Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/17/2013 12:58:56 PM EDT
Went shopping today gun shop wanted $70 for 500 rounds remington JHP 22lr! I told the owner thats crazy and i didnt need it that bad, a guy came in right behind me and bought it(the last box). there was some CCI for $20/100rounds.The main reason i purchased a 22 rifle and pistol was because of ammo price and availability. Walmart was completely out of 22lr, but they had 9mm which i bought five of for $14/50 rounds. Is walmart not price gouging? while independent shops are price gouging? This is gay, this whole ordeal is ruining my favorite hobby

Someone help me understand why 22lr has tripled in price
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 1:02:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Went shopping today gun shop wanted $70 for 500 rounds remington JHP 22lr! I told the owner thats crazy and i didnt need it that bad, a guy came in right behind me and bought it(the last box). there was some CCI for $20/100rounds.The main reason i purchased a 22 rifle and pistol was because of ammo price and availability. Walmart was completely out of 22lr, but they had 9mm which i bought five of for $14/50 rounds. Is walmart not price gouging? while independent shops are price gouging? This is gay, this whole ordeal is ruining my favorite hobby

Because people are buying all of it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 1:04:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

local gun store buys ammunition off shelves of wall mart, or pays locals to wipe them clean as soon as it comes in....

marks ammunition up 2-3x what they paid

?????

Profit!

Link Posted: 1/17/2013 1:06:17 PM EDT
[#3]
You weren't around in 2008.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 1:07:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Because everyone with an assault squirrel gun is terrified that high velocity ammunition will be banned.

I'd like to believe that all of it is being used by people getting their CCW.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 1:16:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Seeing the buying panic that people are in with regards to AR parts and ammo, a small group of people are buying up everything ELSE with the express purpose of reselling it at a huge markup.

It sucks, but that's what it is.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 1:19:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I have only been in to firearms for 2 years now. So no.

Link Posted: 1/17/2013 1:21:08 PM EDT
[#7]
1st reason:  Panic.  Folks are panicked, and buying everything they can.

2nd reason:  .22lr is cheap, so folks buy lots more of it.

I know people who are sufficiently caught up in the panic that they're buying anything and everything, not with the intention of reselling, just because they're scared.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 1:28:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Because the guys who missed the good stuff feel like they gotta buy something.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 1:30:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I know people who are sufficiently caught up in the panic that they're buying anything and everything, not with the intention of reselling, just because they're scared.

I have just under a thousand rounds of 22lr. I never thought the prices would sky rocket like that or i would have got a lot more in past months. instead i was buying 5.56 .45 and 9mm.

Gander mountain seemed to have a couple cartridges readily available. 17hmr, 30-06, and shotgun shells.not that they were at a great price but they were well stocked.might have to get a new gun for one of those cartridges
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 2:49:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Actually most of the ammo manufacturers dont produce every caliber they make year round, depending on how much they normally sell they may only do a few runs a year of certain calibers. I believe what you are seeing right now is the manufacturers are out due to end of the year (they dont like a bunch of inventory when it comes tax time!) and all the panic buying of centerfire they have more then likely ramped up production on that and put the next round of rimfire on hold trying to fill all them high dollar centerfire orders.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 2:56:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Because I missed the glory days of cheap 223, and I can reload what I do have.

22lr on the otherhand isn't reloadable, and I want stock up before the prices go apeshit like they did with 223.

I buy 2 bricks when ever I go to wallyworld.  In the course of 3 years I have around 13,000 rounds stocked up.  So the current panic doesn't affect me.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 5:03:54 PM EDT
[#12]
It's not available because everyone would rather sit on 5000 rounds to feel "safe" than actually go out and shoot it.  I bought up about 3500 rounds right as the panic was hitting because I noticed it going away at the store.  I hope to shoot most of it up over the next couple of years though.  I just wanted enough to allow me to shoot as much as I want when I make it to the range.  I hate to even suck up that much, but it seems to be either do that or overpay and/or do without.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 6:19:22 PM EDT
[#13]
22 LR RF has been spotty for the last year. In the last year the Wal-Marts around here have been out almost everytime I am in the store so I left them for folks that might be out. With over 6 million 10/22s alone being sold plus all the other 22 rifles and pistols it takes a lot of ammo to keep them going. The ammo companies say they are shipping millions of rounds per day but everyone says they have not seen any for a long time. I think the rimfire gets shot a lot and now a tremendous demand for it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 9:46:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Everybody and their mommy are buying up .22lr semi auto rifles and pistols, they all need ammo to work.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 11:23:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

local gun store buys ammunition off shelves of wall mart, or pays locals to wipe them clean as soon as it comes in....

marks ammunition up 2-3x what they paid

?????

