Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2017 11:49:17 AM EDT
I'm looking for a good set of tactical electronic ear muffs that are good for indoor rifle shooting.  I've seen Peltor tactical 6.5 muffs, but getting the battery compartment open is a major PITA.
Anything else?

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 12:24:18 PM EDT
[#1]
YMMV, but I've yet to find a set of muffs that I didn't feel the need to stack with plugs for indoor rifle use. On public indoor ranges you lose the benefits of electronic protection in my experience anyway as there is just too much going on to carry on conversations.

Our local indoor ranges are small, maybe your experience will be different. The Peltor's are a solid option. Howard Leight's are hard to beat on a budget.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 4:15:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Double your budget and look at the MSA Sordin Pro-X's with the gel cups if you're not going to run any comms.

Double your budget again if you're going to run comms and look at the TCI DEHP or the Peltor Comtac III's (always go gel cups).
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 4:36:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Double your budget and look at the MSA Sordin Pro-X's with the gel cups if you're not going to run any comms.

Double your budget again if you're going to run comms and look at the TCI DEHP or the Peltor Comtac III's (always go gel cups).
View Quote
Came here to post this.

Avoid the trendy green slim Howard Leights. They are crap and don't seal well. I have a pair and loan them out to friends who forget their earpro and encourage them to double up. No such problems with my MSA's.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 6:27:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Came here to post this.

Avoid the trendy green slim Howard Leights. They are crap and don't seal well. I have a pair and loan them out to friends who forget their earpro and encourage them to double up. No such problems with my MSA's.
View Quote
Plus the lights cut the sound vs compressing it down. It gets so annoying.

Comtacs for the win.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 7:39:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Came here to post this.

View Quote
I just got a set o these and modified them for my helmet.  I can confirm they sometimes don't deal well so I double up. I must admit mixing them made this worse. In stock consideration I actually didn't find them bad.  But they were $35. Not $300.

And I might not be the best person to contribute to this topic because I'm of those people who doesn't find suppressed 5.56 loud (hearing checked, it's fine). So I can get away with the Howard leights. I only double up now after I put them on the helmet.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 8:12:13 AM EDT
[#6]
There's no point in running electronic earpro, no matter how good, when on an indoor range. They're just not protective enough. Seriousy. My $25 no name headset outperforms my $250 Sordin Supreme Pro-Xs while indoors.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 9:05:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Really like the new Peltor Tactical 500. Blocks more sound than any other amplified headset of its type.  Nice varable delay sound compression and amplification technologies too. Better protection than many non amplified sets.

I also have Peltor Comtac III, which I like, and Sordin Supreme Pro, which I hate.

Don't listen to garbage about amplified hearing being not protective enough or not worth it at the range. You can still hear people better with amplified ears with plugs in and good ears offer great protection. Also streaming music from your phone via Bluetooth is cool, but sucks battery life.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 10:17:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I have the big pair of Pro Ears Gold, they work well for indoor.

I also have a pair of F-nova non electronic ear pro which are great for very loud environments and comfortable, I use those if I'm shooting alone indoors.  I think these were sub $20 on Amazon.

Sordins don't cut it for indoor, not even close for me. Haven't owned or tried comtacs yet but I think the NRR rating would make them better suited for outdoor use.  Also interested in picking up a pair of peltor tac 300's for outdoor use.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 10:21:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have the big pair of Pro Ears Gold, they work well for indoor.

I also have a pair of F-nova non electronic ear pro which are great for very loud environments and comfortable, I use those if I'm shooting alone indoors.  I think these were sub $20 on Amazon.

Sordins don't cut it for indoor, not even close for me. Haven't owned or tried comtacs yet but I think the NRR rating would make them better suited for outdoor use.  Also interested in picking up a pair of peltor tac 300's for outdoor use.
View Quote
Do you use eye pro with thin frames near the ear? If not then it's breaking your seal.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 10:16:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
YMMV, but I've yet to find a set of muffs that I didn't feel the need to stack with plugs for indoor rifle use. On public indoor ranges you lose the benefits of electronic protection in my experience anyway as there is just too much going on to carry on conversations.

