Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/7/2011 2:06:26 AM EDT
I'm looking for a lightweight .22 caliber pistol that has high capacity magazines available.

The three options I'm looking at are:
* GSG5 PK
* KelTec PLR22
* Ruger Charger build

For form and function, the GSG5 seems like it meets my needs and wants perfectly ... but I want a gun that is reliable with good ammo, and easy to maintain. I have to say that the seemingly endless number of issues reported on the internet (including this site) are steadily turning me off - not to mention the regimen special maintenance the GSG seems to need.

I wasn't able to dig up anything bad about the PLR22. What is the general consensus on these?

I know I could build a charger to do what I'm wanting, but that would require additional cost in purchasing aftermarket parts, ect. It would also be the bulkiest of the three options.

What option would you choose, and why?

Link Posted: 11/7/2011 2:29:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Kel-Tec PMR-30, if you can find one.

30 rds of .22 WMR in one magazine, 19 oz. loaded. By now, with all of the latest updates, most all of the earlier bugs have been chased out. MSRP is $419, and they can be had for less, if you are patient and willing to shop.

Mine works great.

The PLR-22 is a great choice, if you can find one, and don't mind the size.
Link Posted: 11/7/2011 6:44:04 AM EDT
[#2]
the KT is probably the lightest and slimmest, but i haven't handled a GSG... but i do know how thick a MP5 is. most KTs seem to need some tuning, at least to sand down some of the flash on the plastic. the KT has an aluminum aftermarket trigger blade available from Red Lion, and several companies make rails for it, but no drop in improvements for the trigger.

there's also the now discontinued S&W 15-22 pistol. light, takes the 10, 25 or BDM drum mags. takes any standard AR trigger, so the trigger is upgradable. i have a 15-22 rifle and really like that. was disappointed that they dropped the pistol

the Charger has everything available for it that works for a 10/22. trigger, bolt  and barrel upgrades, stock upgrades, (well, swaps, i like the Charger stock, but it's not very packable) just don't put a buttstock on it without the paperwork. i have a Charger that i'm just starting to tune up. the Charger needs to be pulled from the stock to really clean the guts, same as any 10/22. not a major problem, but more work than a KT or S&W. the charger comes with a bipod.

the  GSG looks like a pain to clean from the videos i've seen.

you don't say what you want to do with it, is this going to be a pack gun, varmint plinker or just a range toy? if you want accuracy, the ability to upgrade the Charger with goodies to improve the accuracy is a plus. if you want packable, the lighter weight of the KT and S&W would be a plus.
Link Posted: 11/7/2011 7:46:19 AM EDT
[#3]
M&P15-22 Pistol.
Link Posted: 11/7/2011 2:20:33 PM EDT
[#4]
AA Glock has 25shot on the new mags.
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 1:23:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Looking for a pack gun - something more stable than a conventional pistol, that I could put a sling on.
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 6:38:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
AA Glock has 25shot on the new mags.

really?!

dang, gonna have to check those out!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top