BCM
User Panel

Page / 48
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 8:03:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Hey, that looks pretty good.  Weather held up today so I was able to zero the scope and do some ammo tests.  Defintely need to pick up some more of the Eley Target ammo.https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/25626665/Marksmanship/2016-10-02%2016.31.09.pnghttps://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/25626665/Marksmanship/2016-10-02%2020.14.43.png  
View Quote

Try cci standard velocity. It's sub moa at 100 in my fvsr 9 times out of 10 ha. Seems my accuracy goes to shit after 300 rounds almost on the dot. Clean it and 20 rounds later it's back shooting sub moa at my zero.

Group from Saturday at 100

Link Posted: 12/22/2016 11:01:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
How far were you guys able to shoot with your FVSRs and Boyd's stocks on your scopes without MOA rails and other adjustments? I have a Leupold AR on mine, and it won't give me much more elevation past 100 yards.
View Quote

BSA Sweet 22 at 150 yards with the elevation adjustment . I think it goes to 225 or 200. Its a great 3x9 for the price and it is very sharp . Its a sleeper scope for the price as long as you dont expect to snipe insurgents in a desert with it.   Buddy had the leupold scope in his that is 10 power and we both agreed while the Leupold is a great scope the BSA was perfect for what it is and ease of use. Also the turret has 3 grain weights so if you are like me and switch ammo a lot it makes it easier 

its this one.  I see several listed 
http://m.sears.com/bsa-sweet-22-series-3-9x40-rifle-scope/p-00659607000P?sid=IDx01192011x000001&gclid=CLnGwOCJiNECFcK6wAodAv0LHA&gclsrc=aw.ds
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 9:32:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

BSA Sweet 22 at 150 yards with the elevation adjustment . I think it goes to 225 or 200. Its a great 3x9 for the price and it is very sharp . Its a sleeper scope for the price as long as you dont expect to snipe insurgents in a desert with it.   Buddy had the leupold scope in his that is 10 power and we both agreed while the Leupold is a great scope the BSA was perfect for what it is and ease of use. Also the turret has 3 grain weights so if you are like me and switch ammo a lot it makes it easier 

its this one.  I see several listed 
http://m.sears.com/bsa-sweet-22-series-3-9x40-rifle-scope/p-00659607000P?sid=IDx01192011x000001&gclid=CLnGwOCJiNECFcK6wAodAv0LHA&gclsrc=aw.ds
View Quote

I have the same scope on mine and it isgreat for the price. Never shot mine over 100 yards though.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 11:27:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Last week I received a Mark II FV-SR as a gift from a friend to celebrate the birth of my second child. My impressions so far:

Positive:
GREAT trigger out of the box. Really impressed.
Heavy barrel should tolerate heat well and be reasonably accurate.
Overall a nice lightweight, compact package.

Negative:
Stock is definitely going to need a cheek riser. Seems like even just looking down the scope rail I can only get a chin weld. I like the look of the DIY kydex kit off eBay that was posted earlier.
Threads on the muzzle are too long for my SilencerCo Sparrow to seat properly against the shoulder. I put a timing washer on there for now. Worth paying ~$40 for a SiCo 1/2-28 to 1/2-28 w/ o-ring clearance adapter?
Mag release is counter-intuitive and feels pretty cheap. But then I'm probably not going to be doing emergency reloads on timed coursed of fire with it.

Since this is really for my kids when they are old enough to learn to shoot, I doubt it will be used much beyond 25 yards (deepest action bays at my local club). Is the Primary Arms 1-4x the best cheap low power variable around these days? Or would even that be overkill? I already have an M&P 15-22 with a red dot for when they're up for a semi-auto, but I'd like this to be a handy, short-range precision setup.

The only spare optic I have lying around is CompM4, which might be a bit large for it.  

Link Posted: 2/12/2017 5:03:18 AM EDT
[#5]
For around the same price, look at the Nikon Prostaff Rimfire.  IMO better glass for the same price point.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 12:21:00 PM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 4/13/2017 2:59:01 PM EDT
[#7]

My new mk2.  But a tacticool stock on it and use the plastic spacer mod.  I pruchased 1/4" length ones from ace and they worked great.  Hoping to shoot it this weekend.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:50:46 AM EDT
[#8]
I've been reading through the last few pages of this thread and I've seen the Boyd's tacticool stock mentioned several times.  I am I understanding this right:

If I take a FVSR and purchase the $130 Boyd's tacticool stock, Boyd's $30 bottom metal and $5 worth of action screws (plus what sounds like ridiculous s&h), my FVSR turns into a TR without the funky side picatinny rails?

According to Bud's (only place that I've looked so far), the FVSR is $289 and the TR is $533, so going this route would be $40ish cheaper depending on s&h.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:12:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've been reading through the last few pages of this thread and I've seen the Boyd's tacticool stock mentioned several times.  I am I understanding this right:

If I take a FVSR and purchase the $130 Boyd's tacticool stock, Boyd's $30 bottom metal and $5 worth of action screws (plus what sounds like ridiculous s&h), my FVSR turns into a TR without the funky side picatinny rails?