Our local indoor ranges are small, maybe your experience will be different. The Peltor's are a solid option. Howard Leight's are hard to beat on a budget.
View Quote
I love my Sordin Supreme Pros, but for that kind of use, the old Gentex Wolf Ears from the 1990s are solid gold. I have a couple sets left over from back then that I upgraded with Oregon Aero cups and I always switch to them when shooting at an indoor range. They block concussion like nobody's business. My .308 puts out way too much boom with my Sordins when under a roof for extended shooting and I need to double up (usually use Earasers musician's plugs and then turn up the Sordins' amp to maximum). No need with my old Wolf Ears.

Sordins definitely beat them on comfort though. Wolf Ears are bulky, heavy, and feel like wearing those carrier deck crew headsets. But they work.

Every now and then I find a pair dirt cheap and I buy them for parts if they're working. If you ever find a set, BUY THEM. Then install these: Oregon Aero Upgrade Kit
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 12:12:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Ran with Sordins when on the states dime.  That said, if I could take care of breakable crap I might be coaxed to buying a pair.  But, that won't happen.  Outside I can't tell the difference between Howard Leights.  I double plug regardless inside or out.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:58:44 AM EDT
[#12]
I've had Sordins, ComTac II's (issued) and ComTack III's (purchased).  I liked the Sordins the best out of those.  But I dumped muffs completely and bought a set of Peltor TEP-100.  Noise canceling ear plugs, water proof, fits in a pocket, rechargeable case that recharges the plugs when you put them in the case, and with the superior noise reduction of a plug over a muff.  You can't go wrong with these.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 11:44:41 AM EDT
[#13]
I used the low profile Peltor with the wire behind the head for a long time.  They're okay for sound protection and you can talk since they shutdown with a shot.  But frankly they're not worth the hassle.  Like all over the ear types they're hot.  When you take them off you have to do something with them.  As mentioned pulling them apart to change the batteries is a pain.  Because they're hot you sweat and that corrodes the batteries very quickly.  You really need to take them apart after each use so they can air out.

Finally, since they're muffs they don't offer the best protection.  I already have a VA disability rating on my ears from years as an Artilleryman.  I need to protect them as best as I can before my hearing is gone.

For the past few years I've been wearing this hat from SKD.  It's fantastic!  The plugs are on retractable reels.  Just pull them out and use them.  When done remove them, press the side of the reel and they retract into the hat.  Great level of protection.  No fiddling with muffs.  If you need to pull a plug you retain it hands-free.  I'm an instructor and in 35+ years of teaching firearms they're the best hearing protection I've ever used.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 7:33:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Those look like they are worth a try, just ordered,
Thanks
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 11:36:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I've had Sordins, ComTac II's (issued) and ComTack III's (purchased).  I liked the Sordins the best out of those.  But I dumped muffs completely and bought a set of Peltor TEP-100.  Noise canceling ear plugs, water proof, fits in a pocket, rechargeable case that recharges the plugs when you put them in the case, and with the superior noise reduction of a plug over a muff.  You can't go wrong with these.
View Quote
Funny how people who have run all 3 usually like Peltors best. My buddy runs those plugs, always asks me why I don't run em when it's hot,  as I always remove my headset due to heat. I figured I would lose them. Is there a way to tie them together like the Surefire plugs so I am less likely to lose one?
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 6:04:08 AM EDT
[#16]
I currently use green Howard Leight ear plugs and then the green impact pro electronic muffs over them. With the volume maxed, I can hear people pretty well, but the cushioning on the cups hurts after an hour or so. Are there other muffs that can go as loud or louder than these? I tried some of the cheaper Peltor electronic muffs and they’re way more comfortable for long term use but they don’t go loud enough for me to be able to easily talk to people through the ear plugs. Ideas?
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 1:02:47 PM EDT
[#17]
I use 33nrr plugs under some walkers electro muffs from the local farm store. I can actually carry on a conversation really well, and the 33nrr's are there to protect my ears. It's amazing the money some of the options in this thread are and they only offer 22nrr. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top