Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/15/2013 5:58:10 PM EDT
Seriously.  I haven't seen a box of .22lr on a shelf anywhere or online since Christmas.  Nothing anywhere.  Where is it going?  Are people really buying .22lr at $8 for 50rds?  WTF, this is crazy.  i would think supply would catch up to demand, competition would bring prices down, and things would normalize.  Still, nothing.  Anybody have inside info?  Oh, and if you're buying it for those prices, STOP.  It'll get back to normal if douches like you stop paying those prices.
Link Posted: 3/15/2013 6:17:14 PM EDT
[#1]
arfcommers basements, downrange, alot of it re-emerges on gunbroker, its out there. Check the EE here its on there. plenty of profiteers willing to sell it too.
Link Posted: 3/15/2013 6:36:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I sent some down the barrel of my Medalist about an hour ago.
Link Posted: 3/15/2013 6:52:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I sold 6600rds in the last week.   I hate to see it go but I made a $500 profit on it so why not sell.
Link Posted: 3/15/2013 7:06:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Most of the rounds fired over the past 3 months at our range have been rimfire.
Link Posted: 3/15/2013 8:22:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm afraid what the 'new normal' will look like. People say supply will eventually recover, but I'm sure with how demand has been prices will adjust accordingly from the distributors.
Link Posted: 3/15/2013 8:34:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Seriously.  I haven't seen a box of .22lr on a shelf anywhere or online since Christmas.  Nothing anywhere.  Where is it going?  Are people really buying .22lr at $8 for 50rds?  WTF, this is crazy.  i would think supply would catch up to demand, competition would bring prices down, and things would normalize.  Still, nothing.  Anybody have inside info?  Oh, and if you're buying it for those prices, STOP.  It'll get back to normal if douches like you stop paying those prices.

.22lr came in at Gander Mountain, and they limited sales to ONE box of 100 to each customer per day.  

I am helping out with my son's Boy Scout troop shoot by rounding up guns & ammo (my natural skillz) so figured Gander has .22lr, Boy Scouts need 22lr & I have wallet full of cash. so win - win - win??  Wrong-O!

had to go to 3 different guy counter people and three different cashiers in "disguise" after having to change clothes, remove glasses, wear hats... All just to buy 3 simple boxes of 100 of .22lr.  

What is this country coming to when you can't find .22lr, even at $9.00 / 100??

Link to original story in Texas H.T.F.
Link Posted: 3/15/2013 8:55:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Its a conspiracy the government cant take our guns so they are limiting ammo productionlol
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 3:30:32 AM EDT
[#8]
All you have to do is hang out at any retailer that gets regular scheduled deliveries. About a 1/2 before the store opens there will be 10 guys standing in line waiting to get in to buy whatever ammo came off the truck that morning.

That is where you will find the .22 ammo.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 5:20:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Last I checked target master in SE PA had a ton but it was remington.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 5:31:41 AM EDT
[#10]
IMHO, 22LR is the new AR round, IE: real AR rounds will be too high to shoot this spring and summer, maybe next too so were all popping 22 LR. I got tired of burning my $4 a gal gas for nothing so I bought 8k rds thru arf.com'ers to get my shooting groove on.
Pony up and pay the new price or do without. Just my $.02.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 5:59:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
IMHO, 22LR is the new AR round, IE: real AR rounds will be too high to shoot this spring and summer, maybe next too so were all popping 22 LR. I got tired of burning my $4 a gal gas for nothing so I bought 8k rds thru arf.com'ers to get my shooting groove on.
Pony up and pay the new price or do without. Just my $.02.

I agree.  Too bad, but I agree.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 7:19:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm afraid what the 'new normal' will look like. People say supply will eventually recover, but I'm sure with how demand has been prices will adjust accordingly from the distributors.

+100.  And that's why I have no intention of selling any.  I paid 3.2 cents/pop for 10k two weeks before Newtown, and could now use it to capitalize the 40k I already had.  Not gonna happen b/c I doubt we will be finding it for 3.2 cents/pop in the future.  

I hope I'm wrong.

The .22rf is ubiquitous, but that doesn't mean pipelines of sale have large capacity.  High turnover (= popular) items would be the first things to disappear in a panic.

