Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2014 1:17:05 PM EDT
I put a Nikon P-22 2-7 on my M&P mounted in the Nikon rings.  The rings are on the receiver but as far forward as possible.  

I zeroed it at 50 yards with Federal Bulk ammo.  I had to crank it up 3 full rotations to get a zero.  That seemed like a lot to me.

Anyone else have this setup and where is your zero on the elevation knob?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:37:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I put a Nikon P-22 2-7 on my M&P mounted in the Nikon rings.  The rings are on the receiver but as far forward as possible.  

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m78/Ironmaker/7D9C33F7-07B8-4E22-8B43-EA597A2D4E53_zpsvpxdzawd.jpg

I zeroed it at 50 yards with Federal Bulk ammo.  I had to crank it up 3 full rotations to get a zero.  That seemed like a lot to me.

Anyone else have this setup and where is your zero on the elevation knob?
View Quote

You had to crank it up three full rotations from WHERE?
The center point of the entire vertical travel range of the elevation turret?
Or from the furthest "DOWN" (stopped) position of the turret?
Or wherever it happened to be set at out of the box?

How many rotations of the elevation turret does that scope offer from the "UP" stop to the "DOWN stop?
(Preferably with the windage dial at or near the center of its' travel; if it's near the stop at one side or the other, you'll have far less vertical travel available on the elevation turret, and vice/versa.
(Because circles are tallest and widest at their respective centers. )
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:34:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Also, that scope is quite high for your rifle.
You want the centerline of the scope and bore to be as close as possible.
Your rifle is, essentially, an m16/m4
Your nose is supposed to touch the charging handle. Can you clearly see through the scope in this position?

While Kroniik's post is correct, I think your scope is too high.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 11:23:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I can't comment on the zero but your scope height is just fine.  It's just about impossible to put a scope really low on any AR because of the stock and the top of the rifle being so close, I have no idea what the other poster is talking about.

Here's a pic of my Colt LE6920, considered the closest civilian AR to the M4, with it's Trijicon ACOG, same scope used by the military obviously.  As you can see the scope has to sit high enough that when resting your cheek on the stock it lines up with your eye, which is basically impossible with a lower mounted scope.  My ACOG sits at the same height as the buis.

Here's my S&W M&P15-22 with it's Nikon Prostaff Rimfire 3-9x40 150 BDC in Burris PEPR mounts.

As you can see your scope location is just fine.  I don't remember how close my scope was to zero when I mounted it but if I remember correctly, it was pretty close.  You're using a Nikon scope designed for a .22, in Nikon rings, it should be ok.  If it seems really off to you perhaps there was something in the scope rings when you mounted it or you have it tightened in a way it's torquing the scope.  If you got it zeroed and it shoots accurately and still have a good bit of adjustment in it, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Good looking setup by the way!

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 1:09:11 AM EDT
[#4]
After thinking about it, all of my other turret scopes are on 20 MOA bases (which gives you more up elevation).  That may be why I am used to scopes being at or near the bottom for their short range zero.

I do wonder about a burr on the rings or if I have the scope up against the turret mechanism housing.  I pushed it as far forward in the rings as I could, may a smidgen too far.  I think I'll lap the rings and remount it.  

I know about shooting nose to the charging handle and I know the scope height is correct.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:34:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Yup.  
Your mounting height appears to be fine for an AR.

And the last pic shows both windage and elevation turrets both fairly near center, assuming ( since you didn't answer my questions in the first post), six or seven full revolutions of the turret from stop-to-stop (?)
I think you're in pretty good shape unless you went full partial retard and clamped the front ring that tightly to the turret block.
If you did, you should loosen the rings and slide the scope back an eighth-inch.
No need to lap them IMO.

edited: On second look, the windage turret looks to be set somewhat  "Left" of center by about one revolution or so, but not too awful.
Not much you can do about that anyway.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top