Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2014 9:36:05 PM EDT
I learned to shoot on a BB gun with open sights, then moved straight to a 10/22 with scope. Going to be teaching a kid ~14y.o. to shoot. Anyone have advice on a good basic setup that I can upgrade as his skill level increases? Going to get based off of a Takedown Tactical
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 10:41:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Bolt buffer, extended magazine release, better trigger/sear.

Not much more you need to do at all, unless you want a scope.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 12:13:56 AM EDT
[#2]

Get some tech sights, a sling and 3x magazines then take him to an appleseed shoot.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 12:53:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:53:03 AM EDT
[#4]
caution him on the fact that a 10/22 extractor may not reliably extract a loaded round...and to check the chamber every time
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:12:01 AM EDT
[#5]
I was considering the tech sights. No Appleseed though. I did it, was miserable left. Meh, I doubt this kid would enjoy it either.

Good sling and better sights. That's the plan I guess. I like that new 10/22s have the extended mag release.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 3:09:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Tactical stock (to fit all users including small children and petite women all the way up to tall men).  Mid-range red dot sight like a Primary Arms or Bushnell TRS-25.

I have the Sportman's Warehouse version with a target chamber (no hyper-velocity ammo!) and Green ATI folding stock.  I don't see it on Ruger's web page, but it is similar to the grey and black ATI stocks shown on the "dealer exclusives" tab, just green.

Mike
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 3:37:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Bolt buffer is nice, several to choose from.
Target hammer makes a much nicer trigger feel, about 30 bucks
extended mag release is a nice adder too.
Haven't tried tech sights but many rave about them.

Sure you can spend a few hundred for a Kidd, but for 30 bucks you can vastly improve the trigger.  For many a point of diminishing returns for the extra money.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:25:31 PM EDT
[#8]
We have a ladies day at our range. The ones that shot for the 1st time with a scope did much better than the ones with open sights.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:49:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Nothing. Shoot it. Don't waste your money on useless gimmicks.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:44:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 1:05:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, I was thinking more along the likes of a sling and potentially better sights. But stock works too.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 11:41:44 PM EDT
[#12]
If you are going with teaching the basics, a better set of open sights would be a good start.  I learned shooting using open sights.  Having a good scope is always nice.  I would not be too concerned about the trigger group unless you are getting more into bench rest shooting and competition.  Lots of ammo, magazines, and targets would be my main objective then go from there.  Have fun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top