Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/9/2017 3:24:07 AM EDT
So I've been looking for some new work boots as an EMT, and while I love my Danner Acadias, I miss having a side zip and something much lighter. As I was googling, I stumbled across these. I loved my original Moabs and wore them until they fell apart. Anyone here tried them yet?
Merrell Tactical
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 3:34:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Merrell's quality these days is down theirs with Blackhawk and NCstar.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 3:38:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Hmmm, that's disconcerting. I hope it's not true. I was already planning on buying a pair of the new regular Moab 2s to replace my old ones.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 10:05:28 AM EDT
[#3]
I went through 3 pairs of moabs quickly just in casual wear.  Toes kept separating.  Also had another pair of more expensive Merrells come apart.  Keen is no different after going through two pairs.  They just fail in different ways.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 11:40:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hmmm, that's disconcerting. I hope it's not true. I was already planning on buying a pair of the new regular Moab 2s to replace my old ones.
View Quote
no idea what happened! since 2014 or so, they've been hot garbage and fall apart. I will give them credit though: their running shoes are outstanding
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 12:01:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Check out Salomons, I've never been disappointed with thier any of thier products. I've had some issues with Merrills.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 12:24:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Check out Salomons, I've never been disappointed with thier any of thier products. I've had some issues with Merrills.
View Quote
x2

And I know they make all theirs in plain black. You're paying for quality with Salomons, and you see exactly where your money went when you put em on. I've been stunned at how durable my 4D's have been
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 12:59:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Salomons are too narrow for my feet. I was looking at the Lowa Renegade, but again I miss having the option of having a zipper like I did on the Bates I used to wear before I learned about Danners.

I started looking at the Danner Strikers and the 5.11 ATACS, but didn't like how either felt. Then I thought about Danners new Lookout boot, but the reviews aren't good. I have a pair of Belleville 700s and like em, so I tried out their Tactical Research line....nope. Right now the top contender is the Under Armor Valsatz.

Any other suggestions?
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 1:01:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Salomons are too narrow for my feet. I was looking at the Lowa Renegade, but again I miss having the option of having a zipper like I did on the Bates I used to wear before I learned about Danners.

I started looking at the Danner Strikers and the 5.11 ATACS, but didn't like how either felt. Then I thought about Danners new Lookout boot, but the reviews aren't good. I have a pair of Belleville 700s and like em, so I tried out their Tactical Research line....nope. Right now the top contender is the Under Armor Valsatz.

Any other suggestions?
View Quote
Valsetz isn't that impressive to me.  Just tried some on this week and ended up going back to ATACs.   Adidas boots are very very comfortable but don't have side zip.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 1:04:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I went through 3 pairs of moabs quickly just in casual wear.  Toes kept separating.  Also had another pair of more expensive Merrells come apart.  Keen is no different after going through two pairs.  They just fail in different ways.
View Quote
Wow, I guess YMMV because I had one pair that lasted me from 2012 to up until a couple years ago. Wore em hiking, fishing, yard work and just tons of casual wear. Ultimately the heel tore out so much the heel cup was cutting into my Achilles tendon, but the tread and stiching were still G2G.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 1:54:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Wow, I guess YMMV because I had one pair that lasted me from 2012 to up until a couple years ago. Wore em hiking, fishing, yard work and just tons of casual wear. Ultimately the heel tore out so much the heel cup was cutting into my Achilles tendon, but the tread and stiching were still G2G.
View Quote
i have a pair of Chameleons I got in 2011 that are STILL good to go. Everything I bought since then has been noticing very cheaply made.
If you want a wide toe box, skip Asolo, and check out Keen.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 4:04:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
same here only i gave up sooner.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 4:07:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
x2

And I know they make all theirs in plain black. You're paying for quality with Salomons, and you see exactly where your money went when you put em on. I've been stunned at how durable my 4D's have been
View Quote
i melted where the toe rubber is vulcanized to the sole on the front of my 4d. That was 2 years ago and they are still going strong and tge most comfortable boots i own.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 6:21:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Soles completely seperated on mine in pretty short order and not very rough wear.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 10:20:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
i have a pair of Chameleons I got in 2011 that are STILL good to go. Everything I bought since then has been noticing very cheaply made.
If you want a wide toe box, skip Asolo, and check out Keen.
View Quote
I'll keep that in mind, but Keen doesn't make duty boots that I know of.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 1:03:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Soles completely seperated on mine in pretty short order and not very rough wear.
View Quote
On Merrill or Salomon?
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 9:59:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Shame to hear that Merrell's quality has taken a shit. I have a pair of old Sawtooths that I've been rocking for 4 years and I love them, still going strong. I also have a pair of Salomon Quest 2 4D GTXs that I love to death. Honestly I would say that all of my serious footwear would be from Salomon if I could stomach the prices.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 12:35:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 6:43:36 PM EDT
[#18]
As others have said, quality is lacking.

Salomon just came out with some nice wolf gray boots but they don't have a side zip. Not sure if they are offered on Experticity / Promotive yet.

I had some Bates boots back in the day with a size zip. They were very nice. Nike SFB would be my pick if you don't need Goretex or a zipper.

Link Posted: 7/12/2017 4:38:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Any other suggestions?
View Quote
Now on my second pair of Garmont's in about two years. Rugged, high durability for the weight and I find extraordinarily supportive. They feel like an almost custom boot - they felt as good as a heat-shaped insole in both pairs i tried on the first time.

