Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2017 1:05:28 AM EDT
have never delved into body armor, but i figure now as we enjoy the days of salads, it is a good a time as any to buy

(will not be a "work" kit, just something to train in/have/etc)

big fan of "buy once cry once", but that needs to mesh with the fact that i don't need a elite tier operator setup with $500 per plate and high speed everything

i know i want either III+/IV multi-curve ceramics, having trouble finding something thats either not from a sketchy brand, or isnt $$$. And what the hell is up with some websites requiring you submit your passport to buy plates? definitely dont want to resort to that

as far as carriers i have been eyeing the Shellback Banshee 2.0 and Mayflower APC, similar setup and both have great reviews. The Crye JPC 2.0 looks really cool as well even though it lacks in padding. All 3 are within my price range.

i am 6'4 so im thinking that size "Large" plates are what i should be going for?

would greatly appreciate any advice/points in the right directions y'all have.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 2:27:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Right then, let's get you squared away. 

First off I'm not sure what plates you were looking at but there are plenty of sub $500 ceramics out there, which brings me to my first question. Exactly what plates do you want? You said III+ or IV. These are not the same and even within the same protection level there are differences. I will explain further down below.

Second, if you could lay out a firm price range that will help a lot. 

Third, what is a "sketchy brand"? Yes, there are less than reputable dealers/manufacturers out there but I need names. You said you've never "delved into body armor" and based on the rest of your post I'm guessing you have little, if any experience with it? It may be that you were looking at legit dealers/manufacturers but didn't know, but you very well could have ran into some shady stuff. There is a lot of cheap chinese armor hitting the market now that likes to masquerade as something it's not, so you're apprehension is understandable and IMHO smart. Especially when dealing with items you may depend on to save your life.

---------------------

Now let me lay down some general info...

Yes, some dealers require proof of citizenship/residence/etc. Some dealers are also Mil./LEO only. Just the way it is. SKD Tactical for example has a body armor policy that requires you to send in something (can't remember what at the moment, but something like drivers license/birth cert. etc...) when you buy armor from them. I disagree with their policy and hence don't buy armor from them or anyone else with such a policy. This is a personal choice, and what you choose to do and who you choose to deal with is up to you. 

As for a carrier I find this is a highly personal choice and everyone has their preferences. What works for you with your specific setup, purpose of use, etc. may be totally different from someone else's. However I have heard good things about all 3 carriers you mentioned. Something to note to is size your carrier with your plates. If you buy a size large carrier, get large plates. Otherwise they may not fit or the fit will be sloppy. 

---------------------

Now I'm going to explain some stuff about plates and protection levels. Ready? This'll be a long one...

First of all level III+ is not a proper NIJ rating. It seems to have come about with steel plates and "special threat" plates of varying materials. What it usually means is a plate that meets level III standards while also defeating "special threat" rounds, usually stuff like M193. Where a level III steel plate will stop lead .308 and lower velocity 5.56 it may not stop M193. That's where the III+ comes in. Usually plates marked III+ will stop such rounds as M193 while not meeting level IV standards, meaning it can't stop .30-06 AP and the like. 

That's where level IV comes in. Level IV armor is designed to stop AP rounds, including .30-06 black tip at high velocities. Level IV armor is the highest actual armor rating attainable.

Now lets muddy the water some. There are some plates that only meet their full protection rating when used in combination with (otherwise known as ICW) soft armor backers, usually IIIa rated. These are usually level IV ceramic plates that were made without the backing material behind the ceramic strike face built into the plate. The soft armor backer acts in the place of this backing material. ICW plates are usually lighter and thinner, but you MUST wear the appropriate soft armor backer behind the plate for it to meet its full threat level. Plates that do not require a soft armor backer are called "stand alone" plates.

To clarify, an ICW plate rated level IV will require soft armor (almost always IIIa rated) behind the plate for it to reach its threat level of IV. Without the soft armor it may stop bullets but blunt truama and back-face deformation will be extreme, plus other hazards. A "stand alone" level IV plate does not require the wearing of any soft armor behind it. It will perform as intended by itself. 

---------------------

Now, as for places to buy plates the first one to come to mind is HighCom Security who are actually offering 20% off right now. The coupon code is available through the the news headline right here on Arf near the top of the page under "Site Notices". You're welcome. 

