Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/9/2017 12:23:07 AM EDT
Is there such a thing that's reasonably affordable? I'm thinking something like the SKD Pig Brig (and similarly priced or cheaper) but for 8x10 plates. Slick to where you could run it plates only but modular to where you could add to it and with a cumberbund waist system. Think the smallest Pig Brig is for ESAPI small plates which probably would leave a lot of room is used with 8x10 plates.

Saw the AR500 micro plate carrier, but I'm not a fan of all the MOLLE, extra shoulder padding and buckle sides...
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 12:45:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Beez Combat Systems has a low profile carrier that comes in 8x10 with elastic cummerbund. They're made to order so might take a few weeks. Sounds like what you're looking for.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 2:27:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Beez Combat Systems has a low profile carrier that comes in 8x10 with elastic cummerbund. They're made to order so might take a few weeks. Sounds like what you're looking for.
View Quote
This. I guess. 

The fit of the plates in the carrier is a bit looser than you would expect, but I'm guessing that's to accommodate various plate thicknesses or plates plus backers. Still wish it was a bit tighter though, believe me it's not a glove like fit, they're very loose. Or maybe Beez doesn't know how to use a tape measure. Only other complaint is that if you're not a... thick torsoed person the shoulder straps leave something to be desired. I'm nearly out of velcro on mine they're adjusted so tight, will probably stick on some more.

Nothing wrong with the construction itself (stitching, materials, etc.) but I was a bit disappointed with how the plates fit. There's about a half inch of dead space in the pocket at the top, and I've got the closure flap as tight as the velcro fields on it would allow while still being secure. Plus I have 1/4" pads behind the plates in the carrier. And yes, I did order it in 8x10, it's right there on my receipt. I don't know for sure if it's my particular plates or Beez can't measure but it's a sloppy fit regardless. But there's nothing else out there like it for the money so I'll keep using it. 

And yes, there is a wait time. Ignore the stated wait time on their site as it likely isn't accurate, they're probably out a couple more weeks than it says. They won't tell you that either until you email them asking where your carrier is you ordered 25 business days ago, a week+ past their stated lead time. Would be nice if they had actually informed me they were at "35 to 45 days" lead time instead of 10 to 18 like the screen I got during checkout said.  
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 3:40:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

This. I guess. 

The fit of the plates in the carrier is a bit looser than you would expect, but I'm guessing that's to accommodate various plate thicknesses or plates plus backers. Still wish it was a bit tighter though, believe me it's not a glove like fit, they're very loose. Or maybe Beez doesn't know how to use a tape measure. Only other complaint is that if you're not a... thick torsoed person the shoulder straps leave something to be desired. I'm nearly out of velcro on mine they're adjusted so tight, will probably stick on some more.
. . .
View Quote
What plates + pads do you run specifically?
And dang that's a real shame as the product otherwise seems to fit the bill.. Would adding some padding between the closure flap and the plate allow it to be elevated more to get rid of the dead space? The "Supports . . .Full coat with Trauma pads" part really annoys me since that means they're trying to accommodate 1"+ of total possible thickness. I get the appeal of supporting a wider variety of plate combos, but after a certain point, it's just compromising the minimalist design I'm assuming they had in mind

I see they also have this ultralightweight option that says "Will hold plates 1/2-3/4 thick", meaning it's probably a tighter plate fit:
http://www.beezcombatsystems.com/Extreme-Lightweight-Plate-Carrier-BCS-ELPC.htm

Buuuuut... the smallest it's offered in is 10x12 or Small SAPI (8.75" Wide by 11.75")

Makes me wonder how well carriers designed for Small SAPI plates work with 8x10 plates
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 10:42:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

What plates + pads do you run specifically?
And dang that's a real shame as the product otherwise seems to fit the bill.. Would adding some padding between the closure flap and the plate allow it to be elevated more to get rid of the dead space? The "Supports . . .Full coat with Trauma pads" part really annoys me since that means they're trying to accommodate 1"+ of total possible thickness. I get the appeal of supporting a wider variety of plate combos, but after a certain point, it's just compromising the minimalist design I'm assuming they had in mind

