Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/21/2017 8:21:30 AM EDT
Just took a Movement in Structures class. Strobe seemed to work well. Trying to find a surefire that has strobe but don't seem to be able to. Any ideas? I want lots of lumens and strobe option. Any views of the new aisan companies like Fenix?
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:42:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Just took a Movement in Structures class. Strobe seemed to work well. Trying to find a surefire that has strobe but don't seem to be able to. Any ideas? I want lots of lumens and strobe option. Any views of the new aisan companies like Fenix?
View Quote

Handheld? I like EAGTAC and their clicky mode layout.  I carry a single cell D25C clicky, tons of light.
With bezel tight, you start in turbo, half click goes to strobe, half click again goes back to turbo. Simple.
With bezel loose, you start on low, med, high, strobe plus some other hidden modes nobody ever uses.
Only downside is they don't have a momentary function.

If you're talking rifle mounted, i like Inforce.

Pistol mounted strobe, i have no idea.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:26:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pistol mounted strobe, i have no idea.
View Quote
Streamlight is good.  I like the ProTac and the TLR series.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:49:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I went through a strobe phase too. In the end I found it was pointless. It cuts brightness in half. It distracted me more than the criminals. I removed strobe from everything I could.

I realized it had never been useful in clearing structures, arresting felons, or in any way I thought it would for over the two years I tried to add it to everything. The only real use I found for strobe was for alerting drivers of crime scenes or accidents in a roadway. Once I took account of that fact, I quit using strobe.

Just found it distracting and to over complicate your thought process, leaving less room for processing tactics and movement. You only have so many things you can process so fast and if you exceed the limit you slow down or start running some things on autopilot mentally and start to make mental mistakes and lapses in judgement. This is just my opinion. Others feel differently.

Streamlight handgun lights strobe. The HLX weaponlight and handheld strobe. The Streamlights have the 10 tap programming and I go just max on weaponlight but leave the handheld with strobe for traffic and a low for administrative stuff since it's on a duty belt. Active shooter/warrant service belt has a tactical Surefire 2 stage with temp low and max only.

Don't go crazy getting strobe lights that are hard wired into the user interface because you may change your mind. The ten tap Streamlights can get the strobe programmed out if you change your mind later.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 9:01:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Streamlight is good.  I like the ProTac and the TLR series.
View Quote
Forgot about Streamlight's strobe.  I've got a TLR1 and the first thing I did was 10-tap it to disable the strobe
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 5:29:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Forgot about Streamlight's strobe.  I've got a TLR1 and the first thing I did was 10-tap it to disable the strobe
View Quote
Me too.  I hate strobe and have it disabled, but I can always reenable it if I change my mind.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 5:39:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Didn't know you could 10 tap the WMLs.

I EDC a protac 2l and shield/tlr6 or g19/tlr3.

I know the protac will do it. Factory for me was high, double for strobe, and triple for low.

The strobe function seems like it'd be useful to disorient as well as signal. I'm sure the LEOs would still find more use of it as a signal. I don't really see a situation where I'd use the strobe instead of muzzle flashes (if they didn't get the point before, Ya know?).

It's strong enough to really blind and disorient at night, even at 230?lm.

I don't think have a strobe as a primary is a great idea, but I like (despite the lack of use) having it as a feature.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:37:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Fenix TK16.

I was running TK22s on all my long guns, but the TK16 is an improved 22 (Backwards numbering....weird). My department bought 2 to replace a pair of Nitecore lights that had gone done. Tailcap has two buttons, one large one for momentary and constant on and a smaller offset button for strobe. Very intuitive. I ran one in a run through our shoothouse to check the placement for the rifle I was mounting it to and immediately ordered a pair of them off Amazon for my primary personal rifle and my duty gun.

Been running them a few months now, Strobe when you need it and not having to cycle functions is awesome. Highly recommend them.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 11:10:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Why do you want a strobe?

I question the tactical value of "disorient the badguy."
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 11:45:11 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a Fenix PD35 i bought a few years ago.  Works great, very happy with it.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 3:18:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I went through a strobe phase too. In the end I found it was pointless. It cuts brightness in half. It distracted me more than the criminals. I removed strobe from everything I could.

I realized it had never been useful in clearing structures, arresting felons, or in any way I thought it would for over the two years I tried to add it to everything. The only real use I found for strobe was for alerting drivers of crime scenes or accidents in a roadway. Once I took account of that fact, I quit using strobe.

Just found it distracting and to over complicate your thought process, leaving less room for processing tactics and movement. You only have so many things you can process so fast and if you exceed the limit you slow down or start running some things on autopilot mentally and start to make mental mistakes and lapses in judgement. This is just my opinion. Others feel differently.

Streamlight handgun lights strobe. The HLX weaponlight and handheld strobe. The Streamlights have the 10 tap programming and I go just max on weaponlight but leave the handheld with strobe for traffic and a low for administrative stuff since it's on a duty belt. Active shooter/warrant service belt has a tactical Surefire 2 stage with temp low and max only.

Don't go crazy getting strobe lights that are hard wired into the user interface because you may change your mind. The ten tap Streamlights can get the strobe programmed out if you change your mind later.
View Quote
Agreed, especially about it being a distraction to the user / user's team mates. I know some guys who swear by it, but in my experience 500 lumens in your eyes is 500 lumens in your eyes.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 4:58:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Streamlight ProTac 2L.  It has a strobe but I don't use it.  Great bright pocket light!
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 3:15:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Agreed, especially about it being a distraction to the user / user's team mates. I know some guys who swear by it, but in my experience 500 lumens in your eyes is 500 lumens in your eyes.
View Quote
This. Especially the team mates part.Shit, I've played with them, and find them to be too distracting for ME alone! A strobe on a pistol isn't like a hand portable banger. You don't just toss it through the door, wait for the bang and bust in. it blinds the shit out of and disorients the shooter as well as the target. If it's a situation where your light is on, either stick it in his face, which I assure you will at least make him squint and look away if you have a bright one (congratulations! distraction accomplished!), or you're gonna shoot him anyway, so get to pulling that trigger, son! No sense in over dramatizing it, and disorienting yourself in the process
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top