Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2010 1:25:04 PM EDT
Forgive me if this question is as old as AK vs AR, but what can one do with the 22 magnum that the 22 LR doesn't already do?  Is it better for shooting at, say, over 200 yards?  

Are any benefits worth the increase in ammo cost-per-round?

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 2:40:13 PM EDT
[#1]
22 mag is much better than 22 LR in almost every way. Its just so much more expensive now.  $10 box vs $2 box.  One of the best rifles I ever had was a ruger 77/22  bolt gun. Would shoot 10 shots under an inch every single time at 100 yards which a 22LR usually won't do.  My daughter used to shoot it so much I was going broke with it. She would shoot like 200 rounds as fast as I could load the mags for her.  I used to joke at the range that it was a crew served weapon. I bought her a 10/22 target model and its much cheaper. She just likes to shoot as fast as she can. Much flatter shooting much more accurate at distances and has more energy as one would expect.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 6:56:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Much flatter shooting much more accurate at distances and has more energy as one would expect.

That's what I'm looking for most of all.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 7:35:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Much flatter shooting much more accurate at distances and has more energy as one would expect.

Well then just skip on over to .17HMR. Ammo cost isn't that different, and the vertical drop out to 100 yds is only .400". A .22mag can't touch that, and a .22LR is over 6" in a 30 grain standard velocity load
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 4:28:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well then just skip on over to .17HMR. Ammo cost isn't that different, and the vertical drop out to 100 yds is only .400". A .22mag can't touch that, and a .22LR is over 6" in a 30 grain standard velocity load

For target purposes, the 17HMR would be a better pick, as it is flatter then the 22WMR as you state. But where the 22WMR shines would be a hunting application. the 22WMR produces better energy then the 17HMR dues to its heavier bullet weight. True, shot placement is even more important then 22WMR VS. 17HMR.

Another thing to consider is the firearm the OP wants. If they want a bolt, 17HMR or 22WMR would be fine. If the OP wanted a semi, a 22WMR would be a better choice, as 17HMR semi's have been recalled due to unsafe shooting situations caused by inconsistant ammo.

I never drank the 17 cal. Kool-Aid myself, and I went with a 22WMR when I wanted something with more power then a 22LR.

Magnum Research Magnumlite - 22WMR
Nikon Monarch 5-20 X 44
TPS Low Aluminum Rings
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 8:39:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Another thing to consider is the firearm the OP wants. If they want a bolt, 17HMR or 22WMR would be fine.

This is the route I'm considering, as this rifle would be primarily to indulge my Walter Mitty-esque sniper daydreams (on the cheap).  I've tried shooting at my local range with the 22LR at longer ranges, but the groups really, really come apart at 200 yards (more of a pattern), and 300 yards (maximum distance available) is, well,  just plain ugly.

The added benefit of the .22 mag over the .17 would be its use as a hunting round, which is how I became interested in this cartridge.

FWIW, the bolt-action rifle (to be named later) would need to come with iron sights, and I would prefer detachable box magazines (although a tubular mag is not a no-go).
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 9:17:32 AM EDT
[#6]
I bought a Marlin 22mag when I was 18 years old. Its been accurate enough for everything I've used it for out to 200yds and I don't need to worry about the rounds skipping as far as with a centerfire round. Its taken hundreds of woodchucks, that's what I bought it for but it gets used for just about all my 'varminting' anymore. I've always felt that the 17hmr got blown around a lot in the kinds of winds that we tend to have around my house so that got regulated to a range gun then got sold altogether. In short, I love mine, its one of 3-4 guns that I'll never get rid of.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 10:29:09 AM EDT
[#7]
50 grain .22 Magnum is capable of reliably killing coyote size animals out to 125 yards, I have seen it done.
The .17 HMR does not produce terminal effects great enough to do the same, at least I have seen it fail several times on coyote at similar distance producing nasty surface wounds without killing.

.17 HMR is a wonderful target round out to 200 meters, it actually bucks the wind better than the .22 Magnum and can produce very tight groups.

A neighbor of mine uses a Savage in .17 HMR to shoot turtles that infest his pond and does so from his back deck, the distance is just shy of 200 meters.

My buddy swears by the .22 Magnum and doesn't own a .22 long rifle of any sort.
His Rimfires are an old Erma lever action and a Smith and Wesson M48 6" revolver.

Me, I like .22 Hornet, .223, and .243 because I can reload them.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 12:03:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Another thing to consider is the firearm the OP wants. If they want a bolt, 17HMR or 22WMR would be fine.

This is the route I'm considering, as this rifle would be primarily to indulge my Walter Mitty-esque sniper daydreams (on the cheap).  I've tried shooting at my local range with the 22LR at longer ranges, but the groups really, really come apart at 200 yards (more of a pattern), and 300 yards (maximum distance available) is, well,  just plain ugly.

The added benefit of the .22 mag over the .17 would be its use as a hunting round, which is how I became interested in this cartridge.

FWIW, the bolt-action rifle (to be named later) would need to come with iron sights, and I would prefer detachable box magazines (although a tubular mag is not a no-go).

Well, Would you consider  a lever action? Almost as fast as a semi, but a locked bolt... Henry makes some very, very accurate .22LR rifles (Have shot a Golden boy in less than ideal circumstances and came away impressed) and also offer them in .22mag.

One thing you are absolutely going to need on a rimfire (unless we are talking .17hmr under 200 yards) is a BDC scope calibrated for the load you are shooting. There aren't many of those made for rimfires, Shepherd is the only company I know of. I had a P22LR scope and can't say enough about it-it was stolen and I will replace it some day.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 8:29:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Well, Would you consider a lever action?

I've pretty well settled on the idea of a bolt-action.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top