I see they also have this ultralightweight option that says "Will hold plates 1/2-3/4 thick", meaning it's probably a tighter plate fit:
http://www.beezcombatsystems.com/Extreme-Lightweight-Plate-Carrier-BCS-ELPC.htm

Buuuuut... the smallest it's offered in is 10x12 or Small SAPI (8.75" Wide by 11.75")

Makes me wonder how well carriers designed for Small SAPI plates work with 8x10 plates
View Quote
The plates are Spartan Armor AR550 III+ plates, full frag coat. The pads are just some roughly 1/4" thick foam pads I added because without them the only thing between my chest and a hard steel plate was one layer of nylon. Just makes it a bit more comfortable. 

Yeah, you could probably stick some dense foam under the plate to lift it which I'll probably do at some point. I did it on my side plates because they sat way too low.

Don't know for sure how well a carrier sized for Small SAPIs would accommodate 8x10 plates but I'm guessing you'll have issues with vertical dead space in the plate pocket. 
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 1:41:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The plates are Spartan Armor AR550 III+ plates, full frag coat. The pads are just some roughly 1/4" thick foam pads I added because without them the only thing between my chest and a hard steel plate was one layer of nylon. Just makes it a bit more comfortable. 

Yeah, you could probably stick some dense foam under the plate to lift it which I'll probably do at some point. I did it on my side plates because they sat way too low.

Don't know for sure how well a carrier sized for Small SAPIs would accommodate 8x10 plates but I'm guessing you'll have issues with vertical dead space in the plate pocket. 
View Quote
Oh dang - those were actually the plates I've been considering going with. With full frag coat and 1/4" foam pads, doesn't that bring the total thickness to about .75"? Isn't that about what ESAPI plates are or am I totally off? And 8.75" Wide by 11.75" Tall would mean .75" horizontal deadspace and 1.75" vertical. Guess that is still a lot, and that's IF ESAPIs are in fact .75" and not 1"...

Man are there really that few choices for minimalist 8x10 PCs? Figure they'd be a lot more popular.. then again, I'm a shorter, small framed dude and that doesn't represent a good bit of the gun community.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 10:18:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Fwiw I have the BCS low pro carrier and love it. It was exactly what I wanted and fits my large SAPIs perfect.

I run 5 miles in it several times a week while wearing it as well.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 1:42:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Oh dang - those were actually the plates I've been considering going with. With full frag coat and 1/4" foam pads, doesn't that bring the total thickness to about .75"? Isn't that about what ESAPI plates are or am I totally off? And 8.75" Wide by 11.75" Tall would mean .75" horizontal deadspace and 1.75" vertical. Guess that is still a lot, and that's IF ESAPIs are in fact .75" and not 1"...

Man are there really that few choices for minimalist 8x10 PCs? Figure they'd be a lot more popular.. then again, I'm a shorter, small framed dude and that doesn't represent a good bit of the gun community.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are indeed that few choices. Believe me, I've looked. I spent weeks trying to find something. Tactical gear of any kind made for smaller individuals is super hard to find. I look at a lot of the stuff out there and think "What kind of monster can comfortably wear this stuff?" 

Though one positive is that when deals are running it's almost always the size large stuff that sells out, then medium after that. Small is usually still available. 

As for the Beez carrier, I mean it works but the plate fit was less than satisfactory in my opinion. Plus the shoulder straps are, like I said before, obviously meant for chunkier people. There's only about 4 inches of velcro that's actually velcroed together on mine, with about 6 1/2 inches not together. 
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 4:14:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

There are indeed that few choices. Believe me, I've looked. I spent weeks trying to find something. Tactical gear of any kind made for smaller individuals is super hard to find. I look at a lot of the stuff out there and think "What kind of monster can comfortably wear this stuff?" 

