Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/1/2011 1:09:00 PM EDT
I am thinking about changing the factory barrel on my Ruger 10/22 to either a Green Mountain or E.R Shaw target barrel. Which one should I go with? Also what length 16", 18", or 20"? I will use it mainly for target practice at ranges up to 100 yards, I might throw in a varmint hunt (squirrel, rabbit, etc. )
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 6:24:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I have an ER Shaw 18" stainless and so far its gtg....
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 7:07:42 PM EDT
[#2]
My Son and I built this using a Green Mtn 18" barrel and I cannot believe how accurate it is. Much of it is about the right ammo, Wolf Match cant be beat but most of the better sub sonic shoot really well too. The only thing I did besides bolting it on was after about 200 rds I took it down and matched the barrel to the receiver by filing down the high spot where they mate to each other.
Rim fire central is your friend. http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php
Link Posted: 1/2/2011 6:51:38 AM EDT
[#3]
HiDesertDog carries GM barrels and they can be purchased threaded with a thread protector for a right reasonable price.

Clark & Shilen barrels are also worthwhile to check out.
Link Posted: 1/2/2011 9:18:01 AM EDT
[#4]
check out: www.Rimfirecentral.com

Both barrels have a good following.  The GM barrel seems to have many more followers, perhaps because of frequent sales.  But then again, there were some QC issues in the past with a run of GM barrels.  Can't a mfn have a "bad run?"

But then, even different barrels will like different ammo. And on any given day one barrel w/ "X" ammo might be a tad more accurate. So, what did that all prove?

OK.......so..........

I have both brands and since they are mounted on different rifles..............what do I know.

I'd have to mount the different barrels on the same platform to run a test.  But then, I haven't tested 1000s of barrels so, have I proved anything?

My advice:

Check for availability and price.  Make your best deal.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 1/2/2011 9:28:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have an ER Shaw 18" stainless and so far its gtg....

Same here. Shoots best with Federal Auto Match for me. It is nice to see a GM vs. ERS barrel thread without the GM (Kidd, VQ etc.)or nothing mantra.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/3/2011 3:49:11 AM EDT
[#6]
I put a 20" GM barrel in my 10/22 with a Hogue stock. The 20" barrel gives it a slightly excessive muzzle heaviness in the plasitc stock, so if I do it again, I am thinking of using an 18" barrel. It does shoot very well. I used Loctite on the barrel when I fitted it to the receiver.
Link Posted: 1/3/2011 4:06:41 AM EDT
[#7]
I have the GM in 20" on mine with the Boyd's TactiCool stock.  This combo doesn't seem too nose heavy to me.  It seems that most folks are going with less than 20" these days.
Link Posted: 1/4/2011 7:55:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a Green Mountain on a TactiCool stock. Made a nice little rifle, especially with that VQ 2000 trigger assembly.

I went with the 18 inch barrel as anything longer than about 14-16 inches in a .22 is just slowing it down. Also, the rifle is a bit better balanced.

Now, if you want a great barrel many swear by their Clark's
Link Posted: 1/4/2011 8:09:34 PM EDT
[#9]
kidd barrel
Link Posted: 1/5/2011 12:33:38 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a ER Shaw 18" blued sporter on a 10/22,it is nicely finished and very accurate.I am totaly impressed with it as its quality would lead you to believe it cost much more than the $90 I paid for it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2011 4:13:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Years ago when they only offered 20" barrels I got a fluted GM barrel.  Works great but a hair heavy.  I'd probably do an 18" today.  Very nice barrel.
Link Posted: 1/6/2011 7:50:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a Green Mountain 16" fluted barrel on one 10/22 and a Adams and Bennett on another.  Both are very accurate, but the GM is the winner.  My GM barreled 10/22 has put 5 rounds into one .22 hole at 35 yards from a sand bag rest and I have the target to prove it.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top