Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 48
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 1:03:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I know this is not exactly the answer you are after but if you do the nylon spacer mod on this forum (page 56), it costs less than $2 and you won't have to worry about properly torquing because all you'll need to ensure is that everything is snugged up nicely. I have the same stock and bottom metal on mine and it has been absolutely trouble free having done this quick inexpensive mod and my rifle will shoot 2" groups at 100 all day.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can anyone tell me the recommend torque specs for the Boyd tacticool and the DIP bottom metal  kit? Does 18lbs sound correct?
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/14/2014 1:23:43 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Can anyone tell me the recommend torque specs for the Boyd tacticool and the DIP bottom metal  kit? Does 18lbs sound correct?

View Quote

18 FOOT pounds is definitely not correct. 18 INCH pounds is probably too light.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 3:24:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
tacked up a tasco that seems to work well:

<a href="http://postimage.org/" target="_blank">http://s5.postimg.org/53mvew00n/Savage.jpg</a>

View Quote

I love the color scheme of this rifle. Anyone have info on what paint color was used for this?
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 11:45:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Bump
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 8:27:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll have some stock pics soon. Just got my unfinished Boyds stock from midway. Just need to stain and truoil it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 3:18:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Guys,

I am in the processing of reading all 80+ pages, so bear with me.  Quick question while I research (forgive me if its been answered).

I have a Mark II BV -- appears to be in a Boyd's Rimfire Hunter from the factory.  Is that correct?

Can anyone post a side-by-side comparison (pics) of the Rimfire Hunter vs Tacticool?  I am going to buy a 93R17 to complement my Mark II and am wondering what advantages the Tacticool stock will give me, as the Rimfire Hunter (or whatever the factory stock is on the BV) is pretty good as-is.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 12:32:23 PM EDT
[#7]
" />
" />
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:38:05 AM EDT
[#8]
FVSR at 300 yards shooting a 1/3 idpa piece of ar500(7x12). With my first box of CCI sv I missed maybe 2 of 30 shots. Went to the next box and the thing was all over the place. Was interesting to see how the accuracy varies from lot to lot. At 100 all CCI SV is about 1 moa.

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 8:12:05 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm going to be pillar bedding my FV-SR in rineland arms stock in a couple weeks and I have a couple questions. First, what are yall using as pillars for the MK2? Will I be able to use the same pillars as centerfire rifles just cut the length down? Or do I need smaller OD/ID ones? Secondly, I've skim bed but never pillar bed a rifle. Do you leave the pillars ever so slightly above the stock to leave space for the bedding material or do you make them level and relieve some material around them for the bedding material. Thanks guys
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:48:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm going to be pillar bedding my FV-SR in rineland arms stock in a couple weeks and I have a couple questions. First, what are yall using as pillars for the MK2? Will I be able to use the same pillars as centerfire rifles just cut the length down? Or do I need smaller OD/ID ones? Secondly, I've skim bed but never pillar bed a rifle. Do you leave the pillars ever so slightly above the stock to leave space for the bedding material or do you make them level and relieve some material around them for the bedding material. Thanks guys
View Quote

Page 56 has the spacer info
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 5:36:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Just picked up a nice used Mark 2 TR.

Previously I have owned a TR and FVSR, sold those

I was trying to remove the factory scope mounts and got three out with no issues, but the fourth stripped something fierce.

This is the second Savage Mark 2 this has occured with. The first time, with the FVSR, I had to have it drilled out and it looks like I will have to do that again.

Just venting :)

I have a nice Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14 scope waiting on her.

Craig
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 11:56:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I was trying to remove the factory scope mounts and got three out with no issues, but the fourth stripped something fierce.
View Quote

Just a friendly tip, I always soak the threads in WD-40 for at least 24 hours before trying to remove factory scope rail screws, especially if they're Torx T10 or smaller. It's pretty frustrating trying to get them out if you don't... I had a Ruger break SIX T10 bits in a row, even after heat was applied with a torch before I learned the WD-40 trick. Never had a problem since.

ETA: Posted this picture a long time ago but what fun are threads without pictures?

