Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 48
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 8:22:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Shot about a 3.5" group at 100y with mine the other day.  Winchester bulk ammo- I am willing to bet that eley/lapua/wolf would have grouped tighter, especially if I was a better shot.
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 3:20:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Even with the skinny barrel? Just deal with the enlarged barrel channel?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Agreed, trash the factory stock ASAP.  

Agreed, installed Boyds with nylon washer mod this week and it is night and day difference.

Even with the skinny barrel? Just deal with the enlarged barrel channel?

Maybe page 91 can offer insight
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 2:15:20 PM EDT
[#3]
This thread cost cost me a good chunk of change 2 days ago.  Am now the proud owner of a FV-SR with Vortex crossfire II 2-7x32.  Had a blast shooting it yesterday, but the factory stock is a nightmare, it sounds like its full of sand and makes rainstick noises.  I couldn't fill that 5rd magazine as fast as I would like so will definitely need some 10 rounders.  Who has the best deal these days for a boyd's stock and DIP kit?
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 9:03:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
This thread cost cost me a good chunk of change 2 days ago.  Am now the proud owner of a FV-SR with Vortex crossfire II 2-7x32.  Had a blast shooting it yesterday, but the factory stock is a nightmare, it sounds like its full of sand and makes rainstick noises.  I couldn't fill that 5rd magazine as fast as I would like so will definitely need some 10 rounders.  Who has the best deal these days for a boyd's stock and DIP kit?
http://i.imgur.com/VhiTs1j.jpg
View Quote

Dip sells them together
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 11:04:50 PM EDT
[#5]
What height rings will I need for a fv-sr with Boyd's and 40mm objective scope? I was thinking warne low qd should work
Link Posted: 10/24/2015 9:15:03 PM EDT
[#6]

FVSR
Manners T4
DIP bottom metal and 25moa base
Bushnell 2-7x32 (Vortex Pst 4-16x50 FFP on the way)
Burris rings
Harris 6-9
Spectre ll suppressor
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 12:49:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
http://i.imgur.com/EyvKtks.jpg

FVSR
Manners T4
Burris rings
Harris 6-9
Spectre ll suppressor
View Quote

What stock pack is that?

Also, has anyone put a rail section in place of the sling studs on the Boyd's stock? If so, how'd you go about doing it? Is there one made that goes in the same screws?
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 5:34:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

What stock pack is that?

Also, has anyone put a rail section in place of the sling studs on the Boyd's stock? If so, how'd you go about doing it? Is there one made that goes in the same screws?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i.imgur.com/EyvKtks.jpg

FVSR
Manners T4
Burris rings
Harris 6-9
Spectre ll suppressor

What stock pack is that?

It's an SKD PIG rifle pack
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 6:31:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Finally picked up mine from the FFL.

Harris bipod
Bushnell ar optics 3-9x40
Warne medium rings(the bushnell scope has some round thing on bottom of scope under the turrets. Tried low rings but didn't clear)
Sico specwar flash hider for look cools.

Deciding between the sparrow or specter to order in a couple weeks.
While I wait on the can, Boyd's stock will come.

Link Posted: 11/4/2015 1:30:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Harris bipod
Warne medium rings(the bushnell scope has some round thing on bottom of scope under the turrets. Tried low rings but didn't clear)
http://i67.tinypic.com/262p95f.jpg
View Quote

Go with the specter. It performs better than the sparrow and it easier to clean.

MAHA
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 1:58:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Go with the specter. It performs better than the sparrow and it easier to clean.

MAHA
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Harris bipod

MAHA

Long time Specter (gen 1) owner here. Just pulled the trigger on a Specter II last month.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 10:20:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Long time Specter (gen 1) owner here. Just pulled the trigger on a Specter II last month.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Harris bipod

MAHA

Awesome, thanks guys. Saves me like $40 lol
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 7:54:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Ordered the Boyds stock with the DIP upgrades today.

Got a Vortex 4-12x Crossfire 2 also.

Should be good to go soon.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 11:58:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
<a href="https://flic.kr/p/sgmPrX" target="_blank">https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8715/17239085261_5162efe528_c.jpg</a>
Curvesss by Staufhammer, on Flickr

Savage MK II FV-SR with Boyd's Tacticool
View Quote

What kind of stain did you use?  Looks like walnut?
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 10:54:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Anyone have a lead on the Boyds stock and DIP Bottom metal from a source with reasonable shipping? DIP is quoting $25 for shipping.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 9:58:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Picked up a FV-SR this weekend and I'm already in love with this gun. It's my first .22 bolt action and it really surprised me with how accurate is was out of the box. I have a leupold VXII 3x9x40 on it now but I think I need something with a variable adjustment for closer ranges. I have a DAA Mask in jail and plan to upgrade the stock before its arrival. I wish there were more stock options besides boyds and Rhineland arms.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 9:16:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Finally got around to getting mine into a Boyd's stock and went with a Hawke IR 3x9x40 scope to sit on top.  Looking forward to taking it out.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 6:27:06 PM EDT
[#18]
So is the $24.97 shipping quote to CO the norm; or are folks getting it shipped for less? That seems awfully expensive for a S&H charge these days. Or am I way off and that's normal?

