Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2017 9:28:43 PM EDT
I want to add comms to my PC, My local Fire Department is selling there old Radios and I was thinking about buying one, But I have no idea if there good for what I need/what.
Any help would be great!

The radio is a Motorola ht1250 with the mic piece for $200

ok Questions:

1. Is that a good radio?
2. Would it work well in SHTF?
3. As far as need go I don't really know?....what would you say is average?
4. my area of OP is flat country land surrounded by mountains
5. What do I need to do to legally have comms?

Thanks again, I know this topic has been beaten to death but I would greatly appreciate the help 
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:41:15 PM EDT
[#1]
That is a mid-grade public safety radio that's been around a while, I am not sure if Mother Moto still supports it. They are not bad from my limited experience; an agency I worked for had them as radios for second-line emergency response (ie civil defense, public school evacuations, etc) and we used them when we did exercises with those entities.

The cost seems outrageous to me compared to what some dealers will sell you a refurbished radio with an in-house warranty for.

Well, some questions to start off...

Who do you intend to communicate with and what frequencies to they use? (You can keep this to yourself if you want).

Are you covered by any license at all?

Do you know someone with the software to program those? To repair them?

Always assume used radios will need new batteries immediately. And most aftermarket batteries for Moto radios suck (the major exceptions I have found are Multiplier and WW brands). Are you financially prepared to purchase OEM batteries and a quality charger?
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:50:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That is a mid-grade public safety radio that's been around a while, I am not sure if Mother Moto still supports it. They are not bad from my limited experience; an agency I worked for had them as radios for second-line emergency response (ie civil defense, public school evacuations, etc) and we used them when we did exercises with those entities.

The cost seems outrageous to me compared to what some dealers will sell you a refurbished radio with an in-house warranty for.

Well, some questions to start off...

Who do you intend to communicate with and what frequencies to they use? (You can keep this to yourself if you want).

Are you covered by any license at all?

Do you know someone with the software to program those? To repair them?

Always assume used radios will need new batteries immediately. And most aftermarket batteries for Moto radios suck (the major exceptions I have found are Multiplier and WW brands). Are you financially prepared to purchase OEM batteries and a quality charger?
View Quote
Well I have a few friends I could communicate with (if they decide to get into comms)
As for frequencies I have no idea what I can use/not use, I'm really brand new to this 

For software and & repair I have a guy 

And what would a new battery cost? 
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 10:24:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

As for frequencies I have no idea what I can use/not use, I'm really brand new to this 
View Quote
The above coupled with the fact the radio likely cannot be used legally without and FCC licence of some sort makes me recommend you pass.

And that's before going into all the BS of trying to repurpose old big /\/\ fleet radios. 
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 10:32:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The above coupled with the fact the radio likely cannot be used legally without and FCC licence of some sort makes me recommend you pass.

And that's before going into all the BS of trying to repurpose old big /\/\ fleet radios.
View Quote
OK thanks for the help guys, I'm reading a little bit in the HAM section of the site but could you like me some materials to learn about this stuff please
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 11:58:23 AM EDT
[#5]
If you have a guy who can handle programming these (and they all need programming, these aren't CBs) then that should be your first stop.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 12:45:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
OK thanks for the help guys, I'm reading a little bit in the HAM section of the site but could you like me some materials to learn about this stuff please
View Quote
Here.

Radio Comms: A Basic Primer - By SpanishInquisition (Hey, that's me!)
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 4:30:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I will try to answer some of your questions...

The HT1250 is absolutely a good radio - personally I am very fond of the HT1250 LS+.  
It is a very capable radio and reasonably durable.
It is still supported by MOTOROLA.
To get one radio is no good unless you have other people with radios to talk to.
Is this radio VHF or UHF?  What band is being used by your buddies?  The HT1250 is NOT a dual band radio - it is either built and operates on either VHF or UHF, but not both.
It is analog only, not digital.

Without a repeater, it will be simplex / line of sight only.
I am not encouraging you to violate any laws, but you will need an FCC license for some itinerate or local frequencies.
The radio is capable or operation on GMRS / FRS.  It is NOT capable of working on HAM frequencies.

For value - $200 is not bad depending on condition.  The speaker mic alone is worth about $60-70.
The weak link will be the battery, it has a life span....so many charge cycles, but it can easily be replaced.

Just as a side note - I still use the HT1250s pappy, the HT750.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top