Profit!

That is no shit happening with at least 1 lgs in Nampa Idaho. A-O
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 11:27:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have just under a thousand rounds of 22lr. I never thought the prices would sky rocket like that or i would have got a lot more in past months. instead i was buying 5.56 .45 and 9mm.

Gander mountain seemed to have a couple cartridges readily available. 17hmr, 30-06, and shotgun shells.not that they were at a great price but they were well stocked.might have to get a new gun for one of those cartridges

Read through the General forum section of arfcom and you'll see guys admitting they're buying up ammo and mags for calibers and guns they don't even own.  Makes zero sense to me, but them's the facts of life.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 3:00:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Because us guys with suppressed 22 pistols/rifles know how badass they are and much more effective with ammo
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 6:38:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 7:29:31 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm currently buying .22lr ammo and guns  because that's all I'm shooting now.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 8:25:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It's not available because everyone would rather sit on 5000 rounds to feel "safe" than actually go out and shoot it. I bought up about 3500 rounds right as the panic was hitting because I noticed it going away at the store.  I hope to shoot most of it up over the next couple of years though.  I just wanted enough to allow me to shoot as much as I want when I make it to the range.  I hate to even suck up that much, but it seems to be either do that or overpay and/or do without.

As did I.

I plan on shooting all of it this year though.

Got a 22 can coming through the works hopefully by the end of the month or early next.

22lr is getting harder to find, not only as everyone got a 10/22 for Christmas, but more and more companies are making 22lr clones of their full-sized variants to make for cheap practice.
It only makes sense to go to the range and go through $20~$40 worth of ammo than to go to the range and go through $100 ~ $200 worth of ammo that it'll cost you $250~$300 to replace, if you can replace it in the current market shenanigans.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 8:39:02 AM EDT
[#21]
I just saw quite a bit of Winchester 555 round bulk pack on the shelf at a local gun store. $35. No thanks. I know for a fact that someone from this store went across the street and bought pallets of the cheap dove hunting shotgun shells and marked them up x2 at their store. This was a couple of years ago not during a panic, but Wal-Mart sells a ton of those shells right before dove season every year. I'm not saying they got their .22 ammo from Wal-Mart, but who knows. I know I'm not paying that much for bulk pack .22 ammo. Unless of course that's the best price we ever see again.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 8:50:45 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Yup.

Link Posted: 1/18/2013 9:50:16 AM EDT
[#23]
I never quit shooting i just swap to what is cheapest, so for me i buy up stuff like 22lr and 5.45 to shoot while I wait for ammo prices to come down on other calibers i would rather sit on to make sure my shtf supply is solid.  I have 4 22lr and 3 son all with their own rifles, and 2 suppressors into the mix and we will go through 1k rounds easy in a sitting.  I always go through at least one brick an outing especially if my boys are with me.  I buy my 22lr in bulk though not off the shelf of Wally world until times like this.  Now the bulk suppliers are out I stalk the gunshelf at m local walmart like a Lion waiting for them to resupply.

Anyway allot of people like me and allot of people buying just to buy which never made sense to me.  I dont see the point invest in something like precious medals or stocks.  If you werent around in 2008 I am sure this is a shock to you, but it will all balance out.  POTUS has not made a move on ammo yet and any move he is likely to make will be shot down.  In 2008 it took about a year for ammo to get back to buisness as usual.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 12:59:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I never had a problem finding .22LR in 2008.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 1:08:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol say what?

ETA: To underscore the issue.... I had a bulk pack of Remington Golden Bullets that I was absolutely disgusted with after firing off a couple magazines because of how much they sucked. I put up the partial box (400+rds) on the local gun board for $5. Considering the original retail price used to be like $15, it wasn't like I was GIVING them away... I must have got about three dozen PMs from different individuals begging me to sell to them.

It was BAD.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 2:18:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol say what?

