Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/10/2014 6:04:04 AM EDT
I am setting up a 16" bolt gun (Savage MKII, not sure of twist) with a 10x mildot scope (didn't measure reticle ht, but 50mm Obj, IOR Med rings so about 1.1") and want to get ideas for the best distance to zero the gun with 40gr subsonic ammo.
Last week I was nailing the bull at 100yds, moved the target back to 50yds and was about 3" high.
Looking for info regarding the most versatile range to zero the rifle. Thanks.

ETA: Trying to get max distance I can lob the subs.

ETA: found an online ballistics calculator, very cool.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 6:30:04 AM EDT
[#1]
depends on the distance you'll be shooting at and your scope. i'm zeroed at 50 and my scope has graduations for bullet drop i use for other distances.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 6:39:58 AM EDT
[#2]
http://www.hawkeoptics.com/chairgun.html

Play with it yourself - you'll get a ton more info than just ideal 0 - so you can see how much drop you have with any zero at all ranges. A fair approach is to set the zero where you have the longest point blank range within the range you shoot.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 7:03:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
http://www.hawkeoptics.com/chairgun.html

Play with it yourself - you'll get a ton more info than just ideal 0 - so you can see how much drop you have with any zero at all ranges. A fair approach is to set the zero where you have the longest point blank range within the range you shoot.
View Quote

Cool, Thanks
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 7:50:19 AM EDT
[#4]
It would depend on how tall and how close the trees are, and how big the squirrels are.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 3:07:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Depends on scope reticle and height above bore.
I say reticle because I dont use a high speed mil dot for my plinker.

My "rough" #s for CCI 40gr are:
Zero @ 25yds  
-1/2" @ 50
-1.5" @ 65
My groups open to about 1.5" @ 65 so I stay here or under

At 9x on my tascos duplex reticle, the part where the line thickens is very close to 1.5" from center @ 65yds, so that helps. The 1/2" @ 50 is easy.

I always have the muffler on  and the CCI give me good results

Eta: I use the strelok app
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 5:06:05 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

It would depend on how tall and how close the trees are, and how big the squirrels are.
View Quote
Actually in regards to what are you going to do with it and what ranges will you be shooting it at there is some truth to this. I zero mine at 50yds.

Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:44:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Actually in regards to what are you going to do with it and what ranges will you be shooting it at there is some truth to this. I zero mine at 50yds.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.
Zero at 50 yards
1/2 low at 25
1/2 high at 65
Head shot on a squirrel anywhere between those distances.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 12:02:49 AM EDT
[#8]
50 yard line.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 2:24:51 PM EDT
[#9]
I use a 25 and can hit small squirrel plates out to 100 with POA/POI.

Link Posted: 4/13/2014 9:21:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

What rifle setup?
How big are the plates?
What is your vertical difference in poa/poi at 100?

By my calcs, on an average day with 40gr zeroed to 25yds, your scope would have to be 4.5" above the bore. Maybe on a ar15 setup, but I couldnt see on a standard bolt rig.

Just wondering
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 12:09:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I use Strelok and its been pretty spot on for me when shooting 0-200yds.  Based on Strelok there's roughly 7-8" drop using CCI Standard out to 100yds using a 25yd zero
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:54:07 AM EDT
[#12]
I do most of my .22 LR bolt rifle shooting at 100-250 yards and normally use Sk Std Plus (1060 fps).

I use a 100 yard basic zero. It's about 2" high at 25 yards, 3.5" high at 50 yards, and 2.5" high at 75 yards.   Like any low BC, low velocity round, it will fall off quickly past the zero rage, so adjusting for elevation is key if you plan on shooting at long range.

I prefer 100 yards as the hold unders for 25, 50 and 75 yards are manageable and I can add 20 or 30 MOA to the base or rings and not have to worry about bottoming out the elevation adjustment with a shorter zero range.

20 MOA of angle on the base (or in a set of Burris Signature Zee rings) should allow you enough adjustment to shoot to 250 yards and keep you pretty close to the optical center of the scope at 100 yards.   30 moa will get you to 300 yards.

