User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 9:20:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Edited, see below.  HS
View Quote
Lol.  I was on Skype with my wife one morning when we caught a few mortars.  Right after that the internet got cut in the middle of the conversation.  IIRC we went river city and I couldn't get back with her for a day or two.  Felt kinda bad for her.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 10:49:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Lol.  I was on Skype with my wife one morning when we caught a few mortars.  Right after that the internet got cut in the middle of the conversation.  IIRC we went river city and I couldn't get back with her for a day or two.  Felt kinda bad for her.
View Quote
In 2007 I called my wife from a local cell phone as I was being loaded onto a medevac bird, have had plenty of times with sketchy internet convos in weird situations. Last year I had a local Roshan hotspot, was able to get online on my phone in some pretty austere places.  Its not an issue if you have the discipline to use it correctly.

I know the non mil guys here think they are all switched on because they have seen "we were soldiers" 40 times and all seasons of "The Unit", but some of the stuff I see posted here is outright absurd.

I'm headed back out the door pretty soon here myself, ill be sure to keep in touch with this forum so you guys can set me straight.  
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 10:56:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I know the non mil guys here think they are all switched on because they have seen "we were soldiers" 40 times and all seasons of "The Unit", but some of the stuff I see posted here is outright absurd.
View Quote
I know. Im thinking about just saying fuck it and stop posting. I have civilians critiquing the cleanliness of my kit, and the fact I am on the Internet at all. I thought this was supposed to be one of the better subforums.

And yea Roshan isnt  bad, you can use it in the middle of nowhere.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 11:05:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I know. Im thinking about just saying fuck it and stop posting. I have civilians critiquing the cleanliness of my kit, and the fact I am on the Internet. I thought this was supposed to be one of the better subforums.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know. Im thinking about just saying fuck it and stop posting. I have civilians critiquing the cleanliness of my kit, and the fact I am on the Internet. I thought this was supposed to be one of the better subforums.

I can say as a civilian I appreciate the input from real world users of gear. It's helped me figure out what works without making a bunch of costly newbie mistakes.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 11:10:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I can say as a civilian I appreciate the input from real world users of gear. It's helped me figure out what works without making a bunch of costly newbie mistakes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. I don't pretend to be some Tacticool Timmy, I just like to try and prepare for bad situations and it helps to get insight from those who use this stuff daily. I'm enjoying this thread, OP.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 11:13:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I know. Im thinking about just saying fuck it and stop posting. I have civilians critiquing the cleanliness of my kit, and the fact I am on the Internet at all. I thought this was supposed to be one of the better subforums.

View Quote
To be clear, I fucked with you first on your gear being clean, but I feel I am pretty much obligated to do so.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 11:18:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

To be clear, I fucked with you first on your gear being clean, but I feel I am pretty much obligated to do so.
View Quote
Lol thats a bit different than an autistic civilian calling me a pog.

Glad to see people are actually getting something out of it. And me and deamon (presumably) are happy to answer questions about kit, he has some really nice stuff.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 11:37:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I for one appreciate this thread. Stay safe brother.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 12:12:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I, too, appreciate this thread and the work that you do for us. Be safe over there.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 12:16:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I really like threads like these and appreciate op's time.

I also miss the days when posters on tech forums were respectful.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 12:25:14 PM EDT
[#11]
I'll be sure to make another post about the crye MRB, once I get it set up and carry it on mission a few times. I always thought battle belts were stupid if you didn't have a handgun but I can see their use for other things too.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 1:01:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Edited, see below.  HS
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 1:17:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ignore them.... Your a killer... with a hard shell....

I have to live vicariously thru some one...

Don't let the dumb asses scare ya off...
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 1:25:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Edited, see below.  HS
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 3:55:16 PM EDT
[#15]
This is why we can't have nice things.

OP takes his time to post some cool pics and share some neat stuff with us and people have to go and ruin it.

Posts by people like the OP, Daemon, and many other members here are how I have picked up all kinds of neat little tips and tricks that didn't get covered in any books or classes. For example one of the things I learned dwelling this sub forum was with a cat TQ keeping the velcro "time:" tab velcroed to the side so it isn't crossing over the windlass, in doing so the TQ can be deployed faster. Another tip I picked up from a poster was to download 30 round mags to 28 rounds so the magazine can be properly seated on a closed bolt. Every time people like the OP post it will almost always have something of value for people like myself to use and learn from even if the poster didn't know it at the time.

I hope the Military guys like OP, the Law Enforcement guys, the guys who really like to train, and all of the other posters ignore the haters and continue to share. Myself and i'm sure others appreciate the contributions from experienced users, subject matter experts, and professionals who take the time and interest to post in this subforum for the rest of us to see and hopefully learn from, your experience and insight is a valuable commodity to many of us.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 4:03:39 PM EDT
[#16]
The OP doing what he does is what allows me to play in gear like I does.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 4:31:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OP
It's just the internet. Ignore those who need ignoring and I don't mean the ignore button.

When I was getting out in 05 I called my uncle in Alaska from Okinawa. He was amazed how clear I sounded. He said he called home a few time from Oki back durring Vietnam and said the connection sucked. He could hardly hear his wife.

Next time I saw him he commented on that conversation and went on about how nice it is to be able to use modern technology. It seems we continually improve our means to talk to home. Now we have pretty good internet connections.

Im glad you, and every one can talk to home. It helps.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 4:58:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

OP
It's just the internet. Ignore those who need ignoring and I don't mean the ignore button.

When I was getting out in 05 I called my uncle in Alaska from Okinawa. He was amazed how clear I sounded. He said he called home a few time from Oki back durring Vietnam and said the connection sucked. He could hardly hear his wife.

Next time I saw him he commented on that conversation and went on about how nice it is to be able to use modern technology. It seems we continually improve our means to talk to home. Now we have pretty good internet connections.

Im glad you, and every one can talk to home. It helps.
View Quote
It sure does help to be able to talk to home. My fiance has gotten so used to it that if I dont send a text for a while she is convinced something happened to me My squad leader deployed to Iraq years back for 15 months and hardly ever got a chance to call home.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 5:31:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

You guys crack me up...I appreciate the feedback
View Quote
I didn't intend my comment to be disrespectful, sorry that it came out wrong.

First part of it is probably self critique, I'm constantly reminding myself to try and be better. I talked briefly with a person once and they left an impression on me, wont bore you with the story, basically it's butterfly effect and how powerful of an effect we all have on each other. I'm still a jackass, but working on it.

The other part really just surprise that there's open internet access. Strategically it just seems smarter to not have open communications and whatnot.

/end derail

Thanks for the interesting info/pics, stay smart!
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 9:53:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The 6 mag banddolier is an individual OCIE item, I don't see anyone giving up theirs to sit in a QRF truck ready box.  We usually put all our resupply stuff like that in ammo cans marked accordingly, like 5.56 mags, pyro, demo, etc.
View Quote
If you did want mags in bandoliers, the green bandoliers the ammo comes in can be used to carry magazines if you cut out the white string that limits the depths of the pockets.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 10:13:59 PM EDT
[#21]
It's been a few years since I was in that craphole of a country. Keep your head down, brother. Thanks for what you do.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 10:18:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Not sure what lightfigher is and why I should be scared of it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Not sure what lightfigher is and why I should be scared of it.
Light fighter is a forum where special operations guys go to shoot the shit about kit, and guys like Mr_H go to virtually be in the same room, something that would otherwise never, ever happen.

Quoted:

If you did want mags in bandoliers, the green bandoliers the ammo comes in can be used to carry magazines if you cut out the white string that limits the depths of the pockets.
Did.not.know.that.

Thanks!

JK, I found a pic I had of the HE only 40mm's, they are WAY better over there. Try to wrangle some up at the ASP..

Link Posted: 6/13/2017 10:39:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Edited, see below.  HS
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 10:52:45 PM EDT
[#24]
I'll say this nicely, once.

Back the fuck off the OP. I've never met him. Never spoken to him, directly.

He's a deployed grunt doing what he's told which is a fuck ton more than most can say.

He started a thread about what he and guys like him are currently using while deployed. He isn't claiming to be anything he isn't. If someone thinks it's cool to call him out for something (joking aside, obviously. 03/11/18 series and guys that travel with them often share a certain sense of humor), feel free to redirect to me.

I've met and/or conversed with more than one person in this thread and will be sending the OP a PM, shortly.

OP, good on you. Not saying or suggesting you can't handle your shit, but sometimes an old guy steps in to squash the bullshit. I'll send you a PM, now.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 11:00:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

yup.  You don't have to pay to get that stuff.   You can just sweat for a few months and be issued it.  If he truly likes doing this kind of stuff, he should become a professional.
View Quote
I already am a professional, kiddo
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 11:04:13 PM EDT
[#26]
I spy some cool shit in that picture, that's for sure.

Ill poke around and see what we got here in regards to the 40mm.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 11:33:43 PM EDT
[#27]
My kit was setup almost the same. I tried the chest rig over iotv, couldn't stand it.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 11:53:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Good thread, