Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2014 2:14:47 AM EDT
I have a 22 ciener conversion in a m4a3 bushmaster rifle with a 1/7 twist I have had for years it always shot fine.
I have installed a huntertown arms guardian 22 suppressor and now it literally throws rounds all over the place.
I have pulled the suppressor and checked for any baffle strikes and end cap strikes and there is no damage whatsoever.
Any ideas on what to do to resolve this?

I updated that was 1/7 twist oops
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 2:41:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I dont know whether or not to read your 1in3 twist literally. That is way too fast for even heavy 223 rounds.
A 22lr needs only 1in16 to stabilize. The faster twist increases pressure which might be destabilizing the round in the suppressor. You dont need baffle strikes for inaccuracies.

Id try a different suppressor on that rifle and try your suppressor on another rifle.

Lets see what happens.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 2:45:45 AM EDT
[#2]
If all things are tight I would suspect non-concentric threads on the Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:35:55 AM EDT
[#3]
.22 cans are designed for the threading on .22's. the treading on an AR flash hider is deaper than that of a normal .22. Surfire or Gemtech makes a washer pack that you can use to get your can at the proper depth. You can also beat up your blast chamber and first baffle if your seating the can to deap.

I've found that my guardian has little to no shift in impact point if you adjust it properly.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:47:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Since the thread depth spec is .600" on most AR barrels, and the spec on most.22 cans is .400", as mentioned above, I would definitely suggest getting a .200" spacer and give that a try. It may very well cure your POI issue. I believe both Gemtech and SilencerCo make them. The one I use on my AR barrels is made by SiCo and is threaded vs smooth inside, IIRC.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:20:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I am going to try spacers next, if that fails I am going to buy a 22 1in 16 twist barrel and have it installed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top