Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/31/2014 10:24:10 AM EDT
Every time I go to the range I take numerous boxes of ammo and the usually includes a couple bulk pack boxes.  Inevitably, the cheap carboard boxes start falling apart.  I was thinking that a large pill bottle (like Costco Vitamin Bottle size) with a little silica gel pack might work well.  What do you use to hold your bulk packs that won't fall apart like the original box?
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 10:31:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Ziplock bags
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 10:36:28 AM EDT
[#2]
I toss it in a spare ammo can or use tupperware containers.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 11:50:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I did the tupperware type container, but eventually the lid got too loose, so now it ghetto rigged it with duct tape.  I may try a big vitamin bottle
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 12:14:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Ammo can 5.56/50 cal one or just a sturdy plastic one depending on how much I want to carry
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 1:24:06 PM EDT
[#5]
30 cal can or the equivalent sized plastic ones
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 4:31:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Empty Miracle Whip jar.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 8:05:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Walmart in the Rubbermaid isle:

Home Depot screw isle:

Link Posted: 5/31/2014 8:27:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Nothing works better than Crossman Airsoft BB Container. Also has a screw lid, and the plastic is good and strong. I also put little bags of desiccant in there too to keep the ammo happy.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 10:10:21 AM EDT
[#9]
I must be doing it wrong? i have never had a bulk pack last me more than a 3 trips to the range. (550rds)

pack goes from storage to range bag, bag to bench, open it once for the day, back in the bag and back in storage.  if i have less than 50rds left over i toss them in my mk3 mag loader.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 12:00:43 PM EDT
[#10]
I dump about half a bulk pack into the heavy duty EZ Zip quart size bags.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 12:21:15 PM EDT
[#11]
I take all my ammo I am going to shoot in a steel ammo can. Usually the bigger one. It holds all my ammo and my mag loaders.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 5:24:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Every time I go to the range I take numerous boxes of ammo and the usually includes a couple bulk pack boxes.  Inevitably, the cheap carboard boxes start falling apart.  I was thinking that a large pill bottle (like Costco Vitamin Bottle size) with a little silica gel pack might work well.  What do you use to hold your bulk packs that won't fall apart like the original box?
View Quote

My dad is a (retired) wildlife manager.  He has ran quite a few private hunting plantations and still consults for a couple of them.    As a kid, I remember him using an aspirin bottle to keep .22 rounds dry when we coon hunted.    I just took a peek in the dash of his truck.  Sure enough, there's a pill bottle there with .22 rounds.
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 9:38:04 PM EDT
[#13]
ammo can. I also saw someone use a quart Gatorade bottle.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 4:58:38 PM EDT
[#14]
I use (empty) peanut butter jar(s). Sturdy, screw top and easy to work from.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 9:31:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Pods for paintballs.
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 7:06:57 AM EDT
[#16]
I buy and use these on my AR and then use these cans for .22:

Link Posted: 6/7/2014 8:18:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Pods for paintballs.
View Quote

Those + carrier = an impressive loadout.

Link Posted: 6/7/2014 1:23:30 PM EDT
[#18]
ammo cans work well for me
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 1:27:55 PM EDT
[#19]
What I use...not my picture. Holds a 500 brick.

Link Posted: 6/7/2014 2:53:11 PM EDT
[#20]
I only buy 2 kinds of Federal, regular bulk and automatch...so I just dump the packs in a 30 caliber ammo can and tear the top of the pack off and toss it in so I know what it is. Probably not practical if you buy a bunch of different brands.
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 9:41:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Ypu guys better be carefull when making samiches and drinks with all this excess ammo in peanut butter and gotorade jars. I have a slim ammo can dedicated for 22lr on the shelf in the garage and load out all my amo into a milk crate for the range. Small cardboard boxes from mail order items campartmenatalize the box so it is easy to keep 9mm, 5.56, 308, 12ga and 22lr devided. And the mags are set up the same way in the same crate. This way I never leave mags behind and have ammo for verythign when I get to the range. It took some reworking to get it right and it is till evolving. I even have my field armorers kit I built in a fishing trinkets flat devider bin stashed along one side. It has a needle oiler full of mobil one and an eydroper full of morvel mystery oil. cleaning rods and end for all calibers, patches, pics, brishes, a min screwdriever with a doxen bits, a handful of allen wrenchers, front sight tool for AR and HK, ods and ends and pare parts. When we get to the range and set up I put the 22lr brick on the table for the kids and almost always they burn through 500 rounds in under an hour, but the day gets cut short or for whatever reason they do not burn the whle brick then it ges back in it's spot in the crate.

