Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2017 1:44:08 PM EDT
I grabbed a set cheap and I'm wondering if anyone here has used them and what they think of them? Is it possible to rig a cell phone to play through (to listen to music/book on tape while at the range)?

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 5:30:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 6:09:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Got Em. They work. I don't think there's a way to rig cell phone comms through the QP.

I like them, I don't like the mount system all that much to be honest (RTI Attachment point).
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:32:47 PM EDT
[#3]
i have been using it for a while.  there are quite a few different adapters for it to use radios.  i think if one know how to rig up a 3.5mm jack to one of the adapters it might work.  it would be just like a wired mic. i bet it might even be possible to do bluetooth on it.  since most of them use the motorola plug i bet there are some wiring diagrams on the web on which wire is which.  if you do it and find it works let me know

as to the set i have found it very durable.  the ear buds are crappy. they tell you to roll and squeeze them to get into your ear. i have found that this just kills the adhesive they use. i have found it better to just find the size that works by just inserting them with a little spit to lube them.  they will slip right in and seal just fine. if the foam does separate from the stem just use contact cement and reglue it.  

get a wheel and use a bladetech tech lok and screw it into the tech lock. then you can put it on any belt and still have quick on/off.   the units have some down quite a bit since i bought mine.  i have  a spare just in case .  i have found for normal situation i never have to go higher than 1 or 2 on the volume. any more than that it picks up anything and everything.  its great in the hot weather . i no longer have a bunch of water in my muffs when its hot.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 4:31:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Got Em. They work. I don't think there's a way to rig cell phone comms through the QP.

I like them, I don't like the mount system all that much to be honest (RTI Attachment point).
View Quote
How does it sound compared to your Clarus Pro?
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 4:48:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a set, I was recently curious if they could be rigged to a beofeng... where there's a will, there's a way... just have to figure out the wiring. might cut up one of my extra cords later this week and play around with it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 7:14:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Where you guys picking these up? Noise-canceling ear plugs would be a huge improvement out here. Wearing earmuffs in warm weather is a terrible experience.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 7:32:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Okay. I cut up an old 3.5mm jack and started poking around. The red and white wires touching A and B played pandora via my cell phone through the ear buds in mono. It should also be noted the volume wasn't loud and bass was horrible. To change that you might need to download and run a volume enhancer and equalizer app to get it loud enough... it should also be noted that I have a good amount of hearing loss so results may vary.

Later I will do this somewhat in reverse to find the microphone. I'll plug it into my microphone jack of computer, put the QP on OMIC or VOX, talk or play music while touching the wires around and see where the computer pics up sound.

Link Posted: 8/7/2017 8:19:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Thsee are the connections on the Motorola side for audio.

One think I am curious of is if all QP are the same, and the difference between the dual comm and single is just the cable. There are 10 prongs in the comm inputs, 6 on the Motorola connector.

Does anyone have a dual comm QP?

Link Posted: 8/7/2017 9:29:52 PM EDT
[#10]
i dug this up on the net.

Link Posted: 8/8/2017 9:07:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I honestly think it's better. Note that I haven't had a chance to go shooting with the QP yet. The Clarus (honestly, most electronic hearpro) seems to boost higher pitched sounds too much relative to the QP, IMHO.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 9:08:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Where you guys picking these up? Noise-canceling ear plugs would be a huge improvement out here. Wearing earmuffs in warm weather is a terrible experience.
View Quote
FleaBay.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 9:10:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Thsee are the connections on the Motorola side for audio.

One think I am curious of is if all QP are the same, and the difference between the dual comm and single is just the cable. There are 10 prongs in the comm inputs, 6 on the Motorola connector.

Does anyone have a dual comm QP?

http://i.imgur.com/Bl4h4oU.jpg
View Quote
Figure out how to rig it and I'll send you my cable and some cash to convert it. I usually only listen to audiobooks while I mow, wait on the stand, or at the range anyways.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 10:40:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Figure out how to rig it and I'll send you my cable and some cash to convert it. I usually only listen to audiobooks while I mow, wait on the stand, or at the range anyways.
View Quote
Honestly, it would be pretty easy to rig the sound up... and cheaper to just got to radio shack and buy a soldering iron kit. I just have to figure out which one is for the microphone and ground, then it can be used for other things as well.

Some scissors and a soldering iron is all it will take... started watching Ozark so maybe this week some time I will push out more info.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 4:54:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Honestly, it would be pretty easy to rig the sound up... and cheaper to just got to radio shack and buy a soldering iron kit. I just have to figure out which one is for the microphone and ground, then it can be used for other things as well.

