Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 10:01:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just want a stock to for the ruger compact thats lightweight, doesn't contact the barrel, has a rubber buttpad and doesn't change the shorter LOP of the compact.

I mean, the ruger american rimfire is a awesome little deal. Why would ruger deprive me of a cheap rubber buttpad, lol. So simple and stupid yet bothers the crap out of me.
View Quote

Honestly, how many factory .22 stocks have a rubber buttpad?

I would like to see Ruger start offering this stock and the low profile peep sights from the anniversary contest rifle mre of the 10/22s.
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 7:15:28 PM EDT
[#2]
does anybody know offhand if the MSRP changed on the RAR with the new changes? The gun is $250 at Academy, but Ruger's website is showing MSRP at over $300. I'm wondering if the price increased or if that's what MSRP always was
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 8:02:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
does anybody know offhand if the MSRP changed on the RAR with the new changes? The gun is $250 at Academy, but Ruger's website is showing MSRP at over $300. I'm wondering if the price increased or if that's what MSRP always was
View Quote

I have no idea if it changed but rugers MSRP is always very high
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 8:51:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Keep in mind that not all models are threaded:
http://www.ruger.com/products/americanRimfire/models.html

Threaded MSRP is 359 compared to 329 unthreaded. Ruger always has super high MSRP.

Anyone know where online to order one? I can't find any in online stores.
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 9:03:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Threaded MSRP is 359 compared to 329 unthreaded. Ruger always has super high MSRP.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

that's why I asked. the non-threaded version is currently $249 at Academy (regularly $269). If the threaded version's MSRP is only $30 higher, I'd expect Academy to carry it for around $299. But if MSRP has gone up with the release of the threaded version, the non-threaded might go up to something like $299 and the threaded version would be $329. I'm just trying to figure out what to expect.

either way I'm buying one as soon as I can find one.
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 11:32:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
RAR page

Just got an email from Ruger today announcing threaded barrel models. No stainless but I think l'll have to go ahead a get one.
View Quote

That's what I've been holding out for... now to wait for them to be available.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 6:19:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
RAR page

Just got an email from Ruger today announcing threaded barrel models. No stainless but I think l'll have to go ahead a get one.

Ruger has been pretty good about having the first batch of a new product available when it is announced. I would expect them to start turning up at dealers within a few days. After a couple weeks after the first batch sells they might be scarce for a little while. We'll see.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 8:51:30 AM EDT
[#8]
I ordered one for my nephew last week. The LGS has it in. I pick it up Saturday. $273 out the door for it.
I was gonna get a Savage Mark II but decided on the RAR because of the mags and it having open sights and also tapped for scope mounts.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 10:45:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I ordered one for my nephew last week. The LGS has it in. I pick it up Saturday. $273 out the door for it.
I was gonna get a Savage Mark II but decided on the RAR because of the mags and it having open sights and also tapped for scope mounts.
View Quote

threaded barrel?
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 11:12:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

You're a pretty cool uncle.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 12:09:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

threaded barrel?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

threaded barrel?

No threaded barrel.
Model 8301
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 12:12:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He is 8 and he's started asking about going to the range. I don't have a .22lr for him to shoot, so I figured I'd get him this.
I don't have kids of my own.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 1:06:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

He is 8 and he's started asking about going to the range. I don't have a .22lr for him to shoot, so I figured I'd get him this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you get the compact? I first looked at the long one and ended up ordering the compact, the Longer one has a pretty long LOP
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 1:19:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Did you get the compact? I first looked at the long one and ended up ordering the compact, the Longer one has a pretty long LOP
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

After playing with both I cant decide which one I will order. Probably the compact but I could shoot either.

Really wish they would have done 16" barrels on these threaded ones.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 1:40:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are the same stock. The difference is the stock modules. The compact comes with the shorter ones. If it's too long for him, I'll order the compact modules.
I was concerned the compact would be too short for me.
If my nephew doesn't take up shooting, the rifle will be for me to use.
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 3:24:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Handled one today and everything was ok but I noticed the stock flexed rather easily.  Bolt seemed smooth enough, not great but should slick up with time.  Was thinking the RAR or a 10/22 for the boy from Christmas but may have to handle it again.
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 5:18:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Thanks for checking.  Looks like CZ is getting my money then.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just jumped on the Ruger website to see if there was any news about threaded barrel versions.  

Nothing yet, but it seems like there is a relatively new RAR threaded model available in all the centerfire variants.   Ruger Predator

Hope that means a threaded rimfire model is around the corner.

