Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/27/2013 7:43:45 PM EDT
I have found a few options (below) but want to go with something that will allow me to leave a scope mounted (3-9x) and still use the iron sights.

1. Tech-SIGHTS Precision Shooting Accessories they have a rail mounting version rear iron sight you can attach to the rail of your choice (granted it's not taller than normal).

2. NoDak Spud NDS-22 receivers NDS-26 one piece rail rear iron sight.

3. TRUE SHOT TECHNOLOGIES RUGER 1022 similar to NoDak Spud also offered in silver color.

The True Shot site has a see through option that may fit the bill.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance
rkrk
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 9:36:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Spend the money on the take down model or the SR22
Link Posted: 4/28/2013 1:11:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Having seen all 3, the NDS are the nicest IMO. And what I selected for my offhand iron sight 10/22.

However I am not a fan of iron sights combined with a scope w/ magnification. They can't cowitness as in use the same line of sight, so one or the other is the wrong height relative to the stock (comb). Often, both are wrong.
Link Posted: 4/28/2013 3:19:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Having seen all 3, the NDS are the nicest IMO. And what I selected for my offhand iron sight 10/22.

However I am not a fan of iron sights combined with a scope w/ magnification. They can't cowitness as in use the same line of sight, so one or the other is the wrong height relative to the stock (comb). Often, both are wrong.

The importance of a cowitness, good point, may be less of an issue here if I am able to find a see through set of irons that will work with a mounted scope.  I am a bit concerned about the height of the scope that is mounted with a set of see throughs - if it is too high it is not as useful obviously.

I am not looking to buy another riffle so a take down is not a good choice at this point.  Trying to make this tactical model meet my needs - may not be possible in the end...

I should have added in the OP that I was interested in having both irons and a scope as I was thinking it would make a better platform for teaching kids on - I am sure that folks will argue that this model 10/22 was not the best base for that intended purpose.

thanks
rk
Link Posted: 4/28/2013 8:09:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Here is another thread on this same topic with some good info for you: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_11/396945_10_22_tactical_sight_installation.html

My advice is to buy a 10/22 carbine and put NDS sights on it, and put a scope on the tactical model. That's what I did anyway. I tried some see-through scope mounts and the scope was just way too high. With those see-through mounts you end up with too much crap you're looking through to see your sights, which makes it hard to track any movement, like if you're trying to hit a squirrel that is moving around or something. And the see-through mounts will make your scope so high that you won't be able to have any cheek-weld at all when using the scope.

Here's a crappy cellphone pic of my setup:

Link Posted: 4/28/2013 8:48:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/28/2013 9:23:17 AM EDT
[#6]

It's this stock: http://www.archangelmanufacturing.com/2012/09/17/archangel-ruger-1022-target-2/
I bought it off Amazon. The ergonomics are pretty good, I really love the shape and angle of the grip, but the whole thing kind of feels like cheap plastic. I guess there's a spring that keeps tension on the length-of-pull adjustment knob, and that spring makes a "ping" sound every time you fire the gun, which is annoying. I've been trying to figure out a way to get to that spring so I can do something about the noise, but I haven't figured out how.
Link Posted: 4/28/2013 9:31:18 AM EDT
[#7]
For teaching kids, iron sights all the way.
Link Posted: 4/28/2013 11:16:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It's this stock: http://www.archangelmanufacturing.com/2012/09/17/archangel-ruger-1022-target-2/
I bought it off Amazon. The ergonomics are pretty good, I really love the shape and angle of the grip, but the whole thing kind of feels like cheap plastic. I guess there's a spring that keeps tension on the length-of-pull adjustment knob, and that spring makes a "ping" sound every time you fire the gun, which is annoying. I've been trying to figure out a way to get to that spring so I can do something about the noise, but I haven't figured out how.

looks cool, none the less, like a predator/alien type thing.

Link Posted: 4/28/2013 12:27:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

looks cool, none the less, like a predator/alien type thing.

Lol yeah, I like the more modern looking stocks. I really want a Beretta Cx4 Storm, mostly because I really like the stock, but I couldn't justify the price they want for those things. This stock for my 10/22 feels and looks similar enough that it got me over wanting the Beretta without spending nearly as much money. I've also been wanting a bullpup, either a Steyr AUG or a Tavor, but I might just buy a cheap 10/22 bullpup conversion to get over that as well.
Link Posted: 4/28/2013 12:29:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
For teaching kids, iron sights all the way.

Yeah for teaching kids I'd go with a Liberty Training Rifle type of setup, similar to the bottom rifle in my picture above. Get good with that and then move up to a scope later.
Link Posted: 4/28/2013 1:58:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/28/2013 2:12:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/28/2013 2:30:11 PM EDT
[#13]
I was in the same situation and to tell you the truth I still have not figured out a solution.

I went with the NDS front and rear and love them. However, I still would like to use a QD scope with them. I do not want to put down money on a mount and scope if it will not clear my rears.

This below image is NOT mine (Tapco.. ugh) but the irons/scope settup is something I was thinking about. I do not NEED to see my irons/scope at the same time, which gives me some flexibility but I still would like to know if a scope/mount settup will work.

I really like the Burris PEPR. Does anybody know if that will work and clear the rear with some of the 1-4x24 settups?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top