Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/21/2013 3:57:07 PM EDT
I'd been thinking on getting a Savage Rascal to use as a light pack rifle and to hang on my tractor. My LGS had one but there was no way I was going to pay 170.00 for it.

I had put a old Mossberg 12ga shotgun I had paid $25.00 for at the yard sales in there on consignment and the owner said he would trade me even for it.

Done deal. I can live with a Rascal for $25.00

I put a strap with a hook on it so I could use a split ring to unscrew the rear sling swivel for access under the butt plate. I found I could store 11 rounds in the BP with the addition of a piece of closed cell foam and a additional 30 rounds and a ball of cord in a pouch in the hollow stock. The barrel is 16" long and it's 30.5" overall.

Even with the added weight of the strap and ammo it still comes in right at three pounds. Despite it's small size it comes up fast and for me it shoulders OK and I can aquire the sights just fine. I'll shoot it monday.....Why should kids have all the fun.

Link Posted: 9/21/2013 7:16:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I have been looking at the You Tube videos on the Chipmunk as a survival rifle. Nothing wrong with the Chipmunk per say but I keep going back to the Rascal. Accutrigger, better sights....

For what it is worth I think you got a winner there.
Link Posted: 9/22/2013 12:44:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I think the Rascal is right on track as a fine, rugged, reliable, trail or survival rifle.
If I had the opportunity to buy one I'd grab it in a heartbeat! Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/22/2013 3:47:34 PM EDT
[#3]
You made that into a neat setup.  3lbs?  Wow!

My son's first rifle was a Marlin Youth single shot.  I kick my self for selling it when he got older.

Let us know how it shoots.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 6:55:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I have been looking at that gun. Do you find the sights to be rugged enough to throw around a bit and not break? For me they would.need to be able to withstand some reasonable amount of abuse.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 6:59:19 AM EDT
[#5]
I think you would be better off with the Mossberg shotgun. With a bandoleer sling and the right ammo choices, you would be in good shape.
Of course, I live in the Rockies and would have to deal with dangerous predators that a slug would come in handy for.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 9:30:25 AM EDT
[#6]
I took the Rascal down to my range this morning....Color me impressed!

After I sighted it in I shot for groups at 25 yards with CCI Standard Vel., CCI Sub-Sonic HPs, and CCI MM HPs. It liked everything pretty well but I settled on the CCI SSHPs. The MMag HPs shot just as well but it was really loud out of the little fella.

As I had about 17 rounds left in a box I moved the target out to 40 yards and the groups only opened .25". Not too shabby what with my old eyes and short sight radius.

I switched-out the MMs for the Sub-Sonics in the stock storage and also added a Swiss Army pen knife I had. Can't ever have too many knives.

I oiled the Rascal up real good, cut a gun sock to length, and stuck the Rascal inside and put it in the truck.

Quoted:
I think you would be better off with the Mossberg shotgun. With a bandoleer sling and the right ammo choices, you would be in good shape.
Of course, I live in the Rockies and would have to deal with dangerous predators that a slug would come in handy for.
View Quote

What I'd be "better off" with was not the point of the exercise. Had I wanted a handgun, shotgun, combo gun, or another flavor of .22 I would have went into the gun room and got me one.

I think there is a place for a light single-shot "cat rifle" type of single shot .22.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 4:50:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I like it and it sure shoots well.

I agree, always a place for a .22 single shot.  

Link Posted: 9/23/2013 5:29:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I picked up a mossberg 702 (semi auto) at walmart for 107+ tax, to try it out as a light weight rifle, not expecting much.

First range trip was 150-200 rounds mixed bulk pack (fed rem and win).  Zero malfunctions, groups ran in the 2-3 inch range at 50 (Fed was the best).  All the groups overlapped.

I took the plastic butt pad off of the super light hollow stock.  It should hold a survival blanket, lighter and some 22 ammo.  To make the stuff easier to access I got a slip on butt pad for it.

All and all for around $125 (sales tax and BC fee) I was pleasantly surprised.  The only down side is getting spare mags.

Thanks for the thread, the gun got put in the safe after my GF took off and I never got around to finish setting up the stock.  Something to do this weekend.  Plus see if I can find mags at non-ridiculous prices, now that the panic is slowing.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 5:46:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I think if you have a tractor to carry it on, you could carry any rifle you want.

No need to settle for a flea swatter.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 6:49:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think if you have a tractor to carry it on, you could carry any rifle you want.

No need to settle for a flea swatter.
View Quote

Small tractor/big fleas.
Link Posted: 9/24/2013 7:00:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

After I sighted it in I shot for groups at 25 yards with CCI Standard Vel., CCI Sub-Sonic HPs, and CCI MM HPs. It liked everything pretty well but I settled on the CCI SSHPs. The MMag HPs shot just as well but it was really loud out of the little fella.

As I had about 17 rounds left in a box I moved the target out to 40 yards and the groups only opened .25". Not too shabby what with my old eyes and short sight radius.

I switched-out the MMs for the Sub-Sonics in the stock storage and also added a Swiss Army pen knife I had. Can't ever have too many knives.

