Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2012 7:27:22 AM EDT
Well the only rim fire I have is a 10/22 carbine my father bought for me when I was 11. I love it, and because of that I don't always want to take it out and shoot it, I want to keep it in good shape for when I can give it to my son. The new gun I'm looking at purchasing would be for target practice and hunting, but I want it mainly for hunting(squirrel, coon, crow) as I'm not as concerned about the 10/22 getting damaged at the range.

Guns I'm looking at are...

Savage FV-SR - Link
I don't have a can now, but it is something I've been thinking about getting. I like the 16" barrel, should make it handy in the woods. Also considering this because I figured a bolt action would be able to shoot a better variety(sub/standard velocity) than a semi like the 10/22, however, I haven't ever shot subs in the 10/22 so I don't know how they work in that.

Savage 93R17FV - Link
This doesn't have the threaded or short barrel like the FV-SR, but it is a 17HMR. I haven't had one yet, but everyone seems to like theirs. Being a rim fire magnum, I was thinking this might be a better hunting rifle than a .22lr, plus I always have the 10/22 if I do want to shoot .22lr. I would also consider the 93 FV (.22mag) but I'm not sure if .17hmr or .22mag would be better for me.

I should also add, I'm getting my son a Savage Rascal for his birthday(8) or Christmas next year. So, which one do you guys think I should choose(first, since I know the "correct" answer is both ).
Link Posted: 12/18/2012 7:50:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/18/2012 8:39:24 AM EDT
[#2]
I went for the TSSR but you'll like the FV-SR.
Link Posted: 12/18/2012 9:57:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Wow the fv-sr is a nice tactical .22 if there is such a thing, and adding a suppressor would make it a very quiet tack driver.
Link Posted: 12/18/2012 10:34:13 PM EDT
[#4]
CDNN has a good price on the mags.
I just bought $200 worth of stainless ones last weekend with free shipping.
Link Posted: 12/19/2012 6:59:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I just put 200 rds through my FV-SR this afternoon sighting it in before going to CA for Christmas.  Of course I will leave the reason for having a FV-SR behind in AZ, a Gemtech Outback IID. Had fun bouncing a plastic bottle all over the berm at about 75 yards.  Great little rifle, though the 5 rd magazine stinks.  I'll have to check out the CDNN website.
Link Posted: 12/19/2012 7:32:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I love my FV-SR. You won't regret getting one.
Link Posted: 12/20/2012 3:04:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I have all three got the 17 cal first great rifle then 22 mag ok  just got the  threaded barrel savage this is nice and short. the scope I put on was not very clear its going back but I was impressed on how it shoots. right now the 17 cal is my favorite.
Link Posted: 12/22/2012 9:19:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Just started reading a bit about the Remington 597 AAC model, I'm wondering if I might like it better than the Savage FV-SR.

Both have 16" threaded barrels, the Remington is a little longer (which I like), and the Remington is semi vs. bolt.

I've read the Remington can require a little tweaking to be reliable, but I think being semi might make it a little more fun than the Savage. The only downside is how loud is the action on it? I wouldn't want to supress it and have it still be loud because of the action.

I'm considering the 597 because I like my 10/22 and the 597 is more similar to it than the FV-SR. I would go with another 10/22 but I'd have to swap the barrel to a 16" heavy profile (threaded) with a hogue stock to have it setup the way I want. The 597 comes like this stock, and it's far cheaper. One thing that does worry me about the 597 is the lack upgraded trigger parts, although I haven't had the chance to pull the trigger on one to see how I like it yet.

So what would you choose between the FV-SR and 597 AAC?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top