Link Posted: 12/30/2014 5:38:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Just a friendly tip, I always soak the threads in WD-40 for at least 24 hours before trying to remove factory scope rail screws, especially if they're Torx T10 or smaller. It's pretty frustrating trying to get them out if you don't... I had a Ruger break SIX T10 bits in a row, even after heat was applied with a torch before I learned the WD-40 trick. Never had a problem since.

ETA: Posted this picture a long time ago but what fun are threads without pictures?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/t31.0-8/467225_10151367485640904_193058852_o.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/t31.0-8/467225_10151367485640904_193058852_o.jpg

Great looking rifle! Hope to have a can myself in a year or so (gotta get to Disney with family first lol).

I got the screw out by using a star bit and a hammer. Turned slowly and it worked!
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 9:08:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Here's mine. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics.

OEM stock with DIP bottom metal ( had to remove some material from the stock to make it flush), textured grip made with PC-7 epoxy, TRIAD stock pack (I'm a lefty, so that's why the packs on the wrong side), PA 4-16 scope and a Rustoleum camo job.

http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o570/tigr2127/2014-07/7056F7D6-249E-4151-BB33-2DEE261A9BE9_zpsz8upmteg.jpg
http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o570/tigr2127/2014-07/8DB57F9C-EBDF-496F-9C9E-DCB44F3391D9_zpsw3bsywgl.jpg
http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o570/tigr2127/2014-07/B9205453-62E6-49CB-9E9E-A89C9536288F_zpsculbbicp.jpg
http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o570/tigr2127/2014-07/7C1243D8-E0DA-4E31-B4D7-0214EEBA01FA_zps43lq0afn.jpg
View Quote

I like the texturing that you did with the PC-7 epoxy on the grip and forend. What is the brand name of epoxy that you used and could you post a short how to?
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 7:44:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Easily my favorite rifle right now. Sorry for the crappy pic.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:10:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Bump
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:49:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Does anyone have any suggestions on where to locate a boyds tacticool? Been trying to pick one up and DIP is still backordered. Boyds directly has a wait last I checked with them, and the typical google search isn't really helping as everyone seems to be out that I saw.

Would LOVE to ditch the garbage stock on my FV-SR.

Also, why are some FV-SR's shipped with non-fluted barrels and a muzzle device instead of flutes and a thread protector? The Savage site isn't much of a help with this.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:14:09 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn thats prolly my old info way back there lol...yeah i used delrin/plastic spacers from lowes and cut em until it fit. Def helped when u tq'd the screws as without them u can hear the stock strain and crack. *scary*.

Also, savage makes guns based on orders....like how some guns are threaded....if lipseys orders 600 MKII TR's With tacticool stocks and threaded...they make em like that. Cabelas makes the fvsr with some brake on the end.  depends who ya get em from.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 9:50:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Does anyone have any suggestions on where to locate a boyds tacticool? Been trying to pick one up and DIP is still backordered. Boyds directly has a wait last I checked with them, and the typical google search isn't really helping as everyone seems to be out that I saw.

Also, why are some FV-SR's shipped with non-fluted barrels and a muzzle device instead of flutes and a thread protector? The Savage site isn't much of a help with this.
View Quote

About the only place that I have ever seen them with regularity is Midway and they are currently out of stock also.
I would just backorder.

As for the non-fluted barrel and muzzle device, it may be a distributor exclusive.
Or you are seeing the 17HMR FVSR. Supposedly some of those do not have fluted barrels.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 10:38:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

About the only place that I have ever seen them with regularity is Midway and they are currently out of stock also.
I would just backorder.

As for the non-fluted barrel and muzzle device, it may be a distributor exclusive.
Or you are seeing the 17HMR FVSR. Supposedly some of those do not have fluted barrels.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would just backorder.

I've been watching Midway like a hawk too. Might just do the backorder from Dip and get the package with bottom metal.

As for the barrel/muzzle device. I purchased my FV-SR from Cabelas. It's definitely 22lr and came with the muzzle device and non-fluted barrel. Doesn't make a difference to me as it'll have a suppressor on it, and flutes don't make a difference either, I was simply curious as to why it was offered in different forms, but not a word about it on Savage's website.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 12:15:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Read through this whole thread and took the plunge on the build. All I have left to get is the boyds and a can. Anyone know what the back order time frame is @ Midway for the boyds?
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 12:46:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I've been watching Midway like a hawk too. Might just do the backorder from Dip and get the package with bottom metal.