I know milk crates are not the easiest thing to get your hands on. But walmart, home depot, and the like sell some plastic work/storage totes and they are now carying smaller sizes not to much diferent from a milk creat witht he advantage of a wter tight lockable lid and no holes on thesides and bottom. This makes geting ready to go to the range and getting ready to leave a lot easier than loose boxes and a bunch of ammo cans to deal with. i used t do the ammo can thing but now it is me plus three or more most rang day. If it is just me then I just toss 500 rounds of 556 and 200 rouns of 9mm in a rifle bag with mags and guns and go.

Other than my set up, the quart rubermade containers makes a lot of sense as does the paintball tubes. Both are cheap and durrabl if you take a while to burn a brik of 22lr. I used to burn 2 bricks on any given day growing up. So sad that my kids can't do the same.
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 3:46:54 AM EDT
[#22]
I reuse the 100 round plastic boxes that mini mags come in.
I'll fill like five or so every time we go shooting.
The nice thing is you just slide the lid back to expose 10 or 15 rounds and dump them in your hand to reload mags.
No guessing or counting as they are in rows of 5 in box.
And being i'm usually the one sitting there reloading for kids, it makes it alot easier.

Link Posted: 6/8/2014 4:03:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 1:09:48 AM EDT
[#24]

That is the ticket right there.
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 3:33:09 AM EDT
[#25]

This is my solution

(sans fabulous braclets)  
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 8:06:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 5:41:45 AM EDT
[#27]

you'd never find enough 22lr to fill it up
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 5:03:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 6:56:30 PM EDT
[#29]
small toolbox from walmart holds 2 550 round boxes, earplugs, plus a box or 2 of minimags and spare 10-22 magazines.  i think it was included with the toolbox i bought to house my cleaning kit and gun tools
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:05:30 PM EDT
[#30]
I use 3 pack racquetball tubes from Wally World. Like $3. Give the balls to the kids and use Goo Gone to get the labels off. Each tube will hold brick of ammo and 2 tubes will fit in my Ruger takedown bags inside pouches!

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 7:36:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 3:29:23 PM EDT
[#32]
For a 500 rnd. brick I used to use an M14 double magazine pouch.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 7:51:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:02:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Look this site over. They use large pill bottles and energy drink bottles to store 22 ammo.. Maybe this will help..
https://www.facebook.com/Rollupcase
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:56:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I reuse the 100 round plastic boxes that mini mags come in.
I'll fill like five or so every time we go shooting.
The nice thing is you just slide the lid back to expose 10 or 15 rounds and dump them in your hand to reload mags.
No guessing or counting as they are in rows of 5 in box.
And being i'm usually the one sitting there reloading for kids, it makes it alot easier.

View Quote

That's a lot of work
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 4:51:18 AM EDT
[#36]
First drink and then fill with your favorite brand .22 ammo.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 3:12:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I did the tupperware type container, but eventually the lid got too loose, so now it ghetto rigged it with duct tape.  I may try a big vitamin bottle
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I found that the 16oz Argo corn starch containers work well for storing loose ammo.
They are a nice square box shape and also easily fit the plastic Plano ammo cans.
You can fit 2 per can and have room on top for other items.

Another option is the bottles that airsoft bbs come in, probably lots of options in your kitchen or pantry.
Koop Aid has a 19oz drink mix container, Country Time lemonade has a 23.9 oz container as well.
Unfortunately these are round, but the do have screw on lids and the mouth tapers down (almost a funnel shape so you probably won't spill the entire contents if they are tipped over).

Most of the items are free and would be pitched otherwise, naturally I would avoid cardboard containers or those without a screw on lid for obvious reasons.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 4:24:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Nalgene bottle. one of the short ones w/ a desiccant pack inside. screw on lid and damn near indestructible
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top