Though one positive is that when deals are running it's almost always the size large stuff that sells out, then medium after that. Small is usually still available. 

As for the Beez carrier, I mean it works but the plate fit was less than satisfactory in my opinion. Plus the shoulder straps are, like I said before, obviously meant for chunkier people. There's only about 4 inches of velcro that's actually velcroed together on mine, with about 6 1/2 inches not together. 
View Quote
Hrmm - how tall/big are you if you don't mind my asking? I'm about 5'5, 130lbs with about a 36" chest. And yeah I was originally going to go and snag a 10x12 until I sized things up. Realized an 8x10 probably gives me the same level of protection (nipple to nipple, jugular notch to lower ribs) that a 10x12 would on a taller, girthier individual. 10x12 on me would just be excessive and cumbersome, especially when you consider it's about a 2-4lb weight savings per plate.

In regards to the Beez carrier, if they're custom-made to order with a month long wait, shouldn't they be able to make adjustments per requests? Like fitting the carrier for a less bulky/padded plate to take out excess slack? As for the excess velcro, are you saying there's only velcro on the strap from the red line and back?:
http://imgur.com/a/jD16S
Oh lastly, What are the cummerbund flaps in reference to exactly?

Much appreciated on the consistent followups btw.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 7:55:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Would this work?
First Spear
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 11:28:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Hrmm - how tall/big are you if you don't mind my asking? I'm about 5'5, 130lbs with about a 36" chest. And yeah I was originally going to go and snag a 10x12 until I sized things up. Realized an 8x10 probably gives me the same level of protection (nipple to nipple, jugular notch to lower ribs) that a 10x12 would on a taller, girthier individual. 10x12 on me would just be excessive and cumbersome, especially when you consider it's about a 2-4lb weight savings per plate.

In regards to the Beez carrier, if they're custom-made to order with a month long wait, shouldn't they be able to make adjustments per requests? Like fitting the carrier for a less bulky/padded plate to take out excess slack? As for the excess velcro, are you saying there's only velcro on the strap from the red line and back?:

View Quote
I'm about 5' 9", 145 pounds. My chest is only slightly larger though, about 36 1/2" to 37" depending on how I measure. Yeah, 10x12s really aren't going to be comfortable for you. They aren't for me. I suppose you could try 10x12 swimmers cut plates though, but I don't know how far the bottom of the plate will end up past your chest. Plus then you need a carrier designed for swimmer plates, which also isn't super easy to find.

The velcro is kinda hard to explain, let me see if I can get some pics up later.

And yes, I suppose Beez could make changes if you get in touch with them. They do make custom carriers. That carrier was my one and only order from them so I don't really know what the deal is with that, suppose you could always call and ask.

As for the cummerbund flaps, they're actually in that photo you posted. Without the flaps the velcro ends of the cummerbund show. I'm pretty sure a member here posted pics of his that doesn't have the flaps, let me see if I can find it...
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 11:34:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Attachment Attached File

You guys need to eat a sandwich or 12
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 11:41:10 AM EDT
[#12]
View Quote
I know right? 

Thanks for the pic assist. Just went looking through the PC thread where I swear I saw your pics before but a lot of stuff in there got the photobucket treatment. 

OP, his doesn't have the cummerbund flaps. Compare that to the pic you posted and you'll see what I mean.

EDIT: On a side not, O3RN have you figured out anything to stick on that little velcro field on the front? I've been thinking about maybe putting a camo American flag patch on it (my carrier is multicam) but I dunno. 
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 11:45:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Would this work?
First Spear
View Quote
I honestly would have preferred that myself but the issue is it's sized for SAPI cut plates. Don't know how well it'll fit 8x10 steel plates. That, and it doesn't come in anything but coyote brown. 
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 5:41:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I know right? 

Thanks for the pic assist. Just went looking through the PC thread where I swear I saw your pics before but a lot of stuff in there got the photobucket treatment. 

OP, his doesn't have the cummerbund flaps. Compare that to the pic you posted and you'll see what I mean.