Some scissors and a soldering iron is all it will take... started watching Ozark so maybe this week some time I will push out more info.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks. You'll have to tell me how to do it as if I'm a 7 yr old.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 8:06:22 PM EDT
[#16]
So it seems like brown and yellow are the speaker wires

Link Posted: 8/9/2017 8:44:47 PM EDT
[#17]
I tried poking some wires around looking for the mic, no joy.

I will commit here soon and cut the Motorola connector off.

Will be able to confirm wire colors then
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 8:58:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

get a wheel and use a bladetech tech lok and screw it into the tech lock. then you can put it on any belt and still have quick on/off.  
View Quote
Just saw this. I'll be buying this and trying it out. Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 9:02:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I tried poking some wires around looking for the mic, no joy.

I will commit here soon and cut the Motorola connector off.

Will be able to confirm wire colors then
View Quote
If you get bored enough, do a "how to" video or photo thread.

I mean, if you want to.

FWIW, I think the other little connection on the box is the mic conex.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 9:52:11 PM EDT
[#20]
So... don't try to cut the Motorola end off.

There's some resistors and shit that make it all work plus extra unused wires. Will take some more time figuring out.

My original goal was to hook this up to a baofeng, but there's one issue. The QP looks like it is designed not to send sound, but to actually activate the Motorola transmit and send sound at the same time. I just have to figure out how to separat it... or just get the right wire combination.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 5:59:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
So... don't try to cut the Motorola end off.

There's some resistors and shit that make it all work plus extra unused wires. Will take some more time figuring out.

My original goal was to hook this up to a baofeng, but there's one issue. The QP looks like it is designed not to send sound, but to actually activate the Motorola transmit and send sound at the same time. I just have to figure out how to separat it... or just get the right wire combination.
View Quote
Can you measure the resistance accross the Moto connector and then install a new one in line with the same resistance?
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 8:27:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 8:46:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Raf, what did you end up getting to replace the QP?
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 9:05:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 11:13:17 PM EDT
[#25]
been using them for almost a year now ( I'm an 11B) been to jrtc and other field events no deployments, but ive worn them for a good amount of time. They are definitely on par with the sound quality as the muffs, and definitely a lot cooler being just in ear. My cons with them is the wire maybe I just haven't gotten it quite right but with full kit and using bags and slings it catches on things and middle of a lane etc, it sucks to have one ear pulled out and then they are beeping like crazy for not having the seal. they actually are comfortable besides basically touching your brain. The actual comms box or receiver whatever its called is built like a tank, just doesn't have much for mounting options besides the rti wheel, which I avoid and just zip tie it or pocket etc. just my two cents from an illiterate grunt so take it with a grain of salt I do like them, definitely easier to have the peltors with dealing with our radios though, (mbitr/154) and finding replacement tips is a pain.

-murph
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 2:43:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
been using them for almost a year now ( I'm an 11B) been to jrtc and other field events no deployments, but ive worn them for a good amount of time. They are definitely on par with the sound quality as the muffs, and definitely a lot cooler being just in ear. My cons with them is the wire maybe I just haven't gotten it quite right but with full kit and using bags and slings it catches on things and middle of a lane etc, it sucks to have one ear pulled out and then they are beeping like crazy for not having the seal. they actually are comfortable besides basically touching your brain. The actual comms box or receiver whatever its called is built like a tank, just doesn't have much for mounting options besides the rti wheel, which I avoid and just zip tie it or pocket etc. just my two cents from an illiterate grunt so take it with a grain of salt I do like them, definitely easier to have the peltors with dealing with our radios though, (mbitr/154) and finding replacement tips is a pain.

-murph
View Quote
Thanks for chiming in.  

I find OTE headphones to be too hot for my liking (I'm just north of Houston). I also have a set of Clarus Pros, but it looks like I'll have to return those as well. The cable is shorting out again. Sucks, because I really like the idea behind the CP.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 3:48:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Murph: Much appreciated. I think these would work great for my application.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 10:51:04 PM EDT
[#28]
definitely great for just one way ranges I usually put the box in my back pocket and route the cable up my shirt.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 10:46:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
definitely great for just one way ranges I usually put the box in my back pocket and route the cable up my shirt.
View Quote
That's my plan for now.

I will buy another one to ride on my chest rig/plate carrier soon. I'll route the cables inside and zip tie them down snugly.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 6:16:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 11:59:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Perhaps behind-the-head earphones?  I bought a pretty decent set of electronic Peltors from local surplus store, and I was surprised at how much I liked them for range use.   No interference with headgear, and no heat build-up are the virtues of this sort of rig.  Dunno how well they would hold seal under extremely violent head movement, but I think they're very comfortable for simple range use, and would likely be OK for most moving-type matches, as long as one does not somersault much. 