Interesting. I'd buy that in .22

I emailed Ruger and asked if they were planning on adding a threaded RAR. They said no, but that they'd forward my request to their marketing dept.

Thanks for checking.  Looks like CZ is getting my money then.

I already have a CZ.  Nice guns.  The Ruger looked and felt good to me, but not enough to make me spring for one.  I might still buy a vintage 77-22 if I EVER find one at a decent price.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 5:45:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Got my RAR Saturday and the scope came in today (cheap Simmons 3-9x AO).

Took it to the range and sighted it in, and it is shooting 3/4" 10-shot groups at 25 yards (the longest lane available at my local indoor range). It likes CCI Mini-Mags and CCI Std Velocity.

Sweet little rifle ... and cheap at $235 shipped! Oh, and Simmons has a $30 rebate offer up now, so my $64 scope will end up costing me a whole $34.  
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 5:52:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Got my RAR Saturday and the scope came in today (cheap Simmons 3-9x AO).

Took it to the range and sighted it in, and it is shooting 3/4" 10-shot groups at 25 yards (the longest lane available at my local indoor range). It likes CCI Mini-Mags and CCI Std Velocity.

Sweet little rifle ... and cheap at $235 shipped! Oh, and Simmons has a $30 rebate offer up now, so my $64 scope will end up costing me a whole $34.  
View Quote

Good deal..

you should be able to get dime size groups at 50yrds...ive got some older bushnell 3x9 and it works great. mine likes CCI and Aquila Extra. It didnt like Winchester Super X varmint
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 1:19:59 PM EDT
[#20]
I'll buy one when its a takedown model with a threaded barrel.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 3:22:35 PM EDT
[#21]
I liked mine well enough that I got it threaded by my Smith. Between the can and the re-crown it really tightened my groups up. It should be a fine squirrel killer.

When you look at the extra price Ruger will charge (looks to be around $100.00) for the threaded version and it's pretty much a wash price wise if you have a local Smith thread one for you and as a bonus you end-up with a nice cleaned-up crown, the length you want, and the job done right.

I seen several poor factory threading/crown jobs on 10-22s on the net of late.

Link Posted: 7/17/2014 8:44:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I liked mine well enough that I got it threaded by my Smith. Between the can and the re-crown it really tightened my groups up. It should be a fine squirrel killer.

http://oi61.tinypic.com/2jb5ekg.jpg

When you look at the extra price Ruger will charge (looks to be around $100.00) for the threaded version and it's pretty much a wash price wise if you have a local Smith thread one for you and as a bonus you end-up with a nice cleaned-up crown, the length you want, and the job done right.

I seen several poor factory threading/crown jobs on 10-22s on the net of late.

View Quote

the MSRP appears to be about $30 higher. Cheapest I've seen for a thread job.

Still haven't seen one in person. I do see them available online from time to time though.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 9:38:08 PM EDT
[#23]
I picked up my threaded RAR today. Haven't been able to do anything with it but they are out.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 11:28:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I picked up my threaded RAR today. Haven't been able to do anything with it but they are out.
View Quote

Price? Would love to know the length of the threads
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 11:45:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$280 ish (I bought a couple of things and I don't remember exactly what the breakdown was. I didn't measure but the threads are shorter than my 10/22TDT and look about the proper length.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 7:02:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Just got in my threaded RAR this week.  It was ordered on Gallery of Guns and came in at just under $280.  So far I have only fired it off hand with the iron sights to function fire it and check out the sound with my Silencerco Sparrow.  As expected it had minimal noise with the subsonic ammo that I used.  This included CCI Subsonic, SK Subsonic, Gemtech Silencer Subsonic and American Eagle Suppressor.  I measured the thread length right at  0.4".   So far I am happy with this purchase.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 8:02:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Where did you find it?
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 9:32:36 PM EDT
[#28]
I picked up my threaded barrel RAR from my local dealer yesterday, July 17th. My DIP scope rail came today. . For everyone's info I measured the threads and they are Exactly .400, cut clean, and look perfect. I ordered mine from galleryofguns.com, ie Davidson's. $275.00. I am Very Happy with how everything turned out.
It was a good experience.

Link Posted: 7/18/2014 10:18:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Where did you find it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where did you find it?

Local store ordered it for me. I asked him about it as soon as I saw the announcement and he was able to order one a few days later.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 8:56:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I picked up my threaded barrel RAR from my local dealer yesterday, July 17th. My DIP scope rail came today. . For everyone's info I measured the threads and they are Exactly .400, cut clean, and look perfect. I ordered mine from galleryofguns.com, ie Davidson's. $275.00. I am Very Happy with how everything turned out.
It was a good experience.

