BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 48
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 1:59:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What did you use to paint this?  Looks great!!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Took apart an upper, so I threw on the brake and screwed my sdn6 on it and shot a few rounds, It was retarded quiet

<a href="http://s1289.photobucket.com/user/cwm556/media/E8BC011D-4921-47AA-9D15-5C0E6F2F46C6_zpsq8j9uetv.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b510/cwm556/E8BC011D-4921-47AA-9D15-5C0E6F2F46C6_zpsq8j9uetv.jpg</a>

What did you use to paint this?  Looks great!!

Aervoe Field drab and Earth Brown
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 5:00:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm looking into getting the Savage Mark II TR model and was wondering if anyone knows if the TR already has the upgraded bottom metal and trigger guard from DIP installed on the Boyds stock from the factory? Or is that a separate upgrade that I will have to buy from DIP?
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 5:04:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm looking into getting the Savage Mark II TR model and was wondering if anyone knows if the TR already has the upgraded bottom metal and trigger guard from DIP installed on the Boyds stock from the factory? Or is that a separate upgrade that I will have to buy from DIP?
View Quote

Have to buy the stock and bottom metal separate
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 12:30:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's for the FV-SR, the TR already has the stock installed. Idk what kind of bottom metal it uses.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:20:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Bump
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:29:20 PM EDT
[#6]
How far were you guys able to shoot with your FVSRs and Boyd's stocks on your scopes without MOA rails and other adjustments? I have a Leupold AR on mine, and it won't give me much more elevation past 100 yards.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 2:33:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:14:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Nicely done!
Can you tell me about the cheek riser?
View All Quotes

Bought it on ebay: here.

I'm happy with it. Installed in about 10 min with a drill, provides a solid cheek weld and good sight picture.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 2:34:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'm happy with it. Installed in about 10 min with a drill, provides a solid cheek weld and good sight picture.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

purchased. thank you gentlemen. as much as i like the boyds... this is just too easy of a solution
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:47:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

How is this compared to the Boyds? Any other mods to the stock besides the two holes. I just can't justify the $200 now for the replacement stock and bottom metal.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 7:06:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

How is this compared to the Boyds? Any other mods to the stock besides the two holes. I just can't justify the $200 now for the replacement stock and bottom metal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The point of the Boyd's stock for rebedding the rifle is to allow you to free float the barrel. A cheek riser will improve the shooter's comfort, but it won't impact accuracy like a stock change would. Some people have claimed their factory stock allows top notch accuracy. I didn't have the same experience.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 8:11:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

The Boyd's stock is heavier and improves the overall feel of the rifle, but as far as comfort and sight picture the cheek rest works just as well (if not a little better since it's adjustable). The factory stock is free floated, so the main advantage of the Boyd's is the look and feel.

Install just involved putting the cheek rest on the stock. Marking the drill points with a marker, and drilling. Then you install the bolts through the cheek rest with some rubber washers to keep the rest from moving.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 9:52:46 PM EDT
[#14]
I agree with most of this but would add that the Boyd's stock is laminated wood so it also does a fine job of absorbing unwanted vibrations that are transferred straight through the factory stock. When I went to the Boyd's stock, any occasional flyers I had went away.

Quoted:

The Boyd's stock is heavier and improves the overall feel of the rifle, but as far as comfort and sight picture the cheek rest works just as well (if not a little better since it's adjustable). The factory stock is free floated, so the main advantage of the Boyd's is the look and feel.

Install just involved putting the cheek rest on the stock. Marking the drill points with a marker, and drilling. Then you install the bolts through the cheek rest with some rubber washers to keep the rest from moving.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/5/2016 6:14:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks guys. I may just pick this up in the interum and when I find that money tree, pick up the Boyds...

Link Posted: 5/17/2016 7:31:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Savage FVSR - AAC Element II

Link Posted: 5/17/2016 11:03:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Can't remember if I've posted my rifle in this thread yet or not so just in case:

Savage mark II FVSR
Boyd's tacticool stock
Harris Bipod
Silencerco Spectre II
Mueller APT 4.5-14x40
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 8:07:14 PM EDT
[#18]
My budget contribution- Warlock now with a Mask on the way.

I'll give Matthew's Fabrication a plug.  Cheekpiece is really nice.  Took 10 minutes to fix that problem.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 8:08:34 PM EDT
[#19]
i'm waiting on boyds to get their act together before i can post, been over 5 weeks since i ordered my stock
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 8:25:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
i'm waiting on boyds to get their act together before i can post, been over 5 weeks since i ordered my stock
View Quote

Weird. Mine was shipped same day back in April/May.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 8:35:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

they sent an email with something about plant expansion and how orders are going to take up to 2-3 weeks longer
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 8:16:45 PM EDT
[#22]

Link Posted: 7/1/2016 9:05:37 PM EDT
[#23]
I pulled the trigger on Mark II TRR-SR a little while back. I couldn't quite afford it, but it was on sale / and couldn't afford to pass up the great deal..

As I can never leave anything stock I did mod it a bit, turned the trigger pull down to 2 1/4#.. I also put a 4-16X42 BDC VORTEX DIAMONDBACK HP on top of it..

There wasn't any  wind blowing this afternoon, nor rain, AND I had a little time to get out and play with it a bit...

