Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 48
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 10:25:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Ya know, this is a probably a little late, but...

What's the thread on the muzzle?  I assumed 1/2-28, would I be correct?

Yes
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 10:47:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I ordered my FVSR on friday and it should be here Wednesday, i will post pictures when it gets here.  This will be a good host for my YHM mite.

This is the reason that i got it.  The action is louder than the shot.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIrqaPgGTWU
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:22:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I ordered my FVSR on friday and it should be here Wednesday, i will post pictures when it gets here.  This will be a good host for my YHM mite.

Yeah dude, mine with winchester subs is crazy quiet. Its really neat when you shoot far away. *click* second or two later *ting*
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:14:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah dude, mine with winchester subs is crazy quiet. Its really neat when you shoot far away. *click* second or two later *ting*

Yeah I'd say that's about a quite as mine.

You wanna have real fun? Take off you regular optic, throw on an Aimpoint, PVS-14 and a IR torch. Now go shoot soup cans in the pitch dark. You as the observer don't hear shit, nor see shit. But what you do hear is me giggling like a little school girl and the ring of the bullet hitting the can.

Just saying.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:41:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Just ordered one from Bud's.Anyone running a can have to use a spacer due to the threads running long?

I read about it somewhere?
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:19:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Just ordered one from Bud's.Anyone running a can have to use a spacer due to the threads running long?

I read about it somewhere?

Most silencer are looking for .4" of threads. If yours is greated than that then you need a spacer to take up the extra threads...
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:18:41 PM EDT
[#7]

running an Outback II on mine and use a cork-material washer plus a metal washer as i do on my 10-22 but it works just fine.  super quiet.

i've decided to sell mine as i like the semi auto better.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 9:30:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

running an Outback II on mine and use a cork-material washer plus a metal washer as i do on my 10-22 but it works just fine.  super quiet.

i've decided to sell mine as i like the semi auto better.

Thanks for the info,I also will be using an outback II.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 9:47:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Another big fan here.  I'm running a Tactical Innovation can.  Tonight I'm probably going to ditch the 3-9x Prostaff and put a Mueller APT in Burris XTR rings on there.  I'll snap a picture if I do.  The Prostaff is great glass for the price but I'd like to use something with target turrets.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 9:48:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Is that a green stock?
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 9:59:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, Cabella's had an exclusive in .22 or .17hmr.  It has the green stock, threaded barrel with stupid looking break on it, and a nice 1 piece EGW rail.  Got it for $429 minus $85 for opening a new Cabella's account.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 10:13:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yeah, Cabella's had an exclusive in .22 or .17hmr.  It has the green stock, threaded barrel with stupid looking break on it, and a nice 1 piece EGW rail.  Got it for $429 minus $85 for opening a new Cabella's account.

I am jealous.....
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 10:20:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Both my Outback 2 and my  Zephyr XL suppressors fit fine with no washers needed.  The threads are a bit longer than the .4 that Gemtech recommends but it doesn't seem to make a difference as far as I can tell.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 11:22:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Both my Outback 2 and my  Zephyr XL suppressors fit fine with no washers needed.  The threads are a bit longer than the .4 that Gemtech recommends but it doesn't seem to make a difference as far as I can tell.

Mine is the same, fits fine and functions correctly but the threads are longer than .4.  I'm guessing that pushes the initial blast further into the can but doubt it matters as much on a .22lr can vs something like a .30cal can with a dedicated blast baffle.

The funny thing is I used my can almost exclusively on a P22 so a "crust" of lead and carbon built up where the P22 threads stopped.  When I put it on the MKII for the first time, that crust broke off in a big chunk and came out.  I think it's time to clean my can lol
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 8:54:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Due to poor weather most of OK City has been closed up, hopefully I'll have my FV-SR in my hands tomorrow.
If anyone has any specific picture requests post them and I'll do my best.  