Link Posted: 12/12/2015 2:08:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Anyone?
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 7:56:09 PM EDT
[#20]
They wanted $50+ to ship to AK so I think it is.  I called and UPS is the only way they ship, per their CS guys.
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 11:10:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Shot my TRR-SR for the first time yesterday. We were shooting 6 inch groups at 200 yards no problem with slight breeze. I was very excited about 200 but now I want to go to 300. Does anyone know about where to set my turret for 300 to help get me on paper?!? I'm using TRR-SR with Sparrow, PA 4-14X44 FFP MIL/MIL Scope, 25 MOA DIP Base, CCI Standard Velocity, zeroed at 100 yards. Please help me get to 300!
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 11:02:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Shot my TRR-SR for the first time yesterday. We were shooting 6 inch groups at 200 yards no problem with slight breeze. I was very excited about 200 but now I want to go to 300. Does anyone know about where to set my turret for 300 to help get me on paper?!? I'm using TRR-SR with Sparrow, PA 4-14X44 FFP MIL/MIL Scope, 25 MOA DIP Base, CCI Standard Velocity, zeroed at 100 yards. Please help me get to 300!
View Quote

Nevermind guys, I downloaded a free ballastics calculator app and now have the information I need. I checked the calculator against my notes I took for 200 yards and it exactly matches it to the same click! With this new found knowledge after 300 I'll go for 400. Just checked the turret adjustment and I have enough to do it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 11:47:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Got my baby all finished up. Just waiting on specter for clear...

Link Posted: 12/17/2015 4:08:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Nevermind guys, I downloaded a free ballastics calculator app and now have the information I need. I checked the calculator against my notes I took for 200 yards and it exactly matches it to the same click! With this new found knowledge after 300 I'll go for 400. Just checked the turret adjustment and I have enough to do it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

400 is a  l o n g way out for a pea shooter!
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 12:20:10 AM EDT
[#25]
I ended up ordering the DIP kit with the stock as well. It is supposed to be here Wednesday, but the chances of that with the holiday mail is pretty slim. Still, I am hoping that it will arrive before Christmas so I can mess with it during my time off from work.

On another note, I threaded my Sparrow down all the way to seat against the shoulder and it worked fine. After removing it, there was no apparent damage to the threads on the barrel, and no baffle strikes. But I am sure the O ring got chewed up a little because there was a gummy, spongy feeling resistance the last 1/8" or so. I am guessing Silencerco designed the Sparrow so that if some idiot who doesn't read the instructions (like me) screws it onto a .5" threaded barrel it won't actually damage anything other than the O ring. Still, it's a little aggravating that they designed it to use a proprietary thread profile. I have one of their threaded spacers that I bought for use with a .22lr conversion on my AR, and I guess that will have to do until I decide to have the threads cut to their specs. It is stupid quiet with CCI SV. I have a pellet gun that is way louder.

Link Posted: 12/21/2015 12:23:27 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

So is the $24.97 shipping quote to CO the norm; or are folks getting it shipped for less? That seems awfully expensive for a S&H charge these days. Or am I way off and that's normal?

View Quote

It was the same to UT. I paid 199 and some change for the whole kit including stock and shipping.

Savage should take note and offer a $500 version with these upgrades from the factory. (And with a little extra care taken on the fit and finish of the action as well.)
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:34:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Got my baby all finished up. Just waiting on specter for clear...

http://i66.tinypic.com/14sh5ef.jpg
View Quote

Is that a factory finish/color or did you paint it.  That's exactly what I'm looking for.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 1:45:13 PM EDT
[#28]
My DIP kit and stock showed up today!

I will try to get some spacers made later on and get it mounted. I am really looking forward to sighting it in and shooting it!

ETA

I made a couple of aluminum spacers on my lathe since the nearest Lowe's is over 80 miles away. I haven't had a chance to get out and shoot it with the new stock yet but I will probably get some time over Christmas weekend.

The over travel screw they supplied is a bit short, but I m sure I can find one that will fit lying around
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:46:43 PM EDT
[#29]
HA! Most people have a Lowe's near by and only wish they had a Lathe!

Quoted:

I will try to get some spacers made later on and get it mounted. I am really looking forward to sighting it in and shooting it!

ETA

I made a couple of aluminum spacers on my lathe since the nearest Lowe's is over 80 miles away. I haven't had a chance to get out and shoot it with the new stock yet but I will probably get some time over Christmas weekend.