EDIT: On a side not, O3RN have you figured out anything to stick on that little velcro field on the front? I've been thinking about maybe putting a camo American flag patch on it (my carrier is multicam) but I dunno. 
View Quote
I'm not much of a patch guy. Maybe my Marine Corps one. I might just cut the threads instead.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 7:25:22 PM EDT
[#15]
OP, measure your plates.  Lots of times they run a little smaller than the size stated (like 2x4s)
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 6:19:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
OP, measure your plates.  Lots of times they run a little smaller than the size stated (like 2x4s)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Was that directed at me or CAKEPWNER? I haven't actually purchased my plates yet. He's the one who mentioned fitment issues with his plate+PC combo..

Quoted:
--
You guys need to eat a sandwich or 12
Haha - 26 now and feel like I'm doing a decent job of not building a gut - even been keeping up on strength training. Could probably do with a bit more muscle mass though:
http://imgur.com/a/jZ3Ct
Sadly don't see myself doing height-ward growth at this point and problem is 10x12 plates go from sternum notch nearly down to my belly button. Hinders mobility at that point, especially if I decide to run belt gear. Thanks for the pic and vid though - gives a lot more fitment info than their website!

Quoted:

Oh gotcha - yeah doesn't look like the cummerbund flaps add toooo much bulk and really cleans up the look IMO. Haven't really given much thought to patches personally. Something to identify good intentions and maybe your blood type wouldn't hurt?
Also went ahead and contacted Beez, and they replied in a quite timely manner:
"We make the 8x10 plate pocket to fit both the plate and a backer because so many use backers. As far as the shoulders I don't think you would have a problem. Your build is slim.

We could add a few 3/4" stitch around the pc if you really want it super tight around the plate. That way if you ever need backer you could easy unstitch.

Let me know,
Beez"
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 1:00:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
your height and chest put you at a SAPI small.  Why not find SAPI sized plates? bulletproofme.com has some.  That will make finding a carrier that fits much easier
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 3:42:24 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm 5'7, 130 lbs, 37" chest so about your size. I use small esapi plates. Here is the vest I had Beez Combat Systems make me. It as a custom carrier to fit my concealment cut soft panels plus internal plate pocket for small esapi plates.  They did a great job and if you get the measurements right you won't have any excess shoulder straps with barely attached velcro. I added the velocity systems placard and shoulder pads.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 7:49:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

your height and chest put you at a SAPI small.  Why not find SAPI sized plates? bulletproofme.com has some.  That will make finding a carrier that fits much easier
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Wait -  specific III+ steel plates in small SAPI dimensions and thickness? I looked but couldn't find any..They'd need to be pretty thick too, right? SAPIs are what: 1/2"-3/4" thick?

Quoted:
I'm 5'7, 130 lbs, 37" chest so about your size. I use small esapi plates. Here is the vest I had Beez Combat Systems make me. It as a custom carrier to fit my concealment cut soft panels plus internal plate pocket for small esapi plates.  They did a great job and if you get the measurements right you won't have any excess shoulder straps with barely attached velcro. I added the velocity systems placard and shoulder pads.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/396950/IMG-1583-255596.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/396950/IMG-1585-255602.JPG
Dang nice setup mate. If someone makes III+ steel plates in small SAPI dimensions at a reasonable price point, I'd jump on it. Actual ESAPIs are well outside my budget else I would have gone that way with a PIG BRIG or Beez.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 8:05:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Beez Combat can help you out with any size you need man. Not just esapi
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:58:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for all the help guys - went with the Beez Spartan Armor Systems Extreme Concealable in Ranger Green. Had them add the side stitching to hopefully snug up the plates. Person said I should be fine with the level of shoulder adjustment despite my voiced concerns about CAKEPWNER's issues and inquiry into whether added velcro would help.. We'll have to see how it turns out.

