Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2017 8:27:51 PM EDT
I've been seriously considering a pelican case but the kicker is I don't want to shape the foam. I'd rather leave it so I can take a particular firearm(s) (AR, Remington 700, shotgun, handguns) for the specific outing. Would something like the pelican 1750 fit the bill for me?

Midway 1750
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:14:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Pelican cases are unnecessarily large, heavy, bulky, and... really absurdly cool. The 1750 is a large case and damn near bullet proof. It'll come with some foam in it, you could most likely take out one layer and put guns in and have them stay relatively stable. Some people put rifles in a soft case, then load them into the pelican, avoiding the foam cutting issue altogether. I will likely cut the foam in mine eventually, until then I've simply taken the middle layer out (the 1750 comes with 3 or so layers already stuffed in there) and put my rifles in. I'm sure that is not the most secure means of using the case, but on more than one outing that method case kept my items separated and without damage.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 2:56:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pelican cases are unnecessarily large, heavy, bulky, and... really absurdly cool.
View Quote
This.  I have a large pelican case (not sure what model) that I use for 3-gun and it is crazy heavy and a pain to transport.  Having said that, I have flown with it more than half-a-dozen times and I cannot imagine using anything else.  I have traveled with other people who use lesser cases and they have been broken by baggage handlers and my one friends scope broke when his case developed a bad seal and could not vent in the baggage compartment of the airplane.  No matter how tough or overbuilt you think something may be do not underestimate the ability of an underpaid luggage jockey to destroy it.  Go with the pelican and don't look back.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 8:23:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Unless you are flying or moving I find them to be a bigger PITA than it is worth. 
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 10:52:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Massive, heavy, expensive, overbuilt, and I would never consider flying without one. Buying them is painful, but your weapons are worth more than the money you'd save on a lesser case.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 11:29:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Good points.  

I have a bunch of them but don't use them due to bulk and weight.  It's overkill for driving ten miles to the gun club.   A good soft case fits in the truck easier.    Lots of guys pack their guns in soft cases and stick them in an empty hard case and pack their hunting clothes around the gun in lieu of foam.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 11:44:53 AM EDT
[#6]
I used to haul my bench gun around in a 1700, but that case alone is like 17lbs empty...
I don't really use it anymore, and probably won't unless I'm going on a long trip or need to fly with a long gun.

I did make sure it would fit in the trunk of a 350Z before I bought the car
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 1:56:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I love mine. Heavy, yeah but top quality and extremely rugged.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 2:04:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I have 6 that I use to travel with my TV gear.

They are quite heavy but incredibly rugged.

I once had the 1750 but sold it because it was way too much bulk and way too heavy for a rifle.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 4:24:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Two things about Pelican cases:

1) anything larger than the 1700 is considered 'oversize' baggage for most airlines (the 62 inch dimension limit) and
will incur a charge (for example: $75 on Southwest). If you want to transport a full-sized AR, you'll either have to break it down and put it in a 1700, or,
pay the extra charge if you put it in a larger case.

2) I won't use anything but a Pelican/Storm/Hardigg case when I am flying. Baggage handlers and baggage handling systems are not gentle on baggage.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 4:31:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Two things about Pelican cases:

1) anything larger than the 1700 is considered 'oversize' baggage for most airlines (the 62 inch dimension limit) and
will incur a charge (for example: $75 on Southwest). If you want to transport a full-sized AR, you'll either have to break it down and put it in a 1700, or,
pay the extra charge if you put it in a larger case.

2) I won't use anything but a Pelican/Storm/Hardigg case when I am flying. Baggage handlers and baggage handling systems are not gentle on baggage.
View Quote
My 16" .308 AR with a collapsed UBR fit in one piece in a 1700 with padding on both ends...
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 4:39:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Love them, have three 1750s.  For distant travel, and trips into the sticks where off road driving is required, I'll throw my rifles in a soft case, then into the pelican.  

For just soft city drives on paved roads to the local range, I just use a soft case.

I have a 1770 with the cut foam in case your curious about custom cut foam:

It's pretty cool having the custom cut foam, but I hear it costs around $200?
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 4:44:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I have one i purchased used, locally. Screw shipping. I love the case but it really is a pain in the dick.

One tip about the foam is, buy a cheap shit foam mattress pad from the store in the bedding. Cut it to size, and throw a few layers in it while you remove one of the large pluckable layers. Put that in the bottom so it takes up the slack of the middle pluck layer. This will sandwich your shit effectively while not allowing much movement.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 2:37:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

My 16" .308 AR with a collapsed UBR fit in one piece in a 1700 with padding on both ends...
View Quote
When I said 'full size,' I was referring to rifles w/ 20 inch barrels.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 2:47:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Oh snap!
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 2:48:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Massive, heavy, expensive, overbuilt, and I would never consider flying without one. Buying them is painful, but your weapons are worth more than the money you'd save on a lesser case.
View Quote
This

i have tried several other brands. I always come back. Bitch Pelican 
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 7:06:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
I think you meant to say "over-size"

I like my AR's short and stubby...
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 7:59:46 AM EDT
[#17]
If you're not stuck on things being brand new, I'd suggest looking on craigslist for a week or two before buying new. You'd be surprised what you might find. I will say though, keep in mind the potential cost of foam if you pick up a used case.

Of course there's always the occasional amazon screw up pricing, which is how I got my 1750(s)....
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 11:20:17 AM EDT
[#18]
I'll parrot what everyone else has said: They're big, heavy, and cumbersome.
I bought mine because I thought it was the peak of case perfection. Then I tried to bring more than one gun to the range and it was like "oh, this goddamn case takes up the space of 4 rifles"
Ive got foam I cut out in mine that fits a couple differently configured ARs. But, their optics and light setups have changed since I cut the foam 7 years ago, and now the foam bothers me because it 'isnt right.'

When I fly with it i pull the foam and put everything in soft cases and dump it in there. Case has taken a beating while travelijg but everything inside is still good.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 3:15:14 PM EDT
[#19]
I don't fly with firearms, so I don't need it...  if I did, I would... it's that simple...

for the 12-26Mile trip to the range, My bolt gun has been riding in a Doskocill  single rifle case I paid $30 for back in 1994...
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 5:40:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Only reason I have them is for air travel.

For ARs, I go smaller with break-down upper/lower cut-outs in the foam.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 11:30:24 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a Storm i3100 which is made by Pelican.  It is similar to their model 1700 minus the fixed handle.  It is heavy and robust but give me the confidence of protection.  I use a fitted soft case that came with the case.  I love mine.  I have 1 AR, 1 upper and 3 loaded magazines and you pretty much have to use the wheels at that point.  Did I say it is heavy?  The bulkiness and size do not help if space is an issue.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top