As for the barrel/muzzle device. I purchased my FV-SR from Cabelas. It's definitely 22lr and came with the muzzle device and non-fluted barrel. Doesn't make a difference to me as it'll have a suppressor on it, and flutes don't make a difference either, I was simply curious as to why it was offered in different forms, but not a word about it on Savage's website.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would just backorder.

This is just my opinion, but I would order directly from Boyd's.
There may be 100 orders to be filled before Boyd's ships any to DIP.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:57:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would just backorder.

I e-mailed boyds to see their status. No response from them. Went ahead and e-mailed DIP too, their response was: "We are expecting delivery of our stock order any day now as we received shipping confirmation last week."

Might just suck it up and order. My only concern is how many they receive and if it's enough to cover their backorders.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 11:00:16 PM EDT
[#24]
The Tacticool is now called Pro Varmint. They are making them to order right now. It only took 9 days to get mine and well worth the wait! Absolutely get the DIP metal. It's superior in every way to the factory Savage stuff.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 3:15:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Well, I'm the proud owner of a new FV-SR.  Now I just have to figure out what glass and stock to put on it lol.  I'm really torn between the sporter style stock and the tacticool.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 5:24:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Well, I'm the proud owner of a new FV-SR.  Now I just have to figure out what glass and stock to put on it lol.  I'm really torn between the sporter style stock and the tacticool.
View Quote

Welcome to the club!!

ai did some things to my stock and painted it as i am happy with how it shoots now, but did add a kydex cheek riser i made for the crappy stock.

Although i am screwed now, friend came over and we screwed on his spectre  can for a few shots..OH man...I need one now...lol..
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 6:19:04 AM EDT
[#27]
I was kind of surprised about the general state of the rifle.  After cycling the bolt about a dozen times (no dry fire) there were scratches and finish wear all across it.  Not what I expected considering my old 10PC (before I sold it) was immaculate from the factory.

Not going to knock it so long as it shoots though.  *shrug*

As for scopes, I'm between the Prostaff Rimfire and the Vortex Crossfire.  Open to other ideas though.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:49:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I was kind of surprised about the general state of the rifle.  After cycling the bolt about a dozen times (no dry fire) there were scratches and finish wear all across it.  Not what I expected considering my old 10PC (before I sold it) was immaculate from the factory.

As for scopes, I'm between the Prostaff Rimfire and the Vortex Crossfire.  Open to other ideas though.
View Quote

I shoot the Nikon Prostaff 3-9 Rimfire on my FV-SR myself. I had thought about others, but that scope is really perfect for the rifle. The Crosshairs are set for 50yd's, and bdc for 75, 100, 125, etc... All the ranges I'll be using it at. It's frequently on sale at Cabelas, optics planet, etc... I really think you get a lot of bang for your buck in the scope.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:25:19 PM EDT
[#29]
I have the mulleur APT on mine. I havent shot it yet tho so cant give an accurate review. However the glass is clear and it seems like a solid budget scope.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 3:11:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

What power range, budget and reticle did you have in mind?
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 4:19:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I shoot the Nikon Prostaff 3-9 Rimfire on my FV-SR myself. I had thought about others, but that scope is really perfect for the rifle. The Crosshairs are set for 50yd's, and bdc for 75, 100, 125, etc... All the ranges I'll be using it at. It's frequently on sale at Cabelas, optics planet, etc... I really think you get a lot of bang for your buck in the scope.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've used the Vortex and Nikon before.  Really, it just depends what stock I put on the rifle.  Sporter style will probably get the Nikon for grouse hunting, but the tacticool will probably get the Vortex for higher magnification.

That said, despite having a ton of Nikon products, I kind of hate their CS if anything breaks.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:25:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Edit:  This or the PA 4-16x mil dot to use as a mildot trainer.  

After some consideration, I am probably going to mount tech sights on the rifle and see if I can cowitness or at least use a PA reflex comfortably on it.  If not, the reflex will just go on the 22/45 Lite that will probably be my next .22 purchase.

