Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/2/2014 6:54:53 PM EDT
I apologize if this has been covered.
I currently have a scoped Sig522 with suppressor. The rifle makes 1/2" groups at 50. What can I expect from a S&W 15/22? My good buddy told me not to expect the 15/22 to perform like the Sig, but said it will run longer between cleanings than the Sig. Thoughts?
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 5:13:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I would have to disagree with your friend. The sig and M&P are about the same for accuracy (depending on ammo and shooter). I have found I need to clean my sig more than what the M&P is needed, especially when running a can. The firing pin hole gets gummed up in my sig resulting in light strikes. The M&P seems to have a little more robust strike and a little wider firing pin (square vs. round) that will go a little longer between cleanings.

Keep in mind I’m not talking about 50 or 100 rounds, when not running a can I can run a couple value packs through either with no issues. With the can you don’t see issues while shooting but will have gum up problems with both rifles if you don’t clean between sessions. It’s just hard to get around how filthy most .22 ammo is, especially with all the blow back from a can.

Both rifles have their strong points and it would be hard to recommend one over the other. The sig to me has better feel and weight than the M&P, but the M&P functions identical to an AR if you’re looking for a trainer.. both are accurate and reliable.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 3:29:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Plenty of aftermarket triggers available for the M&P. Not aware of any for the Sig.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 5:14:55 AM EDT
[#3]
I dont have a 522, but I imagine with the 16" barrel it is about the same accuracy as the M&P with the standard barrel.

Now I think the 522 with the 20" target barrel would be more accurate then the standard M&P, but about the same as the Performance Center M&P.

Honestly they both are plenty accurate for anything besides serious target shooting/competition.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:26:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Plenty of aftermarket triggers available for the M&P. Not aware of any for the Sig.
View Quote

Shooting Sight 522 trigger (now with fixed link)
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 9:11:32 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
I like the factor trigger pull on my 522.  I wish they had after market barrels though. I would like a heavy fluted barrel.

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:26:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I now own both platforms and can tell you that at 50 yards, the 15/22 is a 2 MOA rifle and the Sig is 1 or less. It probably has to do with a few factors: The sig is heavier and the upper is metal instead of composite. Both have a specific purpose and are both reliable and fun!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top