Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/7/2017 3:31:01 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 5:32:20 PM EDT
[#1]
While it may not be what you're looking to hear, honestly, I've just been using an M1956 pistol belt for that sort of thing, and it's help up really well for that purpose.  Used to wear it at work with a bit of rifle and pistol ammo (a couple of mags of each), holster with pistol, flashlight, and other stuff on it for hours a day, 4-5 days most weeks.   I've also used the belt for carrying a light loadout just roaming through the woods or desert or shooting recreationally somewhere other than a range.  Any more weight and I would have wanted suspenders, though.  The belt cost $5.  I don't think that I really would have gotten much of a better value spending however much the latest and greatest costs.  I actually like it better than the ALICE belts.  Having tried out a wide belt at work, I actually like a narrower belt better for moving around and such, as well as for sitting in a vehicle.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 5:40:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a battle belt, but in all honesty.....I use 2 belts, 1 grey ghost gear belt and another belt (doesn't matter which as long as it holds your pants up well and is thick enough to keep the gun belt from riding up over it in most positions).

I mounted kydex pistol and rifle mags, and a holster to the GGG belt.  Then I put it underneath my pants belt so that it rides above my hips and below the pants belt.

It's way slimmer than the battle belt design, and I've worn it all day without discomfort.  I wear this around the house as it's just easier to put everything on or take everything off rather than deal with weaving it all into a pants belt.  

I like the battle belt I have (VTAC Brokos) just fine, but it's better suited for heavier loads and molle gear compatibility.  If all you want is 2 pistol and 2 rifle mags, TQ, and a pistol holster......if it were me.....I'd be going with the basic belt setup I have rather than the full battle belt.  The BB has more lateral stability, and it's more comfortable if you are going to be going prone or rolling around in the dirt (since it has padding between your hips and the hard gear).

My BB has been worn 2 times I think.  I can't count the number of times I've used the 2 belt GGG setup.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 6:13:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I've used an HSGI Sure Grip for years. It's tops and comfortable enough to wear all day.

As to Bigstick's recommendation: belt order kits are great for ventilation and load distribution- I have five from various countries, and use the Brit P58 and SA P70 for hot weather hiking when a good amount of water must be carried- but modern belt offerings kick their asses with regard to comfort and stability.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 7:14:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've used an HSGI Sure Grip for years. It's tops and comfortable enough to wear all day.

As to Bigstick's recommendation: belt order kits are great for ventilation and load distribution- I have five from various countries, and use the Brit P58 and SA P70 for hot weather hiking when a good amount of water must be carried- but modern belt offerings kick their asses with regard to comfort and stability.
View Quote
All I can say is that the old belt has done everything that I've asked of it without issue, and I've worn it as described on over 200 occasions for 4-12 hours, both on foot and going in and out of a vehicle.  If I wanted to carry more ammo or other heavy items besides a very basic amount, it would need suspenders, but I think the same could be said for more modern belts as well.   

I do also use the older style LBE for more extensive setups, but I did so initially because of cost (my current setup cost less in its entirety than what 2-3 high-end pouches would cost) and because it was what I was used to.  But the old gear has done pretty well for itself, and even if I had a larger gear budget, I don't see a need to fix what's not broken.  If I were starting fresh with a large budget I might go a different route.

Anyhow, my point is that one can save money by trying something like that out; if it works, great, and again, you just saved a lot of money, potentially.  If not, you're not really out much of anything.  I think people would be surprised how well some older items work (others, not so much, though; it depends on what older gear we're talking about).
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 8:49:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 3:44:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I started using an HSGI sure grip fairly recently.  I got it partly to be able to gear up faster.  Got it used on the EE.

I don't have much of a load on it yet, still experimenting with it some. It's very stable and could easily carry a much heavier load.

I did have problems with my pants belt working its way out from under the battle belt. This would get very uncomfortable. Adjusting my pants belt made no difference. I just stopped wearing a pants belt, made it much more comfortable. I did not attempt adjusting the battle belt.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 5:00:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 5:48:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a hsgi suregrip belt loaded pretty heavy that is super comfortable. Hunting, shooting, etc. Probably the most comfortable setup I've ever worn.