So basically Storz's rifle except with a laminate stock and red dot.  Should give me a very nicely handling rabbit/grouse blaster and appleseed gun.  Any thoughts?  I am iffy on red dot height vs the irons though.

Who knows, if it shoots as well as I've heard I might just pick up a second one this summer to keep scoped.  

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 7:45:34 PM EDT
[#33]
" />

" />

Finished building mine this weekend.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:14:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:20:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Details?
View All Quotes

Looks like a Boyds stock, Vortex Diamondback scope, and Surefire Ryder suppressor to me.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:00:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Looks like a Boyds stock, Vortex Diamondback scope, and Surefire Ryder suppressor to me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Nailed it!
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:35:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Might be time for a suppressor
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 1:18:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Regular skinny barrel MK II for me
Cut to 18" and threaded to SiCO specs

Spectre II and bushnell 4-12x

Link Posted: 2/3/2015 1:24:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll241/ppcseniortrip/Wall%20MKII.jpg
View Quote

those squirrels won't see ya coming!
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 2:02:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm getting my .22wmr threaded so I can be more prepared for racoons too
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 4:50:03 PM EDT
[#41]
As a heads up, I just heard back from PA about the irons vs the micro red dots.  With the micro mounted on a weaver #16, it is going to be a lower 1/3 witness or there about.  

Per the email, from the bottom of the sight where it sits on the rail to the center of the viewing area is 21.58mm + whatever the height of a weaver base is vs the 17.2mm of the sight.

Will post photos when everything arrives.  Worst case, I'll see if I can find a slightly shorter base for the red dot but I think this will work.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 1:19:58 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View Quote
love that paint job

Link Posted: 2/6/2015 3:13:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Love that paint job. What kind of stock pack is that and does it hold the mags securely?

Craig
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 4:02:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Anyone know where to source a stock for the FVSR?  Boyds wants $45 to ship up here, and only does UPS.  Might just end up getting an unfinished tacticool from Midway or one of the kits from DIP, but that really isn't how I wanted to go.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 7:46:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Love that paint job. What kind of stock pack is that and does it hold the mags securely?

Craig
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Craig

The stock pack is a knock-off eagle from ebay.
It's designed to hold individual .308 cartridges and I removed every other stitch.
Holds them very well.

Also has a zipper pocket for other stuff
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 2:36:08 AM EDT
[#46]
The reflex is still slightly high, so I'm going to try to shave a mm or two off the base.  I have about 4-5mm to work with before the red dot mount contacts the receiver, so it should be plenty.

Link Posted: 2/8/2015 2:01:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
The reflex is still slightly high, so I'm going to try to shave a mm or two off the base.  I have about 4-5mm to work with before the red dot mount contacts the receiver, so it should be plenty.

http://th01.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2015/038/5/8/primary_arms_reflex_red_dot_by_aknorthpolar-d8h4jx8.jpg
http://th09.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2015/038/5/d/savage_fvsr_by_aknorthpolar-d8h4jvg.jpg
View Quote

I have a TR right now, but this is tempting me to try something similar with Tech Sights.  Nice!
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 4:37:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I have a TR right now, but this is tempting me to try something similar with Tech Sights.  Nice!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://th01.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2015/038/5/8/primary_arms_reflex_red_dot_by_aknorthpolar-d8h4jx8.jpg
http://th09.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2015/038/5/d/savage_fvsr_by_aknorthpolar-d8h4jvg.jpg

If you do order the tech sights, spend the extra $20 to get the tool and extra aperture set.  The stock peep sight is really damn tiny, but overall they are incredibly well built.  Just need a single 6-48 hole to mount the front sight.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 11:26:27 PM EDT
[#49]
I just got my Boyd's Pro Varmint stock in and the DIP package but the mag well screw closest to the trigger seems to be too small.  Does anyone know the proper size for the wood screw?  It looks like a #6 1/2 will fit but I wanted to see if any of you have run into this already.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 11:52:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I just got my Boyd's Pro Varmint stock in and the DIP package but the mag well screw closest to the trigger seems to be too small.  Does anyone know the proper size for the wood screw?  It looks like a #6 1/2 will fit but I wanted to see if any of you have run into this already.  
View Quote

its a screw to secure DIP metal into the stock and not the action.
Page / 48
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top