The over travel screw they supplied is a bit short, but I m sure I can find one that will fit lying around
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/22/2015 1:13:28 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

ETA

Well to be honest, my lathe is a bit of a junker. It's been abused and isn't good for any kind of precision work. The ways are probably uneven and the spindle might have some runout. But it works for making small, non-critical stuff. It's probably accurate enough to do an 80% receiver with a milling attachment, but not accurate enough to cut concentric threads on a barrel. I just don't have the time to go through it and check everything. It's a Grizzly G4000 I got used for around $850 or so, and the previous owner had made some variable speed modifications to it that while handy, make determining SFM impossible.

If I had it to do all over again, I'd buy another of this same lathe new, and make sure to treat it very gently, and keep this one for banging out quick parts like these spacers. If I really wanted to get fancy I could probably make some real brass or aluminum bedding pillars but I want to shoot it with the spacers and see if they are "good enough" as-is. I still need to do a little sanding in the barrel channel to make the space even on both sides.
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 1:04:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I ended up ordering the DIP kit with the stock as well. It is supposed to be here Wednesday, but the chances of that with the holiday mail is pretty slim. Still, I am hoping that it will arrive before Christmas so I can mess with it during my time off from work.

On another note, I threaded my Sparrow down all the way to seat against the shoulder and it worked fine. After removing it, there was no apparent damage to the threads on the barrel, and no baffle strikes. But I am sure the O ring got chewed up a little because there was a gummy, spongy feeling resistance the last 1/8" or so. I am guessing Silencerco designed the Sparrow so that if some idiot who doesn't read the instructions (like me) screws it onto a .5" threaded barrel it won't actually damage anything other than the O ring. Still, it's a little aggravating that they designed it to use a proprietary thread profile. I have one of their threaded spacers that I bought for use with a .22lr conversion on my AR, and I guess that will have to do until I decide to have the threads cut to their specs. It is stupid quiet with CCI SV. I have a pellet gun that is way louder.

View Quote

You may want to consider getting a silencerco adapter for your barrel. I got one for two reasons. First and foremost so the thread would be the proper length (which seems like your going to solve that with a spacer) but also it allows me to never have to worry about cross threading my barrel. The only bad thing is that the adapter has a smaller OD than the barrel so it creates a step down and kind of looks a little funky.
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 7:18:48 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
You may want to consider getting a silencerco adapter for your barrel. I got one for two reasons. First and foremost so the thread would be the proper length (which seems like your going to solve that with a spacer) but also it allows me to never have to worry about cross threading my barrel. The only bad thing is that the adapter has a smaller OD than the barrel so it creates a step down and kind of looks a little funky.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

After reading about all the other guys in http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_11/454338_Dilemma__Thinking_about_a_Savage_MKII_SV_SR_to_replace_my_MKII_TR_.html threading Sparrows on with no issues, and my own experience doing the same, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that threading it onto a .5 inch threaded barrel isn't going to hurt anything.

The O ring is supposed to keep soot and other deposits off the barrel threads. Well if the Sparrow is the only suppressor with this feature, then threading it on a little ways past the O ring is no worse than using any other brand of suppressor on the rifle. And looking at the baffle core, there doesn't appear to be any clearance issues with threading it onto a .5" threaded muzzle.

In other words, it seems the FV-SR and the Sparrow play nice (at least, no worse than any other .22 suppressor) in spite of the lack of the proprietary thread profile on the barrel. It certainly doesn't sound bad or appear to have any detrimental effect on accuracy.

Of course, you should always follow manufacturer recommendations because doing otherwise may be unsafe and could ruin everything.  
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 8:13:46 PM EDT
[#33]
So I took the TRR SR past 400 yards (437 to be exact) for the first time today. We were shooting CCI Standard Velocity at gongs (the biggest being 33" in diameter). Our elevation was pretty consistent but the wind was playing tricks with us throwing the bullet left at various distances. We were averaging about 2 hits for every 5 round magazine. I was hoping for better consistently for a 33" gong but understand wind has a severe effect on a .22lr at that distance. We noticed that one hit would be on a gong and then the next hit connected with a different gong that was 4 ft over. Between the steady wind, gusts, and calm patches we were never able to get the windage on in a way that would keep us hitting the target. I'll try again another day when there's hopefully no wind. Does anybody else on here shoot 400+ yards? Are you getting the same results? I'm sure the non-match grade ammo had a little bit to deal with the inconsistency. I could literally hear a difference between some of the rounds.
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 8:31:32 PM EDT
[#34]
what's the latest on where to buy the Boyd's and all the DBM stuff from as a combo? can you get composite stocks or just wood?
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 10:39:58 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

what's the latest on where to buy the Boyd's and all the DBM stuff from as a combo? can you get composite stocks or just wood?
View Quote

This is the page you want. "Everything" in a combo kit comes to about $200 shipped.

