Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/17/2017 2:24:05 PM EDT
I thought I'd do a quick comparison of three M43-style camo caps that I own. Introduced in 1943 as an amalgamation of the best features of the M40 tropical cap and the Bergmütze issued to mountain troops, the wool M43 cap was smart and practical. It wasn't long before German troops began wearing tailor-made camouflage versions of the M43.

1. SS oakleaf reversible cap made by At the Front. Despite being double-sided, the cotton fabric is fairly thin. The summer side has already faded somewhat after a few months' worth of hiking in the spring and early summer.
2. Splittertarn cap cut from a wartime Swiss Zeltbahn. I think it's a one-off custom job, but whoever sewed this did some quality work.
3. Pencott Greenzone made by "slangvel". After reading rave reviews of his hats from others on this forum, I decided I needed one for myself. His products aren't cheap, but I was blown away by the quality of his product. The fact that he is a disabled vet and makes all of his products by hand means that your money is going to a good place. Unlike the other caps, this one is made of a cordura material. While it keeps the rain and wind off your head better than the cotton caps, I've found it also traps sweat and moisture easier.

L to R: ATF SS summer, ATF SS fall, splinter, Pencott Greenzone. I tried my hand with Pencott just for looks, but I was amazed at how well it blends in with my local environment. This stuff works.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 2:24:48 PM EDT
[#1]

Left side. The SS cap has the lowest profile of the three, with the splinter camo cap having the tallest. Both the splinter and the Pencott caps retain an additional layer of reinforcing fabric where the brim meets the rest of the cap. On issue M43 caps, the wool earflaps folded down to protect the wearer from howling winds and snow on the Russian steppes, but here they exist solely as a stylistic touch.

Rear. A quick way to differentiate Swiss from German splinter camo is the green polygons are connected by narrow lines on the Swiss pattern.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 2:25:29 PM EDT
[#2]

Closeup of the brims. The SS cap has some sort of stiffener in the brim that feels kinda like cardstock. The splinter cap has no stiffener and has the floppiest brim of the lot. The slangvel cap has 4 semicircular stitch lines that stiffen the brim.

Inside the liner. The SS cap has no special lining because it reverses to the autumn side. The splinter camo cap has a simple OD cloth lining. The slangvel cap has a gray cloth sweatband.

Over the past months, I've used all three caps while hiking, shooting, hunting, and even doing yard work. For a solid all-around outdoors cap, I find much to recommend.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 6:39:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the comparison!

While I have little use for that type of cap, I think it's functional and looks great. My buddy has First Spear's take on the M43 cap, which has some very nice features and is very well-made.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 7:03:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 1:02:54 AM EDT
[#5]
I ran across the First Spear M43ish cap a while back, glad to see modern firms adapting and repurposing vintage designs. It looks like a solid piece of kit. What's old is new again, I guess.

The same hole-in-the-wall antique shop where I snagged the repro splinter M43 had an old cardboard box stuffed with NOS CCC winter caps. All of them were absolutely immaculate, with tags and everything. They appeared as if some CCC quartermaster tucked away the box, forgot about them for 70+ years, and reopened it yesterday. The seller had tagged the CCC caps at firesale prices but couldn't move the inventory because his customers presumably didn't know what they were. I would've picked up a few for myself, except all of them were much too small for my large (7 3/4) head. Sad!
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 7:05:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:57:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Great review and pics - thanks for sharing.

If you get a chance you might like the following M43 caps:

+ German BGS (West German Border Guard) Sumpfmuster
+ Austrian Kampfanzug 59 (aka "K" or "Pea Dot")

Sumpfmuster and Austrian Pea Dot are surprisingly effective patterns.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:59:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Found this through a google search...

Kampfanzug 59 M43

BGS M43
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 11:05:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The First Spear Forager Cap is a nice summer-weight cap, and I wear it daily.  It has an unusual feature in that the stiff visor has a split down the middle, making stowage of the doffed hat easy enough, even the back pocket of a pair of jeans.  If you remove your hat when indoors, as I do, this helps one to not lose the hat.  The cap is a good value, but it's price tag makes it something I'd hate to lose. 
View Quote
I like the First Spear hat.  I might need to pick one up.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 5:28:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 2:43:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Despite going on the First Spear website, eyeing the forager cap, and glancing furtively at my credit card before ultimately deciding to close the tab, I never noticed the purpose-built crease in the visor. One thing I have always appreciated about FS gear is that their designs are very well thought out. Including a crease in the visor so you can fold the cap and stuff it in your pocket tells me that the designer of the cap has given his product some serious thought.

The splinter and Pencott caps are constructed in such a way that you can easily fold them lengthwise and stuff them into your pocket with no compromise to the shape or structure. This comes as no surprise, as the M43 Feldmütze is really just a M34 Schiffchen (sidecap) with a visor stuck on the front. This handy design feature would let you switch between a helmet and the field cap depending on the situation.

As for the CCC caps, I wonder where they derived the design from. Maybe it was captured Bergmütze brought home by Doughboys from the Italian Front during WWI? Anyways, here are the original specs, if you are interested.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top