I oiled the Rascal up real good, cut a gun sock to length, and stuck the Rascal inside and put it in the truck.

http://oi42.tinypic.com/hugdck.jpg

http://oi43.tinypic.com/16jj7fc.jpg

http://oi43.tinypic.com/209jz0p.jpg

What I'd be "better off" with was not the point of the exercise. Had I wanted a handgun, shotgun, combo gun, or another flavor of .22 I would have went into the gun room and got me one.

I think there is a place for a light single-shot "cat rifle" type of single shot .22.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thread title, "survival rifle". Poor choice for survival IMO.

If the thread title was "light plinkers" then your choice would make more sense.
Link Posted: 9/24/2013 9:10:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If the thread title was "light plinkers" then your choice would make more sense.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sigh....The point of the exercise was to see if the rifle had other uses beyond a kid's first rifle and if it could fill a "survival rifle" or working rifle role if need be by a adult.

It does and it can be shot accuratly enough by a adult without alterations to be a capable pot filler.

In fact I'd say it's just as or maybe even better out of the box than many of the new .22s I see posted here as far as accuracy goes and that is with my old eyes. I'll bet someone sharper-eyed could really make it shine.

BTW....There is no such thing as a "plinker" when a .22 is used for filling the pot, used on a trap-line, dispatching vermin, or any other working gun chore.

I can't claim any superior survival skill-set but I would not consider myself under-gunned with the Rascal in tow to augment my skills in a survival situation. Short, light, accurate, and with on-board storage to boot...What's not to like about that?

Link Posted: 9/24/2013 2:31:04 PM EDT
[#13]
I think it looks to be a fine pack/survival rifle.
Link Posted: 9/24/2013 5:51:02 PM EDT
[#14]
The OP's purchase price of $25, makes it priceless.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 7:33:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 8:25:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Good idea.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 11:31:54 AM EDT
[#17]
I like it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2013 5:24:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Neat. I got my daughter a LH Rascal in May for her to learn how to shoot. It's the best of the current youth rifles, IMO.

I do have some reservations about a single shot .22 as a survival gun, though. My concern is that in cold weather individual .22 LR cartridges are hard to handle with cold fingers and/or gloves. For that reason I'd prefer a rifle with a magazine. YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/27/2013 5:42:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Neat. I got my daughter a LH Rascal in May for her to learn how to shoot. It's the best of the current youth rifles, IMO.

I do have some reservations about a single shot .22 as a survival gun, though. My concern is that in cold weather individual .22 LR cartridges are hard to handle with cold fingers and/or gloves. For that reason I'd prefer a rifle with a magazine. YMMV.
View Quote

One thing about it is I don't have to worry about losing the magazine. Try loading a mag-fed .22 with no mag and with cold fingers to boot. I guess you could widdle out a "sled" and stick it up in there to fill the hole if you lose your mag.

Again it's just a rifle you could still use after your kid is done with it, I did not claim it's the best choice evar.
Link Posted: 9/27/2013 7:22:33 PM EDT
[#20]
I like it. Plenty accurate enough for filling the pot. Not sure why so many nit wits turn up their noses. You are 1000 times more likely to need to fill a put than fight off hordes of zombies.

I'm going to buy one for my daughters.
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 12:56:36 PM EDT
[#21]
The Rascal will make a fine survival rifle.
If I had one I'd use it for that.
I'm thinking about using my single shot Rossi, break action, for such a use.
Simple, reliable, rugged, can take a low powered glass if needed & open sights on it are just ducky.
It wieghs under 3 pounds to boot!
It's dead rabbit accurate to 50 yards and that is more than sufficient.
I think one pound of .22 l.r. ammo is 143 rounds.
Lots better than a 12 gauge.
Everyones survival needs are specific to location of course.
Were I in bear country I'd do my best to AVOID the bear!
Link Posted: 10/1/2013 10:55:30 AM EDT
[#22]
I handled one this week.  Nice little rifle. Solid feeling and working.  I hope to buy one for my daughters soon. I'll put a red dot on it so they can use it at the shoots.
Link Posted: 10/1/2013 11:23:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Im jealous- thats a neat and handy little rifle to have around. I like the extra storage in the stock- Good work!
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 6:23:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Got one this spring. love it along with my naa mini mag. just need a bit more pull legnth.
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 3:22:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Got one this spring. love it along with my naa mini mag. just need a bit more pull legnth.
View Quote

I don't think they make a slip-on that would be small enough but I suspect you could use one of those screw-on 1" rubber butt pads that are used on AKs, shape it to fit, and increase the length of pull. They are ugly as sin on a AK but they do work.

Link Posted: 10/11/2013 6:31:34 PM EDT
[#26]
I saw one for the first time this weekend.  I didn't realize how small the Rascal is.  1srelluc shot a heck of a group for such a small rifle.  I really think this is a great survival rifle, especially for weighing in at 3lbs and being accurate.

This thing will strap right to your backpack.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 8:36:33 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Survival doesn't mean combat

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top