• Location USA WI, USA
Offline Neutral Feedback
Basic
  • Joined Sep 2011
  • Posts 694
  • Location USA WI, USA
Offline Neutral Feedback
Posted: 12/18/2012 6:27:22 AM EST
Well the only rim fire I have is a 10/22 carbine my father bought for me when I was 11. I love it, and because of that I don't always want to take it out and shoot it, I want to keep it in good shape for when I can give it to my son. The new gun I'm looking at purchasing would be for target practice and hunting, but I want it mainly for hunting(squirrel, coon, crow) as I'm not as concerned about the 10/22 getting damaged at the range.

Guns I'm looking at are...

Savage FV-SR - Link
I don't have a can now, but it is something I've been thinking about getting. I like the 16" barrel, should make it handy in the woods. Also considering this because I figured a bolt action would be able to shoot a better variety(sub/standard velocity) than a semi like the 10/22, however, I haven't ever shot subs in the 10/22 so I don't know how they work in that.

Savage 93R17FV - Link
This doesn't have the threaded or short barrel like the FV-SR, but it is a 17HMR. I haven't had one yet, but everyone seems to like theirs. Being a rim fire magnum, I was thinking this might be a better hunting rifle than a .22lr, plus I always have the 10/22 if I do want to shoot .22lr. I would also consider the 93 FV (.22mag) but I'm not sure if .17hmr or .22mag would be better for me.

I should also add, I'm getting my son a Savage Rascal for his birthday(8) or Christmas next year. So, which one do you guys think I should choose(first, since I know the "correct" answer is both ).
Just happy to be here!
Lifetime Member
  • Joined Sep 2002
  • Posts 37744
  • Location USA AL, USA
Offline Positive Feedback
Lifetime Member
  • Joined Sep 2002
  • Posts 37744
  • Location USA AL, USA
NRA
Posted: 12/18/2012 6:50:29 AM EST
I am a CHRISTIAN, a CONSERVATIVE, and a REPUBLICAN... in exactly that order, and completely without apology.
Horror and moral terror are your friends.
Bronze
  • Joined Apr 2007
  • Posts 28046
  • Location KHM KHM
Bronze
  • Joined Apr 2007
  • Posts 28046
  • Location KHM KHM
Posted: 12/18/2012 7:39:24 AM EST
I went for the TSSR but you'll like the FV-SR.
"If people insist on photoshops that have nothing to do with anything but racial stereotypes - like Obama dressed like a pimp, eating watermelon and asking where the white wimmenz are at - then that thread will be locked too."
DK-Prof
Bronze
  • Joined Jan 2012
  • Posts 3055
  • Location USA CA, USA
Bronze
  • Joined Jan 2012
  • Posts 3055
  • Location USA CA, USA
Posted: 12/18/2012 8:57:27 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/18/2012 8:58:22 PM EST by jukeboxx13]
Wow the fv-sr is a nice tactical .22 if there is such a thing, and adding a suppressor would make it a very quiet tack driver.
Horror and moral terror are your friends.
Bronze
  • Joined Apr 2007
  • Posts 28064
  • Location KHM KHM
Bronze
  • Joined Apr 2007
  • Posts 28064
  • Location KHM KHM
Posted: 12/18/2012 9:34:13 PM EST
CDNN has a good price on the mags.
I just bought $200 worth of stainless ones last weekend with free shipping.
"If people insist on photoshops that have nothing to do with anything but racial stereotypes - like Obama dressed like a pimp, eating watermelon and asking where the white wimmenz are at - then that thread will be locked too."
DK-Prof
Basic
  • Joined May 2005
  • Posts 138
  • Location USA AZ, USA
Basic
  • Joined May 2005
  • Posts 138
  • Location USA AZ, USA
Posted: 12/19/2012 5:59:24 PM EST
I just put 200 rds through my FV-SR this afternoon sighting it in before going to CA for Christmas. Of course I will leave the reason for having a FV-SR behind in AZ, a Gemtech Outback IID. Had fun bouncing a plastic bottle all over the berm at about 75 yards. Great little rifle, though the 5 rd magazine stinks. I'll have to check out the CDNN website.
Basic
  • Joined Jan 2005
  • Posts 6613
  • Location USA MO, USA
Basic
  • Joined Jan 2005
  • Posts 6613
  • Location USA MO, USA
Posted: 12/19/2012 6:32:35 PM EST
I love my FV-SR. You won't regret getting one.
Basic
  • Joined Jan 2009
  • Posts 163
  • Location USA MN, USA
Basic
  • Joined Jan 2009
  • Posts 163
  • Location USA MN, USA
Posted: 12/20/2012 2:04:40 PM EST
I have all three got the 17 cal first great rifle then 22 mag ok just got the threaded barrel savage this is nice and short. the scope I put on was not very clear its going back but I was impressed on how it shoots. right now the 17 cal is my favorite.
Basic
  • Joined Sep 2011
  • Posts 696
  • Location USA WI, USA
Offline Neutral Feedback
Basic
  • Joined Sep 2011
  • Posts 696
  • Location USA WI, USA
Offline Neutral Feedback
Posted: 12/22/2012 8:19:10 AM EST
Just started reading a bit about the Remington 597 AAC model, I'm wondering if I might like it better than the Savage FV-SR.

Both have 16" threaded barrels, the Remington is a little longer (which I like), and the Remington is semi vs. bolt.

I've read the Remington can require a little tweaking to be reliable, but I think being semi might make it a little more fun than the Savage. The only downside is how loud is the action on it? I wouldn't want to supress it and have it still be loud because of the action.

I'm considering the 597 because I like my 10/22 and the 597 is more similar to it than the FV-SR. I would go with another 10/22 but I'd have to swap the barrel to a 16" heavy profile (threaded) with a hogue stock to have it setup the way I want. The 597 comes like this stock, and it's far cheaper. One thing that does worry me about the 597 is the lack upgraded trigger parts, although I haven't had the chance to pull the trigger on one to see how I like it yet.

So what would you choose between the FV-SR and 597 AAC?