According to Bud's (only place that I've looked so far), the FVSR is $289 and the TR is $533, so going this route would be $40ish cheaper depending on s&h.
View Quote
FVSR should run about $200-225 or at least that's where it was a year ago when I picked mine up, none the less look at it as a fantastic host for a 22 can with subs- it is rediculously quiet and makes the most seasoned old men smile with how quiet and accurate it is

Edit: currently $235 at grab a gun
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 5:59:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I just finished the nylon pillar bed method on a Boyd stock. What is the proper torque on the screws?

Also...I just put the Lowe's 1/4" thick ones in there slightly thicker than prescribed but it seems fine.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 7:53:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Took apart an upper, so I threw on the brake and screwed my sdn6 on it and shot a few rounds, It was retarded quiet

http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b510/cwm556/E8BC011D-4921-47AA-9D15-5C0E6F2F46C6_zpsq8j9uetv.jpg
View Quote

I am going to have to try this! 22 or 17HMR?
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 8:26:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Since this is a MKII thread I'd imagine it's a 22. I shoot mine with a Kestrel 5.56 can and it's retarded quiet with American Eagle Suppressor subsonic ammo. I've only taken a couple test shots in my back yard with my 17HMR, but I imagine the muzzle blast will be basically zero as well, but hard to tell with the crack and bullet impact noise reflecting off the house.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 9:58:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Since this is a MKII thread I'd imagine it's a 22. I shoot mine with a Kestrel 5.56 can and it's retarded quiet with American Eagle Suppressor subsonic ammo. I've only taken a couple test shots in my back yard with my 17HMR, but I imagine the muzzle blast will be basically zero as well, but hard to tell with the crack and bullet impact noise reflecting off the house.
View Quote
A safe assumption but many of us ended up purchasing both. That tends to happen with a thread that has been going on for as long as this one. Thanks for the info. Going to try my AAC on both and see what they sound like.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 1:35:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Threads on the muzzle are too long for my SilencerCo Sparrow to seat properly against the shoulder. I put a timing washer on there for now. Worth paying ~$40 for a SiCo 1/2-28 to 1/2-28 w/ o-ring clearance adapter?
View Quote
IMHO the adapter is worth it, but a peel washer (which sounds like what you are using) will get you the right thickness so that the threads aren't digging into the o-ring. If it's the only thing you use the Sparrow for, you could also take the o-ring out of the Sparrow.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 1:42:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

IMHO the adapter is worth it, but a peel washer (which sounds like what you are using) will get you the right thickness so that the threads aren't digging into the o-ring. If it's the only thing you use the Sparrow for, you could also take the o-ring out of the Sparrow.
View Quote
Thanks man. I think I'll grab a few the next time they're on sale. I have a few other .22lr hosts for the Sparrow - no time to shoot any of them right now. Kids are cute and all, but they really cut into my range time. 
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 6:34:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 8:20:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Thanks man. I think I'll grab a few the next time they're on sale. I have a few other .22lr hosts for the Sparrow - no time to shoot any of them right now. Kids are cute and all, but they really cut into my range time. 
View Quote
Precision Armament makes shims you can use. I've been having too much fun with other hosts and have not shot the FVSR suppressed yet. But I do need a spacer as well.

http://precisionarmament.com/product/replacement-accu-washer-shims/

#8 is 0.074" nominal
#9 is 0.076" nominal
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 3:32:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 8:46:01 PM EDT
[#19]
My Savage Mk 2 has a fluted 'bull barrel' with a black synthetic stock. The stock touches the barrel on one side. Is there any way to repair this without filing or cutting the stock? I like this rifle, but this issue bothers me quite a bit.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 2:34:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
My Savage Mk 2 has a fluted 'bull barrel' with a black synthetic stock. The stock touches the barrel on one side. Is there any way to repair this without filing or cutting the stock? I like this rifle, but this issue bothers me quite a bit.
View Quote
I had the same issue.  I assumed it was the stock but after purchasing a boyds stock and mocking it up, I found it was actually the barrel's orientation into the receiver.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 6:23:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I had the same issue.  I assumed it was the stock but after purchasing a boyds stock and mocking it up, I found it was actually the barrel's orientation into the receiver.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wow thanks.
Edit that looks sarcastic as I reread it. I genuinely appreciate the input.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:10:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Hello, I currently own a MKII TR, but would love to suppress it. Is it possible to thread the barrel for this purpose? If so, any recommendations?
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 9:54:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Hello, I currently own a MKII TR, but would love to suppress it. Is it possible to thread the barrel for this purpose? If so, any recommendations?
View Quote
It would probably be cheaper to buy a new threaded gun.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:38:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
Threading can normally be done for around $50 to $100 depending on the smith, Morgan over in the EE does exceptional work and can do probably anything you ask and more
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 4:25:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Finally got my Savage MKII FV-SR put together. Really excited to try it out!

Burris AR Optics 1-4x (I couldn't resist the Labor Day deal from Brownells for $100 shipped)
Vortex Optics Tactical 30mm Low Rings
SilencerCo Sparrow
SilencerCo 1/2-28 - 1/2-28 Thread Adapter (threads on the barrel were ~.200 too long, and would have cut into the o-ring)
CVLife Bi-Pod (Harris clone)
Razor Rest cheek piece (from grabamag on eBay)
Page / 48
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top