Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/28/2009 6:21:39 AM EDT
What are the pros and cons of each? Bare lead .22 bullets vs. copper coated or copper washed lead?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/28/2009 7:23:21 AM EDT
[#1]
They're not bare lead, except maybe Thunderbolts.
Depends on whether you want standard velocity or high velocity.  
It's mainly the high velocity stuff that's copper coated to prevent leading, which is less of a problem with standard velocity.
With semiautos, some of the really gooey match ammo will tend to gum up the action eventually, but it cleans easily.
Link Posted: 6/28/2009 10:25:33 AM EDT
[#2]
The "plain lead" bullets actually have a clear wax type coating on them to lubricate the bullet and prevent leading.

With some guns and some plain lubricated bullet combinations, you "may" have some leading problems.  If you do, try a different brand until you find one that doesn't lead.

You'll very seldom have leading with any plated ammo.

Plain lubed ammo is cheaper, and often dirtier.
Plated ammo cost more but seldom causes any leading or excess fouling.
Link Posted: 6/28/2009 3:10:20 PM EDT
[#3]
from my experience, copper washed and just lead doesnt really change anything cause they both lead up my suppressor either way and i dont really see any difference when it comes to lead.
Link Posted: 6/29/2009 4:22:36 AM EDT
[#4]
My experience is limited to Mini-Mags, Remington bulk "Golden Bullets," and Winchester Xpert HV.  The HV's unwashed bullets leaded the snot out of my Advantage Arms kit, absolutely filling the rifle lands full within 50 rounds.  (None of them would eject, either –– are their cases a bit oversized or something?)

Anyone else run into that with the Xpert HVs?  I don't want to waste my remaining 500, but they didn't leave a good taste in my mouth....
Link Posted: 6/30/2009 10:48:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My experience is limited to Mini-Mags, Remington bulk "Golden Bullets," and Winchester Xpert HV.  The HV's unwashed bullets leaded the snot out of my Advantage Arms kit, absolutely filling the rifle lands full within 50 rounds.  (None of them would eject, either –– are their cases a bit oversized or something?)

Anyone else run into that with the Xpert HVs?  I don't want to waste my remaining 500, but they didn't leave a good taste in my mouth....

Not all guns "like" all ammo.  The Xpert HV's would probably shoot great in another gun.
.22 guns and ammo are known for giving different results in other guns, so many .22 shooters buy a number of brands, then shoot each to find the one that's most accurate/reliable in their specific gun.

As example, I once had a 10/22 that shot Remington standard velocity great, and a Colt Trooper Mark III that shot Thunderbolt great, but dirty.
Neither round shot well at all in the other gun.
I had an Anschutz Match rifle that I used to shoot practice matches with.  It was some obscure off-brand of cheap British made ammo that was only imported for a few years back in the 1960's.  It wouldn't shoot in any other of my guns.
Link Posted: 7/1/2009 5:25:06 AM EDT
[#6]
I have noticed a lot of residue comes out of my suppressor when I use lead 22lr.  With copper coated 22lr this is not as bad.

I would imagine that he trade off is that the copper will tend to "wear" the barrel more since it is a harder metal than lead.... but in 22lr that difference may be too small to even notice except over thousands and thousands of rounds.
Link Posted: 7/2/2009 6:20:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I have similar problems in my Remington 581-Xpert HVs won't extract. Then again my 581 has a noticeably tighter chamber than any of my other .22s. As far as copper being more expensive, if you're buying Stingers or Mini-Mags, sure it is. However, Federal bulk pack is copper washed and is quite a bit cheaper than most of the plain lead I find, even Thunderbolts and Remington golden bullet bulk.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top