Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/16/2014 2:05:01 PM EDT
So I finally got to the range with my '62 Marlin 39A.  Jeebus, what a sweet shooter!  Nice heft, feels like an "adult" rifle, and the action is like a bank vault.  Now, the only problem is I was shooting at an indoor range and apparently my 42 year old eyes suck!  I immediately took off the front sight hood, but it was still hard to acquire a good sight picture.  What is an acceptable alternative sight option that will be easier to pick up/shoot accurately with that is "authentic"?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 4:25:12 AM EDT
[#1]
If I were in your shoes, this is what I would go with. http://www.skinnersights.com/2.html
My 39A Mountie that I got from my grandfather is the last gun that will ever leave my possession.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:59:56 AM EDT
[#2]
yep, I have to take the hoods off front sights too.  You may have at a double disadvantage indoors.  Sometimes their lighting is in the wrong spot for your particular lane.  I used to see that in a few indoor ranges where every other lane had a light behind it and the dark lanes had issues for some sight systems.

That skinner looks nice.  I always liked the old steel lymans on those.   The skinner seems like a well made option too.  Especially for a set it up once and then use it hunting .22 for squirrels.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:09:57 AM EDT
[#3]
The hood is meant to protect the sight when transporting the rifle and is taken off when shooting.  Which is probably the main reason why so many old Marlins don't have the hood any more.  I transport the 39 in a case and leave the hood in a drawer at home.

There are quite a few sight options for the 39.  Open, peep - receiver and tang mounted, and, of course, optics on the rail that you can mount to the receiver.  Go to Rimfirecentral.com for lots of discussions.

Best of luck whatever you decide, and enjoy that 39.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top