Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/30/2012 6:41:13 AM EDT
Finished up my review of the Ruger 10/22-TD Take Down rifle and I am impressed. Not sure if the whole take-down action essentially free-floating the barrel is impacting accuracy, however this was a whole lot more accurate than any standard 10/22 Carbine I have shot.

Pretty cool little rifle, although not sure why they chose to use an 18.5" barrel vs a 16.1" which would have trimmed weight and size.  FYI the case actually has closed cell foam sewn into the case so it will float with the rifle for a short period of time.

http://www.majorpandemic.com/2012/05/ruger-1022-td-take-down-rifle-review.html

As I recall, with a 1.5-5X scope my best rested 25 yard groups were just over 1” with my standard stock 10/22, however with the 10/22-TD I managed a standing 10 shot 1” group with the stock iron sights and from the bench pulled that into a .65” group with CCI Mini-Mags.  As it seems every Ruger 10/22 does, CCI  Mini-Mags were the clear performance winner for non-match ammo.  Scoped with a Nikon P-22 2-7X scope, the 10/22-TD stunned me with a couple .3” 5-shot groups at 25 yards with CCI Mini-Mags.  On the 50 yards line with the P-22 2-7 Nikon Scope, I was able to produce more than a few .75” groups with the Mini-Mags and one .5” group. The 10/22-TD is an excellent general purpose .22LR, survival rifle, a very fine plinker and definitely the most accurate take down rifle I have ever tested.

Link Posted: 5/30/2012 7:05:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice review.

I do have question. Is there any harm in removing the plastic "strap" at the front of the barrel?
Seem like this would make it really free float since the stock is attached to the TD mechanism at the bolt end.

Link Posted: 5/30/2012 7:24:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't know let me run over the safe and check.... checking.....

Yes you can, but the forend and band weight maybe and ounce, so probably will not make that much difference.
Link Posted: 6/1/2012 3:01:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Nice review.

I do have question. Is there any harm in removing the plastic "strap" at the front of the barrel?
Seem like this would make it really free float since the stock is attached to the TD mechanism at the bolt end.

The forend is bolted to a ~6" long block under the forearm that contains the plunger for the takedown system.  This in-turn is bolted to the barrel.  The barrel band is cosmetic, but you aren't going to gain anything by removing it.
Link Posted: 6/1/2012 3:21:45 PM EDT
[#4]
In for participation.
Link Posted: 6/1/2012 4:41:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I want one with tech sights......bad.
Link Posted: 6/1/2012 6:47:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I have still yet to see one of these in the wild. Nice review.
Link Posted: 6/1/2012 7:22:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Really?    Are you looking very much?   I've seen several.   Most were $369 and up.   A few weeks ago, a retailer had one at $349, and I snatched it up.

Link Posted: 6/1/2012 7:26:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Pretty cool little rifle, although not sure why they chose to use an 18.5" barrel vs a 16.1" which would have trimmed weight and size.

If anything stands out as strange, this one aspect certainly does.
Link Posted: 6/1/2012 8:00:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pretty cool little rifle, although not sure why they chose to use an 18.5" barrel vs a 16.1" which would have trimmed weight and size.

Easily remedied. I sent mine in to have the front sight set back to 16" and the muzzle threaded.  

Something else they should've done is put a compartment in the buttstock for possibles.  That's a big hollow space that's doing nothing.

Link Posted: 6/2/2012 4:36:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the great review...now time to go look for one!
Link Posted: 6/2/2012 4:47:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Easily remedied. I sent mine in to have the front sight set back to 16" and the muzzle threaded.  

Something else they should've done is put a compartment in the buttstock for possibles.  That's a big hollow space that's doing nothing.

. Not to be nosy , but how much did that set you back , setting the sight back/trimmed barel ?? Did you thread the end
Very interested in this project ...
Thank you
Link Posted: 6/2/2012 4:49:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

. Not to be nosy , but how much did that set you back , setting the sight back/trimmed barel ?? Did you thread the end
Thank you

Should have read " did you thread end 1/2 -28 ??"
Link Posted: 6/2/2012 4:51:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
In for participation.

Batman - these "tech" sights ? Is this an upgrade for the rear only or front / rear ??
I actually held one in my hands a week ago and thought the brass bead looked ok .
Link Posted: 6/2/2012 7:26:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
In for participation.

Batman - these "tech" sights ? Is this an upgrade for the rear only or front / rear ??
I actually held one in my hands a week ago and thought the brass bead looked ok .

I'm on my phone. Google Tech Sights. They are much like AR sights. Huge improvement.
Link Posted: 6/2/2012 9:56:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you

Should have read " did you thread end 1/2 -28 ??"

Had Tim @ Hangingtreearmory.com do a little barrel work for me.   Chopped it back to 16", threaded, and set the front sight boss back.  Also hit it with a bead blaster.

I also installed some 77/22 sights, as they are a bit taller.  Don't know why Ruger makes the 10/22 sights so low.  

Threw in enough VQ trigger parts to make it extra crisply and added some UM sling swivels.  I used a wood screw rear and machine screw front.  I've never liked the barrel band swivels, since you can't install a bipod if you need to.  

