ARCHIVED ARCHIVED
  Previous Page
Page:  / 2
Author
Posted: 5/30/2012 5:41:13 AM EST
[Last Edit: 5/30/2012 5:43:03 AM EST by majorpandemic]
Finished up my review of the Ruger 10/22-TD Take Down rifle and I am impressed. Not sure if the whole take-down action essentially free-floating the barrel is impacting accuracy, however this was a whole lot more accurate than any standard 10/22 Carbine I have shot.

Pretty cool little rifle, although not sure why they chose to use an 18.5" barrel vs a 16.1" which would have trimmed weight and size. FYI the case actually has closed cell foam sewn into the case so it will float with the rifle for a short period of time.

http://www.majorpandemic.com/2012/05/ruger-1022-td-take-down-rifle-review.html

As I recall, with a 1.5-5X scope my best rested 25 yard groups were just over 1” with my standard stock 10/22, however with the 10/22-TD I managed a standing 10 shot 1” group with the stock iron sights and from the bench pulled that into a .65” group with CCI Mini-Mags. As it seems every Ruger 10/22 does, CCI Mini-Mags were the clear performance winner for non-match ammo. Scoped with a Nikon P-22 2-7X scope, the 10/22-TD stunned me with a couple .3” 5-shot groups at 25 yards with CCI Mini-Mags. On the 50 yards line with the P-22 2-7 Nikon Scope, I was able to produce more than a few .75” groups with the Mini-Mags and one .5” group. The 10/22-TD is an excellent general purpose .22LR, survival rifle, a very fine plinker and definitely the most accurate take down rifle I have ever tested.

Andr0id
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/30/2012 6:05:09 AM EST
Nice review.

I do have question. Is there any harm in removing the plastic "strap" at the front of the barrel?
Seem like this would make it really free float since the stock is attached to the TD mechanism at the bolt end.

Ok, if a giant fiery hole opened in the ground and swallowed Congress and the White House and left everything around untouched I might say "Whoa WTF!!" - Ragin_Cajun
majorpandemic
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/30/2012 6:24:20 AM EST
Don't know let me run over the safe and check.... checking.....

Yes you can, but the forend and band weight maybe and ounce, so probably will not make that much difference.
sgtlmj
NRA Life Member
NRAInstructorMilitary
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/1/2012 2:01:46 PM EST
Originally Posted By Andr0id:
Nice review.

I do have question. Is there any harm in removing the plastic "strap" at the front of the barrel?
Seem like this would make it really free float since the stock is attached to the TD mechanism at the bolt end.

The forend is bolted to a ~6" long block under the forearm that contains the plunger for the takedown system. This in-turn is bolted to the barrel. The barrel band is cosmetic, but you aren't going to gain anything by removing it.
Instructor: Sniper, Patrol Rifle, Handgun, Shotgun - Armorer: Glock, Colt AR15/M16
BallisticTip
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/1/2012 2:21:45 PM EST
In for participation.
"They're telling us they'd rather die than come out and surrender....so.. They're gonna die..."

batmanacw
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/1/2012 3:41:25 PM EST
I want one with tech sights......bad.
If everyone is replaceable, then stop being everyone.
LonghunterCO
Charcoal Burner clinging to his guns and religion.
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/1/2012 5:47:21 PM EST
I have still yet to see one of these in the wild. Nice review.
"This republic was not established by cowards; and cowards will not preserve it."-Elmer Davis
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."~Thomas Paine
KYVENOM
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/1/2012 6:22:45 PM EST
Originally Posted By LonghunterCO:

Really? Are you looking very much? I've seen several. Most were $369 and up. A few weeks ago, a retailer had one at $349, and I snatched it up.

KYVENOM
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/1/2012 6:26:46 PM EST
Originally Posted By majorpandemic:
Pretty cool little rifle, although not sure why they chose to use an 18.5" barrel vs a 16.1" which would have trimmed weight and size.

If anything stands out as strange, this one aspect certainly does.
sgtlmj
NRA Life Member
NRAInstructorMilitary
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/1/2012 7:00:43 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/1/2012 7:01:32 PM EST by sgtlmj]
Originally Posted By KYVENOM:
Pretty cool little rifle, although not sure why they chose to use an 18.5" barrel vs a 16.1" which would have trimmed weight and size.

Easily remedied. I sent mine in to have the front sight set back to 16" and the muzzle threaded.

Something else they should've done is put a compartment in the buttstock for possibles. That's a big hollow space that's doing nothing.