ETA:  Sorry; thought you wrote "OTH" instead of "OTE".  Still, with BTH headphones, you'll be able to wear a decent sun- and heat-resistant hat, so maybe the BTH earphones might be worth a try.  In any event, upgrade to gel ear cups. The difference is well worth the price, and I've done the change on a number of different makes of headphones.  A vast improvement on all of them, and better sound-deadening as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

-murph
Thanks for chiming in.  

I find OTE headphones to be too hot for my liking (I'm just north of Houston). I also have a set of Clarus Pros, but it looks like I'll have to return those as well. The cable is shorting out again. Sucks, because I really like the idea behind the CP.
Perhaps behind-the-head earphones?  I bought a pretty decent set of electronic Peltors from local surplus store, and I was surprised at how much I liked them for range use.   No interference with headgear, and no heat build-up are the virtues of this sort of rig.  Dunno how well they would hold seal under extremely violent head movement, but I think they're very comfortable for simple range use, and would likely be OK for most moving-type matches, as long as one does not somersault much. 

ETA:  Sorry; thought you wrote "OTH" instead of "OTE".  Still, with BTH headphones, you'll be able to wear a decent sun- and heat-resistant hat, so maybe the BTH earphones might be worth a try.  In any event, upgrade to gel ear cups. The difference is well worth the price, and I've done the change on a number of different makes of headphones.  A vast improvement on all of them, and better sound-deadening as well.
@raf
I have some Peltor 6S that I'll trade you straight up for your set of QP.

ETA: this was a joke. My apologies that I didn't make it clear enough.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 2:03:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 7:18:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Thanks for the offer, but I already have that exact model of Peltor.  FYI, no offers to sell/buy/trade anywhere except EE.  Or you could use IM instead.  Thanks anyway.
View Quote
Sorry, maybe the sarcasm (Peltors are quite a bit more expensive than what I paid for my QPs) didn't come through?

It wasn't a serious offer. Sort of a "l'll trade you my PSA 10.5" pistol for your SCAR16s" type post.

Next time I'll PM it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 7:22:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:19:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
i have been using it for a while.  there are quite a few different adapters for it to use radios.  i think if one know how to rig up a 3.5mm jack to one of the adapters it might work.  it would be just like a wired mic. i bet it might even be possible to do bluetooth on it.  since most of them use the motorola plug i bet there are some wiring diagrams on the web on which wire is which.  if you do it and find it works let me know

as to the set i have found it very durable.  the ear buds are crappy. they tell you to roll and squeeze them to get into your ear. i have found that this just kills the adhesive they use. i have found it better to just find the size that works by just inserting them with a little spit to lube them.  they will slip right in and seal just fine. if the foam does separate from the stem just use contact cement and reglue it.  

get a wheel and use a bladetech tech lok and screw it into the tech lock. then you can put it on any belt and still have quick on/off.   the units have some down quite a bit since i bought mine.  i have  a spare just in case .  i have found for normal situation i never have to go higher than 1 or 2 on the volume. any more than that it picks up anything and everything.  its great in the hot weather . i no longer have a bunch of water in my muffs when its hot.
View Quote
@Wash-Ar15

I cannot figure out how to get the holes on the RTI wheel and Tek-Lok to line up.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 1:47:07 AM EDT
[#36]
pics are best

Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:00:35 AM EDT
[#37]
Yeah, i never considered doing that. I'll give it a try. I was just going to use a sheet of kydex and mount it to the wheel and then mount that to the Tek Lok clip. This will work until I get the other part figured out.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:05:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Any of you 'Lectric/Comms guys made any progress on rigging an adapter for a smart phone?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:28:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Yeah, i never considered doing that. I'll give it a try. I was just going to use a sheet of kydex and mount it to the wheel and then mount that to the Tek Lok clip. This will work until I get the other part figured out.

Thanks.
View Quote
the direction  of the middle screw will depend on if you have a the plastic rear or metal rear on your device.  one of them , which one i forget, rides closer to the wheel .
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 3:42:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
the direction  of the middle screw will depend on if you have a the plastic rear or metal rear on your device.  one of them , which one i forget, rides closer to the wheel .
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.
Because of the built in bracket it had plenty of space no matter which way it was turned.

Thanks for the info. It worked beautifully.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 2:57:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Are QuietPros sound canceling or are they earplugs with a comms interface? Just wondering, Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 7:35:59 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 2:46:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Are QuietPros sound canceling or are they earplugs with a comms interface? Just wondering, Thanks.
View Quote
They cancel high intensity sound. They increase normal intensity sound (and you can control this or even shut it off). They have a comms interface.

Nice unit. Funky mount interface. The method shown above with the TekLok belt clip works fine
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top