that when the barrel was seated into the receiver it apparently rotated about 15 degrees around from top dead center.

You know, this same shit happens to AKs all the time.  

Since I have already purchased a Leupold scope for it and the barrel itself looks straight in the receiver, I think it will shoot and and zero just fine.

The manual front sight can just sit there tilted 15 degrees to the left as far as I am concerned.

MIne must have been made first thing Monday morning or at 4:55 p.m. on Friday afternoon.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 2:29:44 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a 22 mag American and have only owned one 22 that shot any better.  Bought one of the original T-bolt Browning's while I was in Alaska in 66.  That rifle at 100 yards was without a doubt accurate.  After sighting in at 100 yards I had my friend put a nickle on the target, hit it with first shot.  Had him put it back up and hit it again.  The T-Bolt was in 22 long and is one of the only guns I wish I never sold.

Lead Foot
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:38:31 AM EDT
[#24]
This thread was helpful to me and lead to an eventual purchase, so I thought I'd give back.

Picked up a threaded barrel version recently and finally got out to the range yesterday.  My goal was to zero the scope and test it out suppressed.  Initial observations:

1.  This thing is really fun to shoot.  It's my first bolt gun and running it was really a blast.

2.  Though I zero'd with bulk back Federal, I only ran CCI SV and CCI Quiet through the suppressor.  At 25 yards, the CCI Quiet was impacting 2-3" lower than the CCI SV.  I'll pay more attention to accuracy next time.

3.  The CCI SV was very quiet.  The CCI quiet was a joke.  At first I thought the rounds weren't making it out of the gun.

My set up has the Leupold PRW medium rings (low would have worked as well), a Leupold Vx-III 2.5-8x, DIP scope base, and SiCo SS Sparrow.

Highly recommend this thing.

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top