I also have a USMC MOLLE belt that I got for $20-30 I got strictly for hunting so I wouldn't have to change around my other belt. Sure, it's not as comfortable but it is so close it's kinda depressing.

I must say that the biggest difference is the easy of attaching my holster to the hsgi belt.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 3:23:08 AM EDT
[#9]
My setup after many years working in hot and humid environments is now the G-Code XST RTI holster with a RTI Optimal Drop Pistol Platform on a pants riggers belt.  My HSGI slim version padded battle belt is worn over the pants riggers belt it with HSGI tacos for my Sig 226 mags and M-4 30 round mags along with a mag dump pouch by Maxpedition and a pogey pouch and IFAK.   The drop platform lets the sidearm ride lower than the waistline and it beats a drop leg setup. I wore a drop leg holster for many years but never liked it strapped to my leg.

When working in hot and hostile environments it's nice to be able to take off the battle belt and plate carrier and still have your sidearm at the ready during your downtime. It can be attached easily to the HSGI battle belt if needed but I like the setup I have now.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 2:22:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I've tried a lot of different belts over the years:

M1956 - very serviceable
ALICE - not "cool" but it was when I started using them in the early 1980's.  The green buckle version sucks.
Rigger & Cobra - the whole "duty belt" approach isn't want I wanted out of a battle belt.
Duty Belts (everything from Uncle Mikes to Tactical Tailor) - see above.
Tactical Tailor Padded MOLLE - works well with lighter loads.
Eagle War Belt - works well with suspenders, but the suspenders are uncomfortable under a PC.
HSGI SureGrip - it felt too "tall" for my comfort.  It did stay put.
ATS with Duty Belt - I'm not a fan of 2pc belts...they just don't seem to work for me.

Here's some odd ball stuff I've tried:

West German Web Belt - nice belt...crap buckle design.
East German Web Belt - too flimsy for weight distribution.
British M58 - similar to US M1956.

What do I use now?

+ Tactical Tailor Padded MOLLE for lighter set ups
+ Propper International USMC MOLLE belt with suspenders for heavier set ups
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 2:27:07 PM EDT
[#11]
It isn't what the cool guys are using, but good old ALICE belts (the metal buckle or black plastic buckle) versions work very well.

The padding in "modern" belt designs (like the TT and PI I use now) helps with comfort, but I very very very seriously doubt they'll be as durable as good old M56 or ALICE 782 gear.

ETA: The cost of an ALICE belt in new condition is about $5-10.  Its worth a try before spending $100 on the HSGI.  If you don't like it - give it to your kid or a neighbor's kid.  You'll be a hero.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 3:40:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 3:53:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Esstac, i can load it up with tons of weight and its comfortable.  And its less bulky than suregrip style.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 9:11:07 AM EDT
[#14]
One of the best methods I found years ago was the velcro inner/outer belt system by Uncle Mike's.  Later down the road, I find that none of the tactical gear companies were offering an updated version of the velcro UM system; the wide, padded sleeve was pretty much all there was...tried that, didn't care for it.

Finally, I just had Tactical Tailor make me an outer belt with molle webbing on the outside and velcro on the inside.  It mates up to a velcro inner trouser belt from Jones Tactical.  The inner belt holds my pants up and anchors the system, the outer belt does not shift around, and the things mounted on the belt stay in their assigned spots.

Simple, reliable, comfortable and rides below my chest rig perfectly.

Link Posted: 7/28/2017 5:01:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
ETA: The cost of an ALICE belt in new condition is about $5-10.  Its worth a try before spending $100 on the HSGI.  If you don't like it - give it to your kid or a neighbor's kid.  You'll be a hero.
View Quote
An ALICE belt is what I use for my battle belt.  I keep a holster, 4 single pistol mag pouches, sheath knife and dump pouch on it.  It works well for my needs and was very cheap.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top