There are others besides HighCom but I'm less familiar with them and I'm pretty sure you can find exactly what you're looking for there anyway. I personally don't know the ins and outs of all their plates but others here do and someone else will hopefully be along to help out.

---------------------

Sorry if I missed anything but it's late and my eyes are trying to shut even as I type this. I'll be back tomorrow though to help you out more. Please do try to answer my first three questions, that will go a long way toward helping you out. And I know I laid out a lot here but if you can try to narrow down exactly what it is you're after that will also help. Hopefully this info will help with that. 
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 2:33:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Plates?, level IV.

Look at Highcom or bulletproofme.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 10:24:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Look at www.tacticalscorpiongear.com as well. I have both level 3+ steel and level IV ceramics and have tested the 3+ and was very impressed with the quality and the plate stopped 193 out of a 16 inch barrel at 9 yards. It was defeated by the same at 8 yards. The plate was defeated by a 20 inch barrel firing 193 at both 10 and 25 yards. Given how thin the plate is it performed to better than the listed velocity. It did stop green tip from a 20 inch at 8 yards.....
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 10:42:16 AM EDT
[#4]
thanks for the info guys, so just to confirm; the real difference between a quality III+ plate ("quality" defined as having extensive testing, reviews, etc) and a quality IV plate, is that the the IV will stop 30-06 AP rounds? im looking at plates and these III+ plates stop damn near everything and are only 4.7lbs per Large SAPI plate

http://www.bulletproofme.com/RP-Level-3-PLUS-Ceramic.html

for the Large SAPI on IV's its up to nearly 8.5lbs per

i guess it comes down to a personal decision of wether i need to be able to stop .30 cal AP rounds and the extra weight is justified
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 12:50:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
thanks for the info guys, so just to confirm; the real difference between a quality III+ plate ("quality" defined as having extensive testing, reviews, etc) and a quality IV plate, is that the the IV will stop 30-06 AP rounds? im looking at plates and these III+ plates stop damn near everything and are only 4.7lbs per Large SAPI plate

i guess it comes down to a personal decision of wether i need to be able to stop .30 cal AP rounds and the extra weight is justified
View Quote
There are lighter level IV plates, but they're going to be more expensive. This is because there are several types of ceramic used to make plates, with alumina ceramic being the cheapest and heaviest. As I recall that's what's used for BulletProofMes level IV plates, hence their high weight but low cost. 

In my personal opinion III+ plates are perfectly satisfactory for personal protection as long as they will stop high velocity rounds such as M193. Again, this is a personal choice with no single "right" answer. 

As to the exact differences between a III+ plate and a level IV plate it's hard to say because, as I mentioned in my first post, III+ is not a "real" rating. There are no set standards for what a III+ plate is. The + is just used to denote "special threat" capability beyond that of a standard level III plate while still not meeting level IV standards. Generally speaking III+ plates will not stop rifle AP rounds of any kind, while level IV will. 
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 1:15:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

There are lighter level IV plates, but they're going to be more expensive. This is because there are several types of ceramic used to make plates, with alumina ceramic being the cheapest and heaviest. As I recall that's what's used for BulletProofMes level IV plates, hence their high weight but low cost. 

In my personal opinion III+ plates are perfectly satisfactory for personal protection as long as they will stop high velocity rounds such as M193. Again, this is a personal choice with no single "right" answer. 

As to the exact differences between a III+ plate and a level IV plate it's hard to say because, as I mentioned in my first post, III+ is not a "real" rating. There are no set standards for what a III+ plate is. The + is just used to denote "special threat" capability beyond that of a standard level III plate while still not meeting level IV standards. Generally speaking III+ plates will not stop rifle AP rounds of any kind, while level IV will. 
View Quote
appreciate the insight. i think for training/general protection purposes the III+ from bulletproofme . com will do, will stop M80, M193, M855, 7.62x39, if someone is shooting at me with .30 cal AP rounds i probably should be hiding behind a rock or running the other way lol
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 1:58:17 PM EDT
[#7]
The JPC is great. Have personally worn it and did not really mind the lack of padding. The minimalist design helps keep weight down and encourages a slimmed-down, "essentials only" load. I would suggest the AVS if you plan on carrying more shit, as its a cross between the JPC and the bulkier Crye vest (can't remember it's name). The AVS is my favorite vest but to purchase all the componants can be pricey. A gen 4 IOTV is also good IMO, not sure how available they are.

