Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/27/2011 2:38:27 PM EDT
This is probably gonna be a stupid question, but can you not shoot a .22lr in a .22mag or wmr rifle?

I'm asking because I saw a revolver at a gun show (an ER, I think?) that had a cylinder for a LR and one for a WMR.

Link Posted: 2/27/2011 3:17:54 PM EDT
[#1]
No..........22 lr in .22 lr pistol or rifle only. The pistols that shoot both calibers have cylinders for each caliber
Link Posted: 2/27/2011 3:47:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
This is probably gonna be a stupid question, but can you not shoot a .22lr in a .22mag or wmr rifle?

I'm asking because I saw a revolver at a gun show (an ER, I think?) that had a cylinder for a LR and one for a WMR.

The pistols that are "convertible" have a barrel that fits the larger bullets and may be a tiny bit loose on the .22. There is a small difference in barrel internal diameter between the two. They come with two cylinders to accommodate the difference in the cartridges.
Link Posted: 2/27/2011 5:17:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, the .22WMR diameter is a hair larger than .22LR diameter. Someone will be along shortly to tell us what the difference is.

My first handgun was a Colt SA .22 with dual cylinders. Accuracy was so-so, but the bore was such that it wasn't cut absolutely for either caliber as all dual cylinder guns are.

Unless one is hunting with it in .22WMR, *I* would stick to a dedicated caliber.

My .o2
Link Posted: 2/27/2011 7:26:33 PM EDT
[#4]
.22WMR has a larger diameter and thicker rim. Shooting .22LR in a WMR chamber risks blown cases.
Link Posted: 2/28/2011 6:29:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Bore diameters:

.22 WMR = .224"

.22 LR = .221"

.003" doesn't seem like much, but makes a huge difference in accuracy and wear.
Link Posted: 2/28/2011 3:53:36 PM EDT
[#6]
i've seen people take an empty WMR case, file the primer end off to turn it into a sleeve and then shoot .22 LR thru the gun.

the case will come out when you run a brush thru the bore.

i'm NOT recommending that, just saying that it's possible.

because for the freebore inside the chamber adapter and the looser bore diameter i'd expect accuracy to suffer.
Link Posted: 2/28/2011 4:19:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
i've seen people take an empty WMR case, file the primer end off to turn it into a sleeve and then shoot .22 LR thru the gun.

the case will come out when you run a brush thru the bore.

i'm NOT recommending that, just saying that it's possible.

because for the freebore inside the chamber adapter and the looser bore diameter i'd expect accuracy to suffer.

I have not seen this, but am not surprised by it. Sort of like the .22 adapter people put in their .223 AR 's.  Many may recall the "Zip" guns made with some tubing and tape to shoot .22 LR. The lowly .22 LR doesn't take much to support it as its low pressure.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top