Link Posted: 6/2/2012 10:16:21 AM EDT
[#16]
sgtlmj - What was the cost for the barrel/sight work, materials included?
Thanks,
Link Posted: 6/2/2012 10:22:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
sgtlmj - What was the cost for the barrel/sight work, materials included?
Thanks,

$75 for the work including return shipping.  The 77/22 sights were about $20 from Brownells.
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 6:35:58 AM EDT
[#18]
sgtlmj - Exactly what I am wanting.  I little confused why Ruger did not release this with a 16" to begin with.

Wow- that is a great deal.  My gunsmith quoted me $100 without shipping as he is local.

Thanks for the tip on the Tech Sights.  I was thinking about going with NoDak Spud sights, but I like the look of these for the application a bit better.
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 7:21:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?    Are you looking very much?   I've seen several.   Most were $369 and up.   A few weeks ago, a retailer had one at $349, and I snatched it up.

Tes, have been to those LGS that typically have a good selection of 10/22 models and the gunshow this weekend. No love.
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 7:27:19 AM EDT
[#20]
ost
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 5:41:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Well, I found one at academy (they are carrying them for 319), BUT in Academy's brilliance in display techniques, they left a giant gash in the stock/hand-grip area...so no 10/22 TD yet.
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 7:19:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
In for participation.

Link Posted: 6/9/2012 7:32:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Thanks for the great review...now time to go look for one!

PLUS ONE!!!
Link Posted: 6/11/2012 12:53:39 PM EDT
[#24]
i so want one of them.....
Link Posted: 6/11/2012 12:57:27 PM EDT
[#25]
hey do they come with the rail or is somthing to p/u later?
Link Posted: 6/11/2012 1:56:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
hey do they come with the rail or is somthing to p/u later?

Comes with a weaver style rail.  Plenty of aftermarket rails out there to choose from thought.
Link Posted: 6/11/2012 2:16:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Another thread about this rifle.

Link.
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 7:55:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Rail?  Good question, I am positive mine came with one but seems to be missing. Cannot answer for sure.
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 10:43:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Rail?  Good question, I am positive mine came with one but seems to be missing. Cannot answer for sure.

Yeah, a crappy pot metal weaver rail was in one of the plastic bags.
It's in the landfill now.

My Hornet Black Max trigger showed up and it makes a huge difference. I went from ugly 2-3" groups at 50yds to 1.25" inch groups with a few flyers. And I'm sure I can do even better with a few more sessions.
Seems like a pretty decent trigger for $125.

http://5003.webpossystem.com/bin/category.asp?category=10

Link Posted: 6/24/2012 10:38:17 AM EDT
[#30]
Does anybody know if its possible to take a stock 10/22 barrel and machine it down to fit into the take-downs receiver?  Ive got a spare integral suppressed 10/22 barrel and im trying to think of something to do with it.
Link Posted: 6/24/2012 10:48:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Does anybody know if its possible to take a stock 10/22 barrel and machine it down to fit into the take-downs receiver?  Ive got a spare integral suppressed 10/22 barrel and im trying to think of something to do with it.

It could be done depending on the integral because you need enough room to machine in the lug that mates with the locking mechanism.
Link Posted: 6/24/2012 10:52:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It could be done depending on the integral because you need enough room to machine in the lug that mates with the locking mechanism.

Its a thompson machine operative.  Mono core baffle that screws out of the muzzle.  Its about 6" long.  I was going to machine it for another 77/22, but these little take downs are tits....and i have zero take down rifles.
Link Posted: 6/24/2012 11:20:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its a thompson machine operative.  Mono core baffle that screws out of the muzzle.  Its about 6" long.  I was going to machine it for another 77/22, but these little take downs are tits....and i have zero take down rifles.

Thompson is making a integral takedown now.  I would send them a email and see if they can convert it for you.  If anyone can it would be them.
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 8:45:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Finished up my review of the Ruger 10/22-TD Take Down rifle and I am impressed. Not sure if the whole take-down action essentially free-floating the barrel is impacting accuracy, however this was a whole lot more accurate than any standard 10/22 Carbine I have shot.

Mine is extremely accurate but the lock up system used leaves the barrel ANYTHING BUT free floated. And as you have found out already dosn't hurt accuracy even a little bit. CCI mini mag hollow points have out performed any 22 round I have ever use since I bought my first 10-22 when I was 16. At 53 now I own a Blue laminated stock carbine with barrel band and with both scoped out to 100 yards with mini mag hp's you can't tell them apart. Fantastic shooters for short barreled carbines ans now that I have the stainless take down I am a happy man and probably bought my last 10-22 because I have never been able to wear one out.  

Link Posted: 6/26/2012 4:24:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice review.

The forend is bolted to a ~6" long block under the forearm that contains the plunger for the takedown system.  This in-turn is bolted to the barrel.  The barrel band is cosmetic, but you aren't going to gain anything by removing it.

Minor correction, but that block containing the takedown plunger is only about 2 inches long, and appears to be made from 1/2"x1/2" aluminum bar stock.  I've been working with a local machinist to see if it can reproduced, as parts from Ruger for the TD are not available.

gbosh
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top