1 more thing- any one know what height rings I'd want for this thing?  Optic is to be a Bushnell 3200 10x40mm mil-dot, 1" tube.  (Midway has them for $175 until 2/28)

Link Posted: 2/2/2011 11:07:31 PM EDT
[#16]
I had a 1" tube/40mm objective scope on mine and low rings fit perfectly fine.  I have med rings on a 30mm tube /44mm obj scope now and I think I could even run lows on that thing.  Go with low rings.

oh btw, could you post a close up picture of the crown/threads if you get a chance?  Thanks a lot!
Link Posted: 2/3/2011 12:08:59 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I had a 1" tube/40mm objective scope on mine and low rings fit perfectly fine.  I have med rings on a 30mm tube /44mm obj scope now and I think I could even run lows on that thing.  Go with low rings.

oh btw, could you post a close up picture of the crown/threads if you get a chance?  Thanks a lot!

I'll try!  If it doesn't look right we'll try again!

Thanks for the tip on the rings.  

Link Posted: 2/3/2011 1:23:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Just got mine today.  It's nice. The stock will be the first thing replaced, it's kinda cheap. I test fit my can and scope mount when I got home and took some crappy iPhone pictures. Also mine was made in Canada.

Link Posted: 2/3/2011 9:30:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

My 40mm 1" tube Mueller APV scope is mounted with Burris Xtreme picatinny low rings.  The crown of the barrel does NOT look like the photos previously posted.  It looks exactly like a threaded AR barrel crown.

Link Posted: 2/3/2011 9:29:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Geesh, thanks a lot.  Now I have to go buy one!
Link Posted: 2/3/2011 9:32:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Did your FV-SR just come with the one 5 round mag?
Link Posted: 2/3/2011 11:36:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Yes but i got a 10 round magazine at Dicks sporting goods.  I had a $10.00 gift card so it only cost me $12.00.
Link Posted: 2/3/2011 11:50:52 PM EDT
[#23]
It was $23 at Dicks for a 10rd mag?  That's not too bad all things considered.

I had planned on buying a couple 10rd mags from midway along with some wolf 22lr ammo but they were out of stock.  Normally I don't think to look at Buds for magazines but they had them for $14 a piece.  Figured I may as well get them while I could.
Link Posted: 2/5/2011 12:05:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Here is my BV that I bought back in 98 for $204, with the Rifle Basix Sear. I use it for hunting, and I use Aguila SuperMax HP's that really get the job done. For the money you can't beat these things!

Link Posted: 2/5/2011 5:31:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Ya know, this is a probably a little late, but...

What's the thread on the muzzle?  I assumed 1/2-28, would I be correct?

you are indeed correct
Link Posted: 2/6/2011 3:50:36 PM EDT
[#26]
i just picked mine up yesterday

went to zero it today and i was able to shoot shotgun shell hulls at 50-60 yards even with the cheap scope.

what scope sizes and rings is everyone else running on these guns, ied like to have a mildot scope

Link Posted: 2/6/2011 5:20:24 PM EDT
[#27]
I ordered one of these to put on top of mine.....

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=950843
Link Posted: 2/6/2011 5:26:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

i like that scope alot, but i want variable power

something like 4-16

i saw another guy going with a mueller 4.5-14 x 40 and i may end up going with that.

looks like the majority of guys are running low rings with 40mm scopes
Link Posted: 2/6/2011 5:33:05 PM EDT
[#29]
I wanted it because it IS fixed.  It will be my first foray into 'milling' and I wanted to keep it as easy as possible.

Link Posted: 2/6/2011 11:36:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Cole, that is an excellent first mil scope and you're dead right on variable magnification being one less thing to screw up.  Only reason I'd go variable is for hunting use.
Link Posted: 2/7/2011 8:40:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
i just picked mine up yesterday

went to zero it today and i was able to shoot shotgun shell hulls at 50-60 yards even with the cheap scope.

what scope sizes and rings is everyone else running on these guns, ied like to have a mildot scope

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a218/xXLucidXx/DSCF0467-1.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a218/xXLucidXx/DSCF0468-1.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a218/xXLucidXx/DSCF0471.jpg

What/Whoes stock is that?