ETA: To underscore the issue.... I had a bulk pack of Remington Golden Bullets that I was absolutely disgusted with after firing off a couple magazines because of how much they sucked. I put up the partial box (400+rds) on the local gun board for $5. Considering the original retail price used to be like $15, it wasn't like I was GIVING them away... I must have got about three dozen PMs from different individuals begging me to sell to them.

It was BAD.

LOL! Last year I gave away 500 rem thunderbolts because i got so frustrated with their performance. Today I was regretting getting rid of them even though I know they are filthy junk.

I am resolved not to panic buy 22lr. sooner or later i will find it at a good price. Until then I will purchase ammo for my 870 while hunting 22lr.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 2:47:48 PM EDT
[#27]
I used to buy it by the case every time one of the big internet retailers would put it on sale.  Earlier this year, I was getting 5000 & 5500 round cases for $149-$179 shipped depending on the brand and quality.  I'm glad I had a compulsive urge to stock up when I did because now I can shoot my favorite guns without feeling guilty or worrying about where I'm gonna get ammo for the next range trip.  I just tried to order 2 bricks of Aguila and got a no-go email a day later.  It's crazy that people are going full retard on .22
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 5:13:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Everybody needs to stop buying .22lr ammo at $3-5 per 50 rds.  It's ridiculous.  "Premium" .22 ammo is twice that.  It's rimfire ammo.  Stop it, all of you!

It should be about $1 for 50 rds.  A brick for $10.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 5:21:22 PM EDT
[#29]
. Until then I will purchase ammo for my 870 while hunting 22lr.

What kind of license do you need to hunt 22lr with an 870?

Sorry, but the craziness is getting to me.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 6:16:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
. Until then I will purchase ammo for my 870 while hunting 22lr.

What kind of license do you need to hunt 22lr with an 870?

Sorry, but the craziness is getting to me.

LMAO!!
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 8:02:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

When  I was "just under a thousand rounds of .22lr", I considered myself to be next to OUT of ammo, so for the last couple of years I've been buying. If I shot a brick, I'd buy 2 to replace it. Nearly every time I went to my favorite local store that sells ammo, I'd buy a box or 2 of some, either .22lr, 9mm or .223. I've been a sucker for a good online deal for ammo. It didn't matter how much ammo I had, it if was a good deal, I'd buy, especially if it was .22lr. A case here, a case there and pretty soon your wife starts asking questions. As a consequence, I'm good on .22lr
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 4:45:56 PM EDT
[#32]
I had no problem finding .22 ammo back in 2008. I had a helluva time finding primers of any type back then.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 4:51:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Considering it wouldn't be out of the question to shoot over 6k rounds of 22LR in a league, this situation could be worrisome.  I ordered 100 boxes of eley after the panic started and got 33.  I backordered 100 boxes, so hopefully things will work out before I'm out.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 9:35:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Well, I am depressed

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 1:45:54 PM EDT
[#35]
I haven't seen any ammo at most of the stores including 22lr.  The only thing there is a bunch of is Rifle (excluding 223, 7.62x39, seen a decent bit of 308 still) and Shotgun.

I only have about 1k of 22lr and my Dad has about the same...I'll just hold off shooting as much till I can get my hands on a couple of bricks at least.

The panic buy went full retarted...hopefully it starts to subside/catch up soon.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:35:59 PM EDT
[#36]
i realize that not everyone has the money or space to hoard ammo but considering the size and cost of .22, you should have at least a few thousand tucked away. you know, just in case theres ever a time when people go nuts and start buying everything gun related in sight.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 5:55:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
i realize that not everyone has the money or space to hoard ammo but considering the size and cost of .22, you should have at least a few thousand tucked away. you know, just in case theres ever a time when people go nuts and start buying everything gun related in sight.