I have never actually purchased plates but $500 PER plate seems unreasonable, but I may be totally wrong. I know you can get MBAV cut soft armor backing (compatable with the AVS) for $304 a set from Velocity Systems. You wear those in conjunction behind the ceramic armor for increased ballistic protection.

TL;DR:
My suggestion is the JPC with "level IV" ceramic plates and soft armor backing.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 3:05:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The JPC is great. Have personally worn it and did not really mind the lack of padding. The minimalist design helps keep weight down and encourages a slimmed-down, "essentials only" load. I would suggest the AVS if you plan on carrying more shit, as its a cross between the JPC and the bulkier Crye vest (can't remember it's name). The AVS is my favorite vest but to purchase all the componants can be pricey. A gen 4 IOTV is also good IMO, not sure how available they are.

I have never actually purchased plates but $500 PER plate seems unreasonable, but I may be totally wrong. I know you can get MBAV cut soft armor backing (compatable with the AVS) for $304 a set from Velocity Systems. You wear those in conjunction behind the ceramic armor for increased ballistic protection.

TL;DR:
My suggestion is the JPC with "level IV" ceramic plates and soft armor backing.
View Quote
What he said^^

Keep it light, streamlined. Personally I hate the gen 4 iotv. Highcom security offers stand alone lvl 4 plates front and back for $360. Im pretty sure theres a AR15.com discount code too that brings the price down quite a bit as well.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 4:20:31 PM EDT
[#9]
At 6 ft 4, you were probably an XL.    Sit down and measure you from your belly button to suprasternal notch - the V notch below your throat
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 8:14:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
At 6 ft 4, you were probably an XL.    Sit down and measure you from your belly button to suprasternal notch - the V notch below your throat
View Quote
where do you find the chart with measurements/plate sizes?
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 8:32:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Make this easy on yourself, don't try guessing your size. Seriously.

What I did was I found the plates I wanted and drew up a mock up of the plate on a piece of cardboard according to the dimensions of the plate and cut it out. Now you have something to actually feel and put up to your chest. If you don't have a way to hold it up to test arm movement and such, just take a belt and wrap it around your chest with your cardboard plate until the "plate" doesn't fall. You can now freely test for mobility.

Granted, that method isn't perfectly exact but it'll give you a much better idea of what you can wear comfortably than just trying to imagine it in your head or using some chart. 
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 11:09:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
How long do you realistically think you'll wear them?  What do you realistically think you'll be doing?

A lot of guys fall into the Rambo trap. I did too. Then I thought about it. I, personally, bought mine for SHTF. Trsiningvtoo of course.

So what will *I* be doing during SHTF?  Miles and mikes of walking?  No. Kicking doors?  No.

Now weight sucks, but I'll be hanging out around the house so a little extra weight won't be as bad.

So I feel the extra protection is worth it.

As far as cost lvl 4 plates can be had for around $160 a piece. Maybe a tad more for the larger size you want. I'm 6'9 and have a gen 1 banshee and 10 x 12 plates.

Remember, if you're thinking SHTF there are A LOT of large caliber bolt actions and rifles out there. Every billy bob joe has one. And they all have scopes and a small percentage of them can shoot.

But what you might run into and do during SHTF might be different than me.

Also, let me just stop you right now. Just stop. . Don't look up "operater" load outs and think you need 100 pounds of shit too. You'll just end up spending lots and taking it off anyway.

Get mag pouches, Tiny dump pouch, ifak, and maybe hydratiand call it a day for the PC. Hang shit off your belt if you want. Hips can carry a lot more weight than yourback.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 8:33:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Highcom

Level IV multi-curve shooters cut, plus there is a 20% code linked at the top of this page under "Site Notices". As has been discussed in other threads, you can have affordable, or you can have lightweight, but you can't have both.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 9:07:41 AM EDT
[#14]
You want SAPI L so don't get the 10x12 carriers like Banshee, etc. Nor a fits all like a Mayflower or PIG. Get Crye 1.0 which fits the SAPI perfect and is lighter, plus not crazy expensive.

If you get a Crye I suggest a standalone plate with rear padding and spending the money for a lighter plate.

Get a Hesco 3+ Multicurve SAPI L, the 3610 if you want name brand NIJ certified stuff.

They are not cheap. $400 is easy to find, just under on sale can also be found for SAPI L.