Instructor: Sniper, Patrol Rifle, Handgun, Shotgun - Armorer: Glock, Colt AR15/M16
engineer201
And Shepherds we shall be...
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/2/2012 3:36:18 AM EST
Thanks for the great review...now time to go look for one!
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."
--Gen. Mattis
OBR Owners club
Red-ryder
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/2/2012 3:47:54 AM EST
Originally Posted By sgtlmj:

Easily remedied. I sent mine in to have the front sight set back to 16" and the muzzle threaded.

Something else they should've done is put a compartment in the buttstock for possibles. That's a big hollow space that's doing nothing.

. Not to be nosy , but how much did that set you back , setting the sight back/trimmed barel ?? Did you thread the end
Very interested in this project ...
Thank you
Red-ryder
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/2/2012 3:49:57 AM EST
Originally Posted By Red-ryder:

. Not to be nosy , but how much did that set you back , setting the sight back/trimmed barel ?? Did you thread the end
Thank you

Should have read " did you thread end 1/2 -28 ??"
Red-ryder
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/2/2012 3:51:44 AM EST
Originally Posted By BallisticTip:
In for participation.

Batman - these "tech" sights ? Is this an upgrade for the rear only or front / rear ??
I actually held one in my hands a week ago and thought the brass bead looked ok .
batmanacw
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/2/2012 6:26:41 AM EST
In for participation.

Batman - these "tech" sights ? Is this an upgrade for the rear only or front / rear ??
I actually held one in my hands a week ago and thought the brass bead looked ok .

I'm on my phone. Google Tech Sights. They are much like AR sights. Huge improvement.
If everyone is replaceable, then stop being everyone.
sgtlmj
NRA Life Member
NRAInstructorMilitary
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/2/2012 8:56:40 AM EST

Thank you

Should have read " did you thread end 1/2 -28 ??"

Had Tim @ Hangingtreearmory.com do a little barrel work for me. Chopped it back to 16", threaded, and set the front sight boss back. Also hit it with a bead blaster.

I also installed some 77/22 sights, as they are a bit taller. Don't know why Ruger makes the 10/22 sights so low.

Threw in enough VQ trigger parts to make it extra crisply and added some UM sling swivels. I used a wood screw rear and machine screw front. I've never liked the barrel band swivels, since you can't install a bipod if you need to.

jeepfreak
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/2/2012 9:16:21 AM EST
sgtlmj - What was the cost for the barrel/sight work, materials included?
Thanks,
sgtlmj
NRA Life Member
NRAInstructorMilitary
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/2/2012 9:22:00 AM EST
Originally Posted By jeepfreak:
sgtlmj - What was the cost for the barrel/sight work, materials included?
Thanks,

$75 for the work including return shipping. The 77/22 sights were about $20 from Brownells.
majorpandemic
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/6/2012 5:35:58 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/6/2012 5:39:58 AM EST by majorpandemic]
sgtlmj - Exactly what I am wanting. I little confused why Ruger did not release this with a 16" to begin with.

Wow- that is a great deal. My gunsmith quoted me $100 without shipping as he is local.

Thanks for the tip on the Tech Sights. I was thinking about going with NoDak Spud sights, but I like the look of these for the application a bit better.
LonghunterCO
Charcoal Burner clinging to his guns and religion.
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/6/2012 6:21:46 AM EST
Originally Posted By LonghunterCO:

Really? Are you looking very much? I've seen several. Most were $369 and up. A few weeks ago, a retailer had one at $349, and I snatched it up.

Tes, have been to those LGS that typically have a good selection of 10/22 models and the gunshow this weekend. No love.
"This republic was not established by cowards; and cowards will not preserve it."-Elmer Davis
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."~Thomas Paine
quijanos
TMBTITWIGRS
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/6/2012 6:27:19 AM EST
ost
Nobody gives a shit what you think.
Or what I think.

osprey21
engineer201
And Shepherds we shall be...
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/6/2012 4:41:52 PM EST
Well, I found one at academy (they are carrying them for 319), BUT in Academy's brilliance in display techniques, they left a giant gash in the stock/hand-grip area...so no 10/22 TD yet.
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."
--Gen. Mattis
OBR Owners club
Captains1911
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/6/2012 6:19:48 PM EST
In for participation.

jukeboxx13
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/9/2012 6:32:16 AM EST
Originally Posted By engineer201:
Thanks for the great review...now time to go look for one!

PLUS ONE!!!
ops144
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/11/2012 11:53:39 AM EST
i so want one of them.....
ops144
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/11/2012 11:57:27 AM EST
hey do they come with the rail or is somthing to p/u later?
  Previous Page
Page:  / 2
ARCHIVED ARCHIVED