Yeah, I guess you can't call it hindsight when it's happened so many dam times before...  The things that makes me crazy about this is that we will never get back to the old prices again.  We may see things level out, but once the market sets a price this high, the manufacturers and distributors will never cut the profits below a certain level again.  Market conditioning is a bitch and when you've been conditioned over time to believe that $6 is cheap for a 50 round box of run of the mill .22lr, when in all reality it should be $2, when it eventually comes down to $4 you'll feel like your steeling it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 6:30:29 PM EDT
[#38]
I went to the second day of a local gun show today.  Someone grabbed the last 100 pack of CCI 22lr so I didn't see the price.  However, all that was left was Winchester 333 bulk for $29.95, Winchester powerpoints (450 I think?) for $49.95 and Wolf match for $9.95 for 50.  Full retard.  No other 22lr that I could see.  The best deal on 9mm was S&B $198.95 for 500 and of course green tips were through the roof, about $1 a piece with Lake City 7.62 x 51 right next to it for the same price.  They did have tracers for about 50 cents a round.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 7:00:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Local store had 100 round CCI for 8.99 each.

Bought 5.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 7:17:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Yeah, I think the AR-22's are a leading factor in why .22 LR is flying off the shelf this year.

I agree in 08 it wasn't that hard to find .22, but due to the many different .22 fun rifles out there people think they need to buy it up and sell it back 3 fold.

It's total greed.  

Wait it out if you can, or just get chummy with you local Wal-Mart gun guy and he'll call you when he gets some in.

You can always go gun broker if you have to have some.  You can buy single bricks around 60 bucks shipped, which is still ridiculous, but if your bone dry, a 550 box will hold you until production catches up.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 8:14:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I guess you can't call it hindsight when it's happened so many dam times before...  

thats why i said "just in case". I'll reiterate my point- with the size and cost of .22, theres no reason not to have some already for a rainy day period
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 3:45:48 AM EDT
[#42]
You can fit a 50cal can even in the smallest apartment and they hold 5k plus .22 loose.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 3:47:37 AM EDT
[#43]
That's pretty simple.  Think about it, OP.

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 8:04:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Because us guys with suppressed 22 pistols/rifles know how badass they are and much more effective with ammo

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 2:11:01 PM EDT
[#45]
It's "readily available" at MY house.

Link Posted: 1/22/2013 12:46:28 AM EDT
[#46]
Mmmmm, Mini-Mags...
Link Posted: 1/30/2013 1:43:06 PM EDT
[#47]
This is Insane! 22lr ammo is priced for what .223 ammo used to sell for! according to ammo seek.com I will not pay $.30 per round to plink. I have been relentless in my pursuit of 22lr havent seen a box in walmart for 2 months. What the fuck!!!!!!!! Although my 12gauge collection is growing I am still pissed. This whole situation is making me hoard my ammo. I havent been shooting since x-mas. If any of you guys want to share some 22lr I am all for it I have the room and cash, I simply failed to plan ahead. Huge lesson learned. Still this is pretty gay situation. Fuck you Adam lanza rot in hell
Link Posted: 1/30/2013 2:33:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
This is Insane! 22lr ammo is priced for what .223 ammo used to sell for! according to ammo seek.com I will not pay $.30 per round to plink. I have been relentless in my pursuit of 22lr havent seen a box in walmart for 2 months. What the fuck!!!!!!!! Although my 12gauge collection is growing I am still pissed. This whole situation is making me hoard my ammo. I havent been shooting since x-mas. If any of you guys want to share some 22lr I am all for it I have the room and cash, I simply failed to plan ahead. Huge lesson learned. Still this is pretty gay situation. Fuck you Adam lanza rot in hell

Call up Bass Pro Shops.  On the phone, they will let you backorder stuff that says out of stock online.  From the sounds of it, they have a shipment from Winchester arriving any day now.  I know that Bass Pro is notorious for canceling backorders, but what can it hurt, you can always cancel yourself if you find something in stock.  Someone else posted the Bass Pro Shop information on here, so I don't take any credit.  I did place a back order for some 9 mm and a little 22lr for a friend though.  Good luck.

Link Posted: 1/30/2013 3:27:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Mmmmm, Mini-Mags...

Got another thousand in Federal Bulk behind that, for the wife and kids to shoot. I stocked up in '08 when the writing was on the wall.

Honestly I shoulda bought twice that much though. I forget how much I paid but it was cheap as shit.
Link Posted: 1/30/2013 3:28:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Everybody needs to stop buying .22lr ammo at $3-5 per 50 rds.  It's ridiculous.  "Premium" .22 ammo is twice that.  It's rimfire ammo.  Stop it, all of you!

It should be about $1 for 50 rds.  A brick for $10.

When is the last time you bought a brick of 22 for 10 bucks?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top