Want a non NIJ certified plate that stops same threats but is not quite as well built? Armorwear 3+ SAPI L multicurved with they nylon skin, not the carbon fiber look skin. Currently  $289 a plate. It's .1" to .2" thinner, .2 pounds less weight. People hate this company but that one plate is a good one. Lots of crap from them otherwise.

The non NIJ certified plate has no padding on edges or face so won't meet the current rough handling criteria. Also, the way it is bonded to the ceramic strike face, the ceramic itself, etc. Is just ever so slightly inferior. But very close if you don't need NIJ certified stuff for armor bought with a police grant.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 9:16:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
We have seveal of those plates purchased by officers in my PD. Not a fan of the fake carbon fiber skinning on those. Armorwear makes those for bulletproofme.com, so look for the traditional nylon skinned versions instead. Also 10x12 is WAY TOO SHORT. I'm 6'2" and wear SAPI L. At 6'4" 10x12 will look like a baby bib.

Those vinyl wrapped plates sold at a big discount at armorwear.com recently. I have a set. They are fine but they don't hold together as well as traditional nylon skinned plates when shot, so you need a tight close fitting plate bag to hold the ceramic in place after impact so they work as I intended. It also looks sloppy on the curves which is aesthetic.

On the plus side my JPC 1.0 and level III+ is super comfortable. The only rounds that can get through are the .308 version of the lead free M855A1 bullet or 30.06 M2 AP. Neither of which have I seen in the wild in my LE career.

Armorwear level IV are just thicker Alumina ceramic on the strike face and instead of a UHMWPE and Kevlar laminated backer, it's fiberglass, which is just under Kevlar in strength so weight is considerably more. 5 pounds a plate is WAY lighter than 7 to 10 pounds per plate in use.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 5:27:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Lots of great ( and overwhelming ) info here, thanks all and OP for starting this topic as I'm in the same boat and like to get a carrier and plates for shtf/HD ..mostly will be static and holding down my position etc. I won't be hiking miles and go door kicking.

What about ar500 plates and carriers, their P R and videos seem decent but I'm totally new and would like to get a rig where I can carry a pistol on the front, along with pistol and rifle mags (like the ar500 WARRIOR DCS carrier)so I can grab the carrier and go at a moments notice.

As for threat level I would like to be protected up to III+ stopping majority of 5.56 rounds, anything harder hitting I figure I should be hiding or running away as stated above
:-)

As for price I don't mind buying something once and crying once as long as it's comfortable, durable, and long lasting. This set up would only be used in high threat shtf scenarios so won't be worn much, just something to have in case..

Thanks for everyone's help in advance.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 11:08:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Lots of great ( and overwhelming ) info here, thanks all and OP for starting this topic as I'm in the same boat and like to get a carrier and plates for shtf/HD ..mostly will be static and holding down my position etc. I won't be hiking miles and go door kicking.

What about ar500 plates and carriers, their P R and videos seem decent but I'm totally new and would like to get a rig where I can carry a pistol on the front, along with pistol and rifle mags (like the ar500 WARRIOR DCS carrier)so I can grab the carrier and go at a moments notice.

As for threat level I would like to be protected up to III+ stopping majority of 5.56 rounds, anything harder hitting I figure I should be hiding or running away as stated above

As for price I don't mind buying something once and crying once as long as it's comfortable, durable, and long lasting. This set up would only be used in high threat shtf scenarios so won't be worn much, just something to have in case..

View Quote
Personally I wouldn't buy steel. I've bought from Highcom before and they were great (ESAPI cut for my AVS). Stick to the reputable ceramic manufacturers/dealers like Velocity, Ceradyne, Highcom, Bulletproofme, etc.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:47:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
The only thing I'd buy from ar500armor is the lvl 4 ceramics which I did.  Yeah they are a tad cheaper but I've seen them stop a lot more than they are rated for so I'm confident in them.

I wouldn't bother with steal. Ceramics are just better imo and not tgst much more. Some can be heavy but even if you "only" save 1 pound per plate that's 2 pounds. Doesn't sound like much but it is. That's two extra 30 round mags. Or more water. Or a ton of other things.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 2:44:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks gentlemen for the very soundful advice
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 7:48:15 PM EDT
[#20]
decided im going with the JPC 1.0 in size L

thanks for the advice guys!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top