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 10:05:44 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
What rifle setup?

How big are the plates?

By my calcs, on an average day with 40gr zeroed to 25yds, your scope would have to be 4.5" above the bore. Maybe on a ar15 setup, but I couldnt see on a standard bolt rig.

Just wondering

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What rifle setup?

How big are the plates?

Just wondering

The targets are over 4.5" tall that's forsure.

I am still new to .22 trajectory so am most likely off, but I aim dead on and it hits every time. I am guessing my 25 yard zero was a lil low or high, whichever one?

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 1:39:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I am still new to .22 trajectory so am most likely off, but I aim dead on and it hits every time. I am guessing my 25 yard zero was a lil low or high, whichever one?

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x533q90/69/iws7.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What rifle setup?
How big are the plates?

Just wondering

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x533q90/69/iws7.jpg

Charigun pro was free - it is for airguns but it works up to a point for rifles too. It is super easy and it really helps if you enter your own scope height and velocity.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 2:12:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 2:51:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
interesting.  I generally set up my training .22s for 25 M, since that is the Appleseed target distance, and a close replication of the old-time 1,000-inch training range.
View Quote

So if I'm reading correctly they changed the target size but not the distance in the 1000"? If so it makes sense just to zero to that distance. For practical purposes though it looks like you lose a little on the close end  and 15 yards on the far end because the arc isn't using the upper half of the kill zone. 50 yards doesn't look much different. Zero at 17.5 yards (or even 20) looks better from this -

I suppose I learned more about trajectories with my pellet gun than anything else including .22lr because it happens in such short distances you have to deal with it a lot more. It would be a great supplement to the 1000".

This program is easy enough that I have fun with it. I'll give up some on the length of the PBR if it gives an easy to remember series of compensation distances on the reticle.

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 8:25:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I do most of my .22 LR bolt rifle shooting at 100-250 yards and normally use Sk Std Plus (1060 fps).

I use a 100 yard basic zero. It's about 2" high at 25 yards, 3.5" high at 50 yards, and 2.5" high at 75 yards.   Like any low BC, low velocity round, it will fall off quickly past the zero rage, so adjusting for elevation is key if you plan on shooting at long range.

I prefer 100 yards as the hold unders for 25, 50 and 75 yards are manageable and I can add 20 or 30 MOA to the base or rings and not have to worry about bottoming out the elevation adjustment with a shorter zero range.

20 MOA of angle on the base (or in a set of Burris Signature Zee rings) should allow you enough adjustment to shoot to 250 yards and keep you pretty close to the optical center of the scope at 100 yards.   30 moa will get you to 300 yards.

View Quote

Thanks, this is kinda what I was looking for...
Good info in the other posts as well.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:32:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It really depends on what you ant to use it for. I don't have any need ot shoot .22 over 100yards because I have other rounds that aren't sensitive to distance for much longer ranges. I fully get why that system works for him, but it would not for me because short of 100 yards it is much more complicated.

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:50:13 AM EDT
[#19]
For squirrel hunting, I've always zeroed at about 45yrds. In my mind and generally speaking, that's pretty close to the average typical range when hunting here in the relatively lush SE mtns. This past season I hunted most every day here around the house. 100% of the kills were head shots only. I don't do body shots tho. I absolutely hate ruining/loss of meat, animal suffering, chance of wounding and losing the animal all together(and almost guaranteeing a slow death later on), PIA while cleaning, etc.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 6:47:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Midrange hits get tricky for me if I zero beyond 50 yards, so that is where I zero and then get to know my holdovers for beyond with the ammo I am shooting.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 11:26:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Right now I am zeroed in at 25 yards on my Ruger Target Tactical 10/22 using a Nikon EFR rimfire scope and CCI Mini Mag ammo.  With my new Ruger Take Down 10/22 I want to sight in at 25 yards first then take it out to 50 yards using open sights (Tech Sights) and then mount my Aimpoint H-1 Micro red dot optic so that I can co-witness with the BUIS.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top