Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2012 6:44:25 AM EDT

I bought the Ruger take down 10/22 yesterday and i would like to ask for some scope advice.

I want to keep the scope attached to the receiver, so the 2-7x and 3-9x scopes are too long to fit inside the carrying case that comes with the rifle.

After looking at every optic in the store, i narrowed to down to two:

Leupold 2.5x20 FX-II Ultralight $260 in-store

http://swfa.com/Leupold-25x20-FX-II-Ultralight-Riflescope-P3263.aspx

Leupold 4x28 FX-I Rimfire $220 in-store

http://swfa.com/Leupold-4x28-FX-I-Rimfire-Riflescope-P3259.aspx

The actual magnification is 2.3x and 3.6x, respectively

they both have excellent eye relief at 4.9in and 4.5in.

i am aware that the 4x rimfire has parrallax set at 60 yards. and i cannot find info about the 2.5x ultralight parrallax, but i dont think it really has any or it wont make much dif. if i go with 2-7x or 3-9x ... it will be a rimfire optic with 60yd parralax.

If i had to make a decision on the spot, i would have chosen the 2.5x ultralight.

The ultralight is smaller and 1.2 inches shorter. seems like a better "fit" for the case and whole take down style.

They were both plenty bright, and the 4x magnification was slightly more but not very much. the ultralight seemed brighter almost HD like... almost.

There was a buck mounted on a far wall and when going back and forth, it was very hard to tell which view i preferred. Practically a tie.

My concern is that in the long run i will want more magnification. will i like a 2-7x better? with a removeable mount and use the included picatinny/weaver rail section?

If i go with one of the low power scopes listed above, i plan to mount it using a DNZ game reaper mount, instead of the included pic/weaver rail.

the DNZ mounts directly to the reciver where it is tapped. the same way i would mount the pic/weaver rail.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/990994/dnz-products-game-reaper-1-piece-scope-base-with-1-integral-rings-ruger-10-22-matte-medium

My Question about the DNZ mount ... should i get MEDIUM or LOW height?

i think both the 2.5x and 4x will fit the low mount without making contact with the receiver .... but will it give me too low of a cheek weld?

thanks for your advice !

Link Posted: 4/5/2012 7:34:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I just bought mine this week. I installed a Nikon 3-9x40 Prostaff Rimfire scope. I used Leopold tall Rifleman rings. Work well.

A note about ring height, I tried Medium rings, the bell cleared until I rotated the barrel to take the gun down. At that point the rear sight interfered with the scope, thus the tall rings.

Also this scope is fairly long and will not  fit in the bag mounted to the receiver. Scope must be removed to put in the bag.

The price was $150 less a $50 mail in rebate for a net of 100 bucks.
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 7:54:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm thinking about putting a Burris FastFire Red-Dot on it..

Link Posted: 4/5/2012 7:58:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a Burris on my MKII Government, but want the magnification of a scope on the TD
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 7:59:57 AM EDT
[#4]
I think red dots and .22s go together like bacon and bacon.
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 9:54:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Can't disagree on the bacon theory
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 1:03:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Going to try a Primary Arms micro dot.
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 1:13:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Primary gets good play around here. Let us know how it works.
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 4:18:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I just put a Nikon 2-7x32 P22 on mine. Will sight it in on Sat.
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 5:21:45 PM EDT
[#9]
4x rim fire scope and never look back.
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 8:39:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I just bought mine this week. I installed a Nikon 3-9x40 Prostaff Rimfire scope. I used Leopold tall Rifleman rings. Work well.

A note about ring height, I tried Medium rings, the bell cleared until I rotated the barrel to take the gun down. At that point the rear sight interfered with the scope, thus the tall rings.

Also this scope is fairly long and will not  fit in the bag mounted to the receiver. Scope must be removed to put in the bag.

The price was $150 less a $50 mail in rebate for a net of 100 bucks.

I had the same issue. Bought DNZ medium mount, and the bell gets in the way. I think I'll go get high rings, use the weaver base, and that way I can also remove the scope.

Link Posted: 4/6/2012 9:43:41 AM EDT
[#11]
I would like something quick detach so it could be used open sighted or scoped. That would solve the take down clearance problems too.
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 6:21:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Dar. High rings make it too high for good check weld.
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 6:09:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Leupold Riflemen tall ring are not and issue for cheek weld.
Link Posted: 4/21/2012 1:27:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Here is my set up, also wanted quick detatch for irons.

Primary Arms Micro Dot

Nikon Prostaff 3X9 BDC

Weaver Quick detach steel rings ( Medium )

UTG Base

Link Posted: 4/23/2012 7:29:06 AM EDT
[#15]
thanks for the pics.

what is the rail that you are using ... i think the rail that comes with it is the same color as the receiver ... silver-ish.

Link Posted: 4/23/2012 2:38:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
thanks for the pics.

what is the rail that you are using ... i think the rail that comes with it is the same color as the receiver ... silver-ish.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/utg-mnt-22towl-1022-mount.html
Link Posted: 4/23/2012 4:31:59 PM EDT
[#17]
I was at a gunshow this weekend looking for a scope for mine, and found the perfect answer.  Weaver 1.5-4.5x24 with buttler creek caps for $65.  It fits in the backpack case just fine broken down.  Earl

Link Posted: 4/24/2012 2:11:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks Earl that setup looks good.  I will have to look for one soon.
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 2:49:57 PM EDT
[#19]

Primary Arms Micro Dot

Nikon Prostaff 3X9 BDC

Weaver Quick detach steel rings ( Medium )

UTG Base

Sweet looking setup!

From what I have read, the Nikon is too big to go in the bag when connected to the receiver. How well are the QD rings for having the scope be back to zero when you re-attach?
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 2:51:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I think red dots and .22s go together like bacon and bacon.

Especially a takedown, I don't think a scope is the right optic for these, but that's just me.
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 3:01:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Nice find, you did good.
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 3:14:45 PM EDT
[#22]
I dont' have a takedown 10/22 but on a regular 10/22 the nikon 2-7 prostaff is compact but still allows good amount of mag for long range shooting. At 100 yards, it does great whereas the fixed 4x I used to have on it wasn't quite enough for me to shoot my best at that range. Holds great zero too. I liked the nikon 2-7 so much that I eventually pulled it off the 10/22 and put it on my lightweight 223. Works great on that one too.
Link Posted: 6/11/2012 8:02:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Has anyone found the point of aim/point of impact different, when using an optic on the td 10/22, after takedown/reassembly?
The reason I ask is, obviously there should be no problem with the iron sights, when the gun is taken down, because they are both on the barrel, but with a scope/red dot mounted, the receiver and barrel are separated and put back together, theoretically in the exact same spot, but I wonder.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top