Link Posted: 12/29/2015 10:55:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Well, a month or so ago, my wife noticed me looking at a FV-SR on the Cabela's website.  So, I got a gift card from there for Christmas.  I drove up to the West Hartford store, and picked one up.  I like the rifle an awful lot.  My only regret is that the model they had was a "Cabela's exclusive".  It came with a large muzzle break, and an unfluted barrel.  I know that the amount of metal taken off the barrel isn't really that much, I just like the looks of the flutes.  And, a muzzle break on a .22 seems like a waste.  Luckily, the standard thread protector was in the box as well.

Good news is, with my Griffin Checkmate QD attached, it is extremely quiet.  My buddy is giving me a Barska Colorado 3-9x40mm to use until I can save up for some quality glass!
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 7:59:58 PM EDT
[#37]
My GF told her parents that I wanted a Mark II. Her dad ended up at the East Hartford Cabelas and liked them so much that he bought one for himself along with an FV for me. I just ordered a DIP scope mount, BSA Sweet 22 3-9x40, sunshade and rings. Short term I'm going to make a leather cheekrest, long term project is to make an oak tacticool stock myself. As someone with AR's, AK's, an FAL and milsurps, I'm excited for my first scoped rifle.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 5:53:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
My GF told her parents that I wanted a Mark II. Her dad ended up at the East Hartford Cabelas and liked them so much that he bought one for himself along with an FV for me. I just ordered a DIP scope mount, BSA Sweet 22 3-9x40, sunshade and rings. Short term I'm going to make a leather cheekrest, long term project is to make an oak tacticool stock myself. As someone with AR's, AK's, an FAL and milsurps, I'm excited for my first scoped rifle.
View Quote

I was looking at the BSA scope, and almost ordered it when my buddy offered me a 3-9X40 Barska for the $20 be paid for it.  It will serve for now.  Since this is a pretty accurate rifle, I want to save up for a decent scope for it.  Nothing too serious, as I can barely find time to get to anything over a 50 yard range, but something above the usual .22 glass.

I am not going full out on this, the factory stock will do for me, but I did order a UTG bipod for it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 3:41:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Took apart an upper, so I threw on the brake and screwed my sdn6 on it and shot a few rounds, It was retarded quiet

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 1:21:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Bump!
This thing has 92 pages, why is not pinned?
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 1:30:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Has anyone found that their older blued FVSR was more accurate than the new tactical version?  I haven't been able to shoot them rested, side by side yet, but off hand I'm getting that impression.

The blued model sure has a smoother action.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 3:22:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Has anyone found that their older blued FVSR was more accurate than the new tactical version?  I haven't been able to shoot them rested, side by side yet, but off hand I'm getting that impression.

View Quote

There's a new version?
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:17:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

There's a new version?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's a new version?

I have an older one with a straight blued barrel, small bolt handle and regular pic rail mounts.

The newer one has the "fluted" parked barrel, tac bolt handle, and elevated pic rail.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:23:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I have an older one with a straight blued barrel, small bolt handle and regular pic rail mounts.

The newer one has the "fluted" parked barrel, tac bolt handle, and elevated pic rail.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's a new version?

Oh okay.  So the one I had was one of the newer models then.  It was a bit rough out of the box but smoothed up decently.  I ended up putting some flitz on the bolt and working it a couple hundred times to polish in a bit faster.  Ended up selling it since there is no .22 to be found up here though.
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 9:38:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's a new version?

I have one of the new ones...We can shoot them side by side if you want.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 8:18:08 AM EDT
[#46]
Getting closer to done:

Link Posted: 3/22/2016 11:44:29 AM EDT
[#47]
I bought mine a few days ago. Ordered a scope an will probably get a cheek riser and some paint.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 12:34:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Took apart an upper, so I threw on the brake and screwed my sdn6 on it and shot a few rounds, It was retarded quiet

<a href="http://s1289.photobucket.com/user/cwm556/media/E8BC011D-4921-47AA-9D15-5C0E6F2F46C6_zpsq8j9uetv.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b510/cwm556/E8BC011D-4921-47AA-9D15-5C0E6F2F46C6_zpsq8j9uetv.jpg</a>
View Quote

What did you use to paint this?  Looks great!!
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 2:22:03 AM EDT
[#49]
Tag.  Looking at one of these, lots to read.

Txl
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 7:49:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Just bought the threaded SR model for $224. The bolt moves rougher than my older blued rifle with brown laminate stock as someone pointed out earlier. I applied a lot of CLP which helped. With an AAC Pilot and CCI Quiet-22 rounds, this is a very quiet setup. I'll probably buy the stock upgrade later on. Taking it to the range this month for an accuracy test.

Mounted a Bushnell Banner 4-12x scope with Millett low angle-loc detachable rings.

Page / 48
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top