I raided my stash I have under my bed in my mom's basement, and now I have a good idea as to what it likes to eat.. (CCI AR TACTICAL)

I really like this shooter... Now to get my son behind it so he can earn his Boy Scout merit badge for Rifle shooting...
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 12:22:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Does anyone have an image of any of the boyds stocks in the walnut custom option? Also has anyone ordered any of the laminate or walnut stocks with the high gloss finish? Worth the extra cost?
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 2:07:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Does anyone have an image of any of the boyds stocks in the walnut custom option? Also has anyone ordered any of the laminate or walnut stocks with the high gloss finish? Worth the extra cost?
View Quote

i ordered the walnut option and it should be here by the end of the week, pm me and i'll send you pictures when it gets here
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 4:26:38 PM EDT
[#26]
What rings would you guys recommend for a FV-SR with the factory stock and a Nikon Prostaff Target EFR 3-9x40 AO?
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 4:33:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
What rings would you guys recommend for a FV-SR with the factory stock and a Nikon Prostaff Target EFR 3-9x40 AO?
View Quote

Mediums are standard, but with the extra height from the rail you might be able to get away with low.
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 8:29:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have the nikon prostaff 4-12x40 and I use these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015ZOZ78/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 10:22:36 AM EDT
[#29]
well I busted out the savage for the first time in years... have no sights, can't find the magazine, but still had a blast shooting it with subs and the mask. Got 5 magazines en-route and need to figure out what glass I want on it.

Link Posted: 7/31/2016 1:26:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Has anyone ordered a Pro Varmint from Boyds lately? I read a couple horror stories regarding processing times and have been unable to get them to answer the phone after multiple calls.  
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 3:35:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Has anyone ordered a Pro Varmint from Boyds lately? I read a couple horror stories regarding processing times and have been unable to get them to answer the phone after multiple calls.  
View Quote

mine took 8 weeks to show up, i would give them a month or 2 to get settled into their new space, they said it was because of expansion or something along those lines
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 9:03:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

I ordered a black Pro Varmint on 7/28 and had a tracking number on the 29th.  It's scheduled for delivery 8/4.  Did I get lucky?
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 9:31:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I ordered a black Pro Varmint on 7/28 and had a tracking number on the 29th.  It's scheduled for delivery 8/4.  Did I get lucky?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is encouraging but I am looking at one of their custom options and had some questions about the finishes they offer.

Just seems odd that I cant get ahold of anyone at what is likely a reasonably sized company.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 5:11:34 PM EDT
[#34]
For those wanting a picatinny rail on their Boyds stock for a bipod, Seekins Precision makes a pic rail, sling mount combo called their SRS Rail. Order the one for the Bell & Carlson stock. It has a 2 1/2" bolt spacing, same as the Boyds.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 5:14:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Well, my evil idea of having both Tech Sights and a scope on the FVSR looks like a bust.  With the irons behind the scope rail, the irons get into the bolt path by just a mm or two.  On one and, I could mill off that little corner of the mount, but that still leaves the adjustment getting whacked by the bolt.  

At least that's what the mockup showed me.  It was worth a shot at least.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 3:49:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Just got my stock stained, oiled, waxed and installed.  I like it a lot, much better than factory.

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 5:00:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Just got my stock stained, oiled, waxed and installed.  I like it a lot, much better than factory.

<a href="http://s663.photobucket.com/user/bigpercentcountry/media/image_zpsx3qeosgy.jpeg.html" target="_blank">http://i663.photobucket.com/albums/uu360/bigpercentcountry/image_zpsx3qeosgy.jpeg</a>
View Quote

That sure is purdy.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 5:25:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Just dropped the rifle into the Boyd's Stock and got some glass for my FV-SR, can't wait to get some range time.

Link Posted: 10/2/2016 7:38:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Finally got a new stock in for my FV-SR! It feels perfect to me now.

Link Posted: 10/2/2016 8:20:27 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Finally got a new stock in for my FV-SR! It feels perfect to me now.

http://i.imgur.com/hGbmxFVl.jpg
View Quote

Hey, that looks pretty good.  

Weather held up today so I was able to zero the scope and do some ammo tests.  Defintely need to pick up some more of the Eley Target ammo.

Link Posted: 11/30/2016 2:01:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Just got a new FV-SR.  I'm putting a 44 objective scope on it.  I plan on using Warne rings.  Anyone know if I should use their Low or Medium rings?  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 2:12:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Just got a new FV-SR.  I'm putting a 44 objective scope on it.  I plan on using Warne rings.  Anyone know if I should use their Low or Medium rings?  Thanks in advance.
View Quote

Medium.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 2:50:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 12:11:47 AM EDT
[#44]
Okay anyone have any idea where not to get raped on the cost for these crappy sheet metal magazines?
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 1:06:02 AM EDT
[#45]
I know light primer strikes are a known issue with these. Mine would do it every so often when new but has progressively become worse. It is now at the point where nearly half of all rounds will not fire. This is with 7-10 different brands of ammo.

I have polished the bold components and removed a small amount of material from firing pins stop face. This did not help so reached out to Scott at Savage Gunsmithing. Purchased and installed his stiff firing pin spring. Still no change in performance.

Last resort is to send it to Scott to get checked out but he has been MIA for the past few weeks.

Thoughts? Maybe a new firing pin?
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 6:48:17 AM EDT
[#46]
I seen them for around 15ish online.  Not to bad i guess.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 10:40:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Does anyone know if the model linked below is in the Boyd's stock everyone is talking about? The specs say it has a threaded barrel, but the picture doesn't show it.

I'm considering getting one, but would prefer not to deal with ordering an aftermarket stock.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/MARKIITRRSR
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 11:18:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Yea, it has the boyds stock and a threaded barrel.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 11:11:23 PM EDT
[#49]
I picked up a Mark II TRRSR the other day. I'm going to ditch the picatinney rail conglomeration that comes with the rifle and replace it with a picatinney rail from DIProducts.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 1:28:08 AM EDT
[#50]
I have a Savage FV-SR factory stock for sale if anyone is interested.
Page / 48
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top