Sam

Link Posted: 3/16/2013 7:44:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Gotta have something to shoot to take kids out - with gas at over $4 ammo 22 ammo is one of those "gee I hope I can get some" items. Plus you have a bunch of gunshow reseller types going out and sucking it all up as they can not get x39, 5.56 or 308 and need something on their tables. As soon as Walmart gets a consistent stock again, you will see the ammo on shelves everywhere as the incentive to buy and mark up will be gone. Face it Walmart's control much of the ammo market in the US - when the average Joe can buy it there again we will all win.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 9:21:13 AM EDT
[#14]
If you really want to find out, go find out when ammo is delivered to your local Wal-Mart, then show up an hour before they'll release it for sale. Watch the family show up and buy everything on the shelf, and then trail them to the local flea market where they will sell 500 rd bricks of .22 lr for $80.00 each. As long as there are idiots out there who will spend money like that, there will be "people" who will take advantage of them. It's called free enterprise, and right now, it's completely out of control.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 9:59:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If you really want to find out, go find out when ammo is delivered to your local Wal-Mart, then show up an hour before they'll release it for sale. Watch the family show up and buy everything on the shelf, and then trail them to the local flea market where they will sell 500 rd bricks of .22 lr for $80.00 each. As long as there are idiots out there who will spend money like that, there will be "people" who will take advantage of them. It's called free enterprise, and right now, it's completely out of control.

There's still something wrong with this picture.

I've been looking hard for .22 for two months.  Went by two different places this morning, LGS and a farm supply store that stocks ammo.  Of course, neither one had either .22LR or .223.  Chatting with the proprietors, both said they were not receiving regular shipments, and when they do, it contains a fraction of their normal order.

I can see demand being the reason for ammo flying off the shelf as soon as it's delivered.  But that doesn't explain why dealers cannot re-stock at at least their normal, pre-panic stocking rate. Sure, some of the big retailers undoubtedly increased their orders to try and meet demand, but manufacturers also ramped up production at the same time. I can't believe Cabela's, Bass Pro and a few other big boys are sucking up virtually every round being produced, leaving the rest of the supply chain bone dry.  Particularly when you can't seem to be able to buy from them, either.

It's hard to pin the blame for the shortage on massively increased sales when nobody seems to be able to buy any.

Link Posted: 3/16/2013 12:17:07 PM EDT
[#16]
You know, I wouldn't put it past that sometimes the ammo isn't available because the employees snatch it up when it arrives.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 12:59:31 PM EDT
[#17]
HLD but the kid version.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 1:46:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You know, I wouldn't put it past that sometimes the ammo isn't available because the employees snatch it up when it arrives.

Happens at the local walmart..employes have first dibs before customers...those employes really should learn not to talk about such things out on the sales floor..
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 1:57:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Its more akin to crony capitalism right now than free enterprise.  There select people being given first dibs and controlling the supply.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 2:08:04 PM EDT
[#20]
I think it's a combination of all the theories on this thread.  I've switched gears and started spending my play money on tools.  I miss the range but I'm done playing this game.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 2:45:51 PM EDT
[#21]
At the retail level, i.e. Wal-Mart, much of the .22lr and many of the other popular calibers are being bought up as soon as they are put out for sale. I have scored 900rds of .22lr in the last three months and that's it. Every time I look it's already been sold to the first few people that come in to the store. Unfortunately, much of it is being resold at a gross mark-up. The other poster was right. The sooner we refuse to pay obscene prices the better off we'll be. I know it's hard to wait, but that may be the best option for getting this back to normal more quickly.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 4:57:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Happens at the local walmart..employes have first dibs before customers...those employes really should learn not to talk about such things out on the sales floor..

The guy at the local Academy admitted as much the other day.  Its going to take a while before things calm down.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 5:13:46 PM EDT
[#23]
This is why I bought a Federal bulk pack every week from Jan 2008 to Dec 2009. I'm fine for a while.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 6:16:44 PM EDT
[#24]
I'd give you my tin foil answer as to where all the .22lr is, but then some jackass would come along with math and logic and make me look stoopid.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top