Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/6/2017 5:28:05 PM EDT
I use a surplus USMC padded MOLLE belt and suspenders to carry a holster, IFAK, mags, etc. I do own a TT Mini-MAV with mag pouches, as well as a TAG PC and lvl IV ceramic plates, for TEOTWAWKI / SHTFantasy type stuff. But, I have no delusions that most of that is overkill. For my needs, the belt will cover the overwhelming majority of situations in which I may find myself.

I am smart enough, however, to know that the ability to carry water is of vital importance. Sure, I could throw on the belt and suspenders and then toss on a Camelback or other hydration carrier over the suspenders. I was thinking that since I already have the suspenders over my shoulders, why throw another set of straps over them, if I could find a way to simply attach a hydration carrier to the suspenders?

Ideally, what I would like is a set of suspenders with a nylon PALS panel on the back, say 4-6 columns wide by 6 rows high. In other words, just big enough to attach something the size of a TAG MOLLE small 50oz hydration pouch. I would rather the suspender straps be sewn into the panel, for reinforcement, rather than simply routed through it.

Yes, I could just ditch the suspenders and wear a separate Camelbak. Personally, I like the suspenders. I came of age in the days when the Army issued ALICE gear, starting with a Y-harness and culminating in an LBV. I like the ability to undo the belt, say to take a piss or something, without having to remove the entire thing. The suspenders let the belt hang loose while I've got my dick in my hand or doing whatever it was which caused me to unbuckle my belt. So, I want something which allows me to marry the hydration carrier to the suspenders. In my mind's eye, a smell PALS panel seems to be a pretty interesting option.

Anybody know if such a thing exists? If not, anybody know a homebrew stitch bitch who'd be interested in giving me a quote on what it would cost to make one, using coyote 500D nylon if I provide the suspenders?
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 5:48:23 PM EDT
[#1]
HSGI makes this:
http://www.highspeedgear.com/hsgi/modular-padded-shoulder-harness-95SH00.html

But depending on what suspenders you use you can normally attach directly. 

Edit:
The USMC Source ILBE (? I think) is what I used on one of mine, I just removed the straps and put new ones on to attach it directly to it.  I'm a huge fan of belts on suspenders and have several setups, but normally run a 12L pack on them.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 5:53:30 PM EDT
[#2]
You might also look at the Tactical Tailor X Harness and Fight Light X Harness Extended.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 6:05:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Or do a simple rigger mod to the 2" webbing Y harness, by bartacking 1" webbing on vertically on the back to hang a camelback via ITW Quick Attach Surface Mount Buckles, ITW G-Hooks, or simple Grimloks.

While at it I would convert the Y harness to H harness to better support the Warbelt, maybe add some 2" loop Velcro to the undersides at the shoulders so you can add shoulderpads as needed. Horizontal PALS loops on the crossbar to hang a MOLLE compatible hydro sleeve via Malice Clips or Natick Straps.   

all fairly easy without turning it into a major rebuild.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 6:38:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You might also look at the Tactical Tailor X Harness and Fight Light X Harness Extended.
View Quote
I've owned a MAV and X-Harness in the past. I'm not a fan of the full-on vest system, as it's way too much for my needs. If I'm not mistaken, the X-harness attachment system won't lend itself to attaching to the belt's suspender points.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 6:43:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
HSGI makes this:
http://www.highspeedgear.com/hsgi/modular-padded-shoulder-harness-95SH00.html

But depending on what suspenders you use you can normally attach directly. 

Edit:
The USMC Source ILBE (? I think) is what I used on one of mine, I just removed the straps and put new ones on to attach it directly to it.  I'm a huge fan of belts on suspenders and have several setups, but normally run a 12L pack on them.
View Quote
I like that. The Y-suspenders which came with the belt wouldn't work, so I would have to replace them, as well. Once I add in a set of HSGI suspenders, I'm at a little over $80. It's still not exactly what I'm looking for, though.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 6:57:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I like that. The Y-suspenders which came with the belt wouldn't work, so I would have to replace them, as well. Once I add in a set of HSGI suspenders, I'm at a little over $80. It's still not exactly what I'm looking for, though.
View Quote
Just order a little 1" webbing and some buckles, you're probably under $10.  My local surplus store has most of that kind of stuff for buy by the foot pricing too.  Scissors and a lighter get you there though.

What about it isn't quite right?  I know of several things that could probably work.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 6:59:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Something more like this???

http://www.specialrussianshop.com/images/product_images/popup_images/242_2.jpg
http://www.specialrussianshop.com/images/product_images/popup_images/242_0.jpg
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 2:33:34 AM EDT
[#8]
M1967 suspenders work well for this purpose.  You can get them pretty cheap used, and even NOS they tend to be $15-30 a set.  I integrated a Camelbak Thermobak 3L into my belt and suspender setup.

Link Posted: 7/8/2017 4:56:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Condor makes an H Harness with three rows of PALS/MOLLE webbing on the back.  They're cheap so you'd be out less than $20 if it didn't work out.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 2:58:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 9:20:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top