Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/17/2017 4:58:27 AM EDT
Looking at a set of Comtac III hearing defenders to attach to my helmet for the obvious hearing protection, but having a hard time finding out if comms are something that can be adding to the hearing defenders or not. I don't need comms very often at all, so I don't really need a $600 set of earpro for the once in a blue moon I want to connect to a radio, but it would be nice if I could hook a radio to it for listening purposes if need be. I can do this with a $50 set of Howard Leight muffs, so it seems odd if I couldn't hook up to the hearing defenders like that, but i'm not seeing it anywhere and can't find a manual online anywhere.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 6:39:20 AM EDT
[#1]
This may be what you seek

Patch cable
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 9:41:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, you can pick up a mic and PTT separately and get comms. SRS Tactical is the way to go if you want to go down that route (and they will help you get exactly what you're looking for).
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 10:54:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Appreciate it. Figured it would take more than a $30 cable to get it done. Now that i've seen the connectors on the back where the Mic plugs in and I presume the audio input plugs in as well, it makes a lot more sense. Though I guess I still don't see how without the downlead cable on the comm headsets, how you can hook it up to a mic and a PTT/Radio. Connector on one ear for the mic, the other ear's for the PTT I guess?
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 9:46:24 AM EDT
[#4]
SRS Tactical has a little 1" box with a lead to a mic and another to the ear, plus a downlead. It's over $100 and I broke the mic clip on pretty fast and it comes disconnected rather easily. The cheaper headsets have just a standard 3.5mm jack which unplug itself so easily you can do it by just turning your head sometimes. The downlrad and wiring on a Comtac III that is hard wired is light years more durable and does not end up breaking the mic mount or coming unplugged.

A better idea is a waterproof shoulder mic with that 3.5mm patch cable. That double plug on the headset does not unplug easily and you don't have to buy an impedance matching push to talk to get the military mic to work with a civilian radio. Only difference is you talk into the shoulder mic as you use it like a PTT.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 10:53:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Also, be advised that Peltor makes an electret microphone for the Comtac IIIs which makes the impedance issues less of a headache. Part number MT53N-12.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top