For plates, went with Spartan III+ 8x10s with ATC triple curve and full coat of frag mitigation.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 6:54:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The velcro is kinda hard to explain, let me see if I can get some pics up later.

And yes, I suppose Beez could make changes if you get in touch with them. They do make custom carriers. That carrier was my one and only order from them so I don't really know what the deal is with that, suppose you could always call and ask...
View Quote
Hey mate - any chance you'd be able to take some pictures for me, especially regarding the shoulder strap velcro situation? I have my plates already and placed my order with Beez about a week ago. Just fretting that the velcro thing will be a bother for me as well.  Figured that if I had pictures, especially with the carrier properly adjusted to someone with a similar chest, it'd give me a better idea of what I'd be dealing with.  If it looks enough like an issue or one that I couldn't fix myself, I might just offer to pay the extra $ to get the velcro extended.

Thanks again for all the help!
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 7:36:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Hey mate - any chance you'd be able to take some pictures for me, especially regarding the shoulder strap velcro situation? I have my plates already and placed my order with Beez about a week ago. Just fretting that the velcro thing will be a bother for me as well.  Figured that if I had pictures, especially with the carrier properly adjusted to someone with a similar chest, it'd give me a better idea of what I'd be dealing with.  If it looks enough like an issue or one that I couldn't fix myself, I might just offer to pay the extra $ to get the velcro extended.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And yes, I suppose Beez could make changes if you get in touch with them. They do make custom carriers. That carrier was my one and only order from them so I don't really know what the deal is with that, suppose you could always call and ask...

Whoops, forgot about this. 

It's honestly not that big of an issue, but yeah you can just add some extra velcro. Give me minute to get pics up...

EDIT: Pics below. You can see on the underside of the "top" strap (which is the one with hook velcro) there's a section that's just bare webbing. You could add some more hook velcro there. You can also see how much slack I've got.

Link Posted: 7/26/2017 12:17:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It's honestly not that big of an issue, but yeah you can just add some extra velcro. Give me minute to get pics up...

EDIT: Pics below. You can see on the underside of the "top" strap (which is the one with hook velcro) there's a section that's just bare webbing. You could add some more hook velcro there. You can also see how much slack I've got.

https://i.imgur.com/0V9GJjb.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/4YIe2a5.jpg
View Quote
Dang man - big thank you! Yeah, there's really no reason the top strap couldn't have velcro all down to where it attaches to the front plate holder.. I'll ask if I can get it done and if not, I might do it myself. 2" of velcro attachment doesn't seem like much. It'd probably do, but I'd worry if someone had to drag me out of harm's way using the shoulder strap. Fair bit of excess, but better that than too short. Could always cut it off and restitch.

Two things: does the back/loop excess tuck under the front plate pocket fairly well? And is that shoulder padding I see on the other side? Are those their 6" pads and if so, how's the fit? Would you have opted for 4"?
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 2:05:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Dang man - big thank you! Yeah, there's really no reason the top strap couldn't have velcro all down to where it attaches to the front plate holder.. I'll ask if I can get it done and if not, I might do it myself. 2" of velcro attachment doesn't seem like much. It'd probably do, but I'd worry if someone had to drag me out of harm's way using the shoulder strap. Fair bit of excess, but better that than too short. Could always cut it off and restitch.

Two things: does the back/loop excess tuck under the front plate pocket fairly well? And is that shoulder padding I see on the other side? Are those their 6" pads and if so, how's the fit? Would you have opted for 4"?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/0V9GJjb.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/4YIe2a5.jpg

No problem. 

Yeah the excess strap tucks away fairly well. Don't even notice it's there. 

And yes that is a shoulder pad, no it's not from Beez. It's an old MSAP shoulder pad (thanks again Augee!) for attachment of IIIa deltoid armor. Though I can tell you this: those MSAP pads are 10 freakin' inches long yet they somehow tuck away just fine, at least for me. I'd go for the 6" pads myself, the 4" always seemed a little too small, like they could slip around easily and leave you fighting them to stay in place. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top