Link Posted: 2/7/2011 9:34:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Its a boyd's tacticool stock that comes on the TRs.
Link Posted: 2/7/2011 3:04:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

something like 4-16

i saw another guy going with a mueller 4.5-14 x 40 and i may end up going with that.

You mean more like this:

http://primaryarms.com/product.sc?productId=915&categoryId=156
Link Posted: 2/7/2011 11:18:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

correcto

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

something like 4-16

You mean more like this:

thats a good lookin scope, i found a honey of a deal im waiting till friday for payday though

may go with weaver rings too
Link Posted: 2/7/2011 11:19:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

crap cole, i stumbled across this last night but didnt get a chance to post it for you till now, sorry man

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&brand=BH&prodID=BH321040M&prodTitle=Bushnell%20Elite%203200%2010X40%20Target%20Turret%20Riflescope%20Mil-Dot%20Reticle%20Matte

ETA: let me know how you like it i may order one too i dunno yet
Link Posted: 2/8/2011 7:52:33 AM EDT
[#36]
If its any consolation that isn't the same scope.  Mine has a mil dot with mil turrets, should make things very simple.  That one doesn't say so I'm assuming it has mrad turrets.

I should have it today, and the rifle tomorrow if the weather holds up.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/8/2011 8:06:15 AM EDT
[#37]
awesome

im staying tuned for pics!!
Link Posted: 2/8/2011 8:38:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Will the Boyd's tacti-cool work with the FV-SR? Their site says something about maybe having to have different bottom metal? Seems silly to pay an extra $200 for a $95 stock. PLus, the 16" bbl would work better w/ a suppressor. I've decided I'm getting one, but the crappy stock on the FV-SR scares me with how few replacement options there are.
Link Posted: 2/8/2011 8:50:30 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

correcto

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

something like 4-16

You mean more like this:

thats a good lookin scope, i found a honey of a deal im waiting till friday for payday though

may go with weaver rings too

I have the Burris, they seem to work just fine. I have not though tested for return to zero. From time to time my Savage wears an Aimpoint and PVS-14.
Link Posted: 2/8/2011 11:32:08 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Will the Boyd's tacti-cool work with the FV-SR? Their site says something about maybe having to have different bottom metal? Seems silly to pay an extra $200 for a $95 stock. PLus, the 16" bbl would work better w/ a suppressor. I've decided I'm getting one, but the crappy stock on the FV-SR scares me with how few replacement options there are.

It should work just fine, but yes, you have to get a new trigger guard and most people recommend a thicker bottom metal for the mag area, simply for durability sake.  It's not necessary.

I'll let you know in 5 weeks when I, hopefully, have my tacticool stock on my FV-SR.

ETA: looks like the parts are $50 total.  http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-321/Savage-93––fdsh––Mark/Detail

Link Posted: 2/8/2011 11:51:53 AM EDT
[#41]
Looks like I'm going to get the FV-SR then. Can you buy the forward rail the TRR-SR has? I have a NVD I'd like to put on there.
Link Posted: 2/8/2011 11:52:49 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

The price difference is made up of the stock, the trigger guard, bottom metal, the bolt knob, and the flutted barrel.  Is any of that necessary?  Not really, they probably shoot the same once you add the stock, trigger guard, and bottom metal to the FV-SR..  In the Cabela's version, I also got the EGW base included with mine.  Another $40 value.
Link Posted: 2/8/2011 12:11:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The price difference is made up of the stock, the trigger guard, bottom metal, the bolt knob, and the flutted barrel.  Is any of that necessary?  Not really, they probably shoot the same once you add the stock, trigger guard, and bottom metal to the FV-SR..  In the Cabela's version, I also got the EGW base included with mine.  Another $40 value.

The FV-SR on the savage website appears to have the bolt knob, fluted barrel, and EGW base. So really you're talking about bottom metal ($30 right now) and the stock ($95?) = $125. FV-SR Is $275 on Bud's and the TRR-SR is $475. The only thing missing would be the forward rail.
Link Posted: 2/8/2011 12:40:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The FV-SR on the savage website appears to have the bolt knob, fluted barrel, and EGW base. So really you're talking about bottom metal ($30 right now) and the stock ($95?) = $125. FV-SR Is $275 on Bud's and the TRR-SR is $475. The only thing missing would be the forward rail.