View Quote

Now if this rain would quit I could go shoot it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:18:51 PM EDT
[#31]
FYI. Cheaperthandirt has the threaded version of the RAR for $250.

Yea, spare me the lecture about CTD.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 2:53:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Ordered my threaded barrel standard  RAR from my local gun store. $299.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 1:17:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Getting one from CTD today as well.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 4:06:00 PM EDT
[#34]
I picked mine up today, put a scope and my suppressor on it and took it to the range.

Very pleased with the rifle. It is a better shooter than I am. I like the trigger.

The ammo is was shooting didn't seem to stay subsonic, but that's not a fault of the gun or the suppressor.

Either way, very pleased with the quality of the gun, especially for the price.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 12:37:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

I bought the 22mag one from CTD just now. Anyone know where to get 22magnum mags, both factory & aftermarket?
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 12:46:37 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I bought the 22mag one from CTD just now. Anyone know where to get 22magnum mags, both factory & aftermarket?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

5th thread below this one. I like the shooters ridge.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_11/429458_10_22_Magnum___Hi_Capacity_Magazines_.html
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 7:33:37 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Make sure to check to see that its not on the RE-CALL list. the .22mag reciever needs to have a pressure hole in it, if it does not,,it needs to go back..Check on line for what im referring to. The .22lr werent effected by this. just the .22mag
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 10:40:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Make sure to check to see that its not on the RE-CALL list. the .22mag reciever needs to have a pressure hole in it, if it does not,,it needs to go back..Check on line for what im referring to. The .22lr werent effected by this. just the .22mag
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is the recall on the earlier ones without the threaded barrel or on the ones they just released with TB?
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:44:40 AM EDT
[#39]
I went out and shot it for the second time, this time with subsonics and the Spectre II. I also brought my stock 10/22.

Initial thoughts after shooting the 10/22 for the first time in forever were that my RAR is crazy accurate and the trigger is SO nice in comparison. The more I shoot the RAR the more I like the trigger. I also used TW25b on the bolt and the action was incredibly smooth. Having a bolt action really makes you realize how much noise and motion the semiauto bolt causes.

Overall I couldn't be happier with this rifle. It's so much fun to shoot, especially with the can.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:42:46 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Is the recall on the earlier ones without the threaded barrel or on the ones they just released with TB?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

the first batch that went out..not the TB models. and I dont believe it was for the 22lr just magnums
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:26:16 PM EDT
[#41]
if you like iron sights Tech-sights MXT200 set fits great
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 4:31:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
FYI. Cheaperthandirt has the threaded version of the RAR for $250.

Yea, spare me the lecture about CTD.
View Quote

Ditto. Damn you, CTD, and your ctd prices...
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 7:26:45 PM EDT
[#43]
I find my RAR an uncompromising hella fun reliable .22lr laser.   I bought it for a semi-auto hunting ban state rodent gun, yet find myself taking it to the range every time.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 2:34:33 PM EDT
[#44]
I wanted to share this review I wrote on rimfirecentral about the Glades Armory tactical bolt knob for the RAR. I haven't seen any first-hand accounts of it anywhere, so I typed one up:

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5137606#post5137606
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:31:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I wanted to share this review I wrote on rimfirecentral about the Glades Armory tactical bolt knob for the RAR. I haven't seen any first-hand accounts of it anywhere, so I typed one up:

View Quote

Nice write up. I'll make a copy of pg 2 in the manual instead of BnF, or writing in it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:03:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Nice write up. I'll make a copy of pg 2 in the manual instead of BnF, or writing in it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

definitely one way of doing it. I'm hoping Glades will make that change based on my feedback. It really was a huge hassle for me and should be very minor for them to change.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 8:03:27 PM EDT
[#47]
I have a compact in 22 magnum and it shoots very well. I also shoot 22 WRF ammo through it. Shoots like a laser. Has killed many a squirrel already this year. Great rifle in my opinion.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 8:07:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I have a compact in 22 magnum and it shoots very well. I also shoot 22 WRF ammo through it. Shoots like a laser. Has killed many a squirrel already this year. Great rifle in my opinion.
View Quote

Do you have the upgraded one or one of the ones on the recall list?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:13:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Yea...Well it must be in the air. I went last friday and put a .22 American in law a way at my local shop...
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:56:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Good God that thing is huge.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top