They are not the most high speed looking but you will find the solid European design integration on the inside.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 8:43:20 AM EDT
[#20]
I love my Lowa's.  Zephyr GTX are super comfortable and last.  I wore mine everyday for 2 years before wearing a hole in them.  They don't have a zipper but are the best.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 7:51:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Valsetz isn't that impressive to me..
View Quote
Ill reiterate here a little, Valsetz are fucking garbage.  Thankfully they come with a lifetime replacement warranty, because every 3-4 months youll need it.  Soles are very soft, and break down long before the upper half of the boot shows any wear.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 12:30:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Ill reiterate here a little, Valsetz are fucking garbage.  Thankfully they come with a lifetime replacement warranty, because every 3-4 months youll need it.  Soles are very soft, and break down long before the upper half of the boot shows any wear.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Valsetz isn't that impressive to me..
Ok, guess I'll be sticking with my Danners
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:59:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

same here only i gave up sooner.
View Quote
one was a free one time replacement.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:59:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
I would have bought a pair had I known they'd stand behind em.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 10:00:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I'll keep that in mind, but Keen doesn't make duty boots that I know of.
View Quote
The heel on my Keen Detroit Mids just came apart.  They were the closest they ever made to duty boots.  Mine lasted over a year.  I am sad.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 9:52:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I love my Lowa's.  Zephyr GTX are super comfortable and last.  I wore mine everyday for 2 years before wearing a hole in them.  They don't have a zipper but are the best.
View Quote
This.

Salomons and Lowas are the only duty boots I wear anymore.

Wish salomon would come out with an 8" or 10" 4D & 3D and I wish Lowa would make the Z11 (11" boot) in black

I prefer an 8-10" duty boot.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 10:40:51 PM EDT
[#27]
The Merrell's of 10 years ago are not the Merrells of today.  My last pair of their hiking boots started going to shit within a month.  First it was the pull tabs on the back of the shoe.  They ripped off with hardly any pressure whilst putting them on. Then the eyelets started to tear and then one of the hooks where the laces anchor it at the top of the boot went loose.

Hiking in them, I might as well went barefoot.  The soles flexed so much that I could feel sharp rocks on gravel or on the trail.  There were still hot spots even after they were broken in.  I finally threw the damn things out while I was camping when I tried to dry them out by the fire after crossing a stream.  They melted and I had them about a foot away from the coals.  

I've had good luck with boots from Columbia.  I got about six years out of one pair and the ones that replaced the Merrells have been going strong after a hunting season and everyday wear.  Hell they hardly even look used.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 12:23:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Almost none of these places make boots in my size.

Apparently nobody has feet bigger than 14 that are wide. 
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 9:00:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

This.

Salomons and Lowas are the only duty boots I wear anymore.

Wish salomon would come out with an 8" or 10" 4D & 3D and I wish Lowa would make the Z11 (11" boot) in black

I prefer an 8-10" duty boot.
View Quote
Have you not tried the Salomon Forces Ultra Jungle or Urban Jungle?

I own  green and grey civilian Quest 4D with Goretex, Forces Quest 4D non Goretex in black, and Urban Jungle in polishable black leather. The leather is a lot slower to break in but the boots give fantastic support and breathability. Just wish they were side zip because lacing up a full height boot is a chore.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 2:38:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Have you not tried the Salomon Forces Ultra Jungle or Urban Jungle?

I own  green and grey civilian Quest 4D with Goretex, Forces Quest 4D non Goretex in black, and Urban Jungle in polishable black leather. The leather is a lot slower to break in but the boots give fantastic support and breathability. Just wish they were side zip because lacing up a full height boot is a chore.
View Quote
Do you know if they have a goretex version of the Jungles? I couldn't find a goretex version online and I gotta have waterproof.

Thinking about picking up a pair of the Speed Assaults, but doesn't look like they're waterproof either.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 10:51:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Haven't tried their tactical stuff, but I have a pair of old Merrell Moab Ventilator shoes and a pair of Merrell Capra Bolt mid-boots and both are ultra-comfortable and have had more longevity than the Energizer bunny.

That being said, reading the other responses is making me wonder if that experience would be repeatable if I bought new ones now.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 12:55:37 AM EDT
[#32]
The quality of Merrell is lacking compared to what I've seen in other brands. I've had a pair of Moab's for less than 2 years now and they have been falling apart. I haven't put them through very rough use either. A little hiking/rucking and wearing them in my wood shop.

I plan to get a pair of Salomons for my upcoming deployment.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 9:02:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Merrels toe will seperate. Sad because I love merrel.

Valsetz are super comfortable if you aren't carrying a lot of weight. But like dude above said the soles are too soft and wear down way before the upper shows wear. I'm looking for my next hiking,gunning,tacticzl boot. I've had everything I don't know what's next
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:38:28 PM EDT
[#34]
I have a pair of Lowa's. They feal great but now the boss wants us to have boots we can polish.  Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 11:43:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I have a pair of Lowa's. They feal great but now the boss wants us to have boots we can polish.  Any suggestions?
View Quote
Fire him and get a new boss lol
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:36:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Surprised my thread is still going. As I said, Ill probably stick with my Acadias switched out with my Belleville 700ST. I guess if all else fails and I want a lightweight, zip tactical boot, I'll just get another pair of Bates UltraLites (reviews still show they have the same lifespan I was getting out of them).

On a side note, anyone here tried the new Danner Mtn 600's? The reviews seem good and I notice they have a black pair that appears polishable. Had my eye on the Low in Dark Brown as a possible replacement for my old Moabs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top