Nice, the FV-SR used to just be the MKII FV with a threaded barrel.  That's a hell of a deal at $275, even with the crappy stock.

It's not a $200 difference for the stock/metal.  There's still the TRR rail to factor in but I think that rail is pointless (unless you're one of the few using NVD) so I'd go with the FV-SR.  

Of course if you go to Cabela's you still come out on top if you open a new account just to get $85 off your purchase.  The rifle is $419 when it goes on sale, plus tax, minus $85.  Total  came out to $371 and no wait on shipping or $$ on FFL transfer.

ETA:  The more I look at it, there is little to no savings with the FV-SR.  You need the screw set to go with the bottom metal.  You can't reuse the FV screws.  Metal + screws + shipping is about $52 from the above site.  Cheapest shipping option from Boyds on the Tacticool stock is $17.20 totalling $109.20 delivered for the stock (and they're all out of stock FYI).  Average FFL transfer here is $20 if I were to order from Buds.  Now you're $200 difference is ~$161 in parts + the forward rail.  Comes down to what you want I guess.  Both would work but converting the FV-SR to a 16" TRR-SR isn't going to save you tons of money.
Link Posted: 2/8/2011 1:16:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Other than the looks of the stock, what would the advantage be of the TRR over the FV-SR?  The fluted, threaded barrel on the FV-SR is actually superior IMO as it is shorter which works better with suppressors.  The rail on the FV-SR looks to be the same overall length as the TRR but actually provides more rail space as the TRR rail is in sections.  (This could be a optical illusion in the photos though.)  The TRR has side rails but what would you actually use those for?  If you are concerned about a higher cheek weld then buy a $15 Blackhawk cheek pad and call it done.  While the polymer stock may not be as rigid as the Boyds, I would argue that it is likely tougher and more resistant to scratches and dings.
Link Posted: 2/8/2011 1:54:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Like I said, it comes down to what you want.  I like the ergonomics of the grip and the overall feel of the stock.  Buying local gave me the chance to shoulder the different stocks before buying.  They didn't have the threaded FV but most of the MKII heavy barrels have that plastic stock.  And I'm not sure why you say the FV barrel would work better suppressed than the TR.

Here's 5 rounds of Remington Subsonic, suppressed from earlier today at 50 yards.  I was just trying to dial in the Mueller I put on.

I was laying in the dirt, prone off the bipod with no bag or anything.  I would have gone 10+ rounds but it was uncomfortable where I was and I was just trying to get a decent zero.

Regardless of what model you pick, these things are shooters.  They feel great, are fun, accurate, and only get better with more rounds down the pipe.
Link Posted: 2/8/2011 2:09:34 PM EDT
[#47]
<–– New to suppressor hosts. Does the extra 6" of barrel w/ sup. make it unweildy as compared to the stubby 16"er? I had a 16" 10/22 and it just looked odd.

Just decided. Right now. TRR-SR, no waiting for parts, shipping, etc. I'm impatient. The nearest Cabela's is several hours drive from here + tax.
Link Posted: 2/8/2011 2:16:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Yes, it's pretty long.  It's almost funny looking lol.  But I'm not clearing rooms with it so it's never bothered me.
Link Posted: 2/8/2011 2:22:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Yes, it's pretty long.  It's almost funny looking lol.  But I'm not clearing rooms with it so it's never bothered me.

Any velocity difference between the two? Concerns over super vs sub sonic for reg. velocity ammo?

Link Posted: 2/8/2011 2:30:30 PM EDT
[#50]
It be sweet to have both side by side and a chrono.  I can tell you that SV through mine go super sonic.  I would think the 16" barrel would be the same.  I think the limit is somewhere down closer to 5-7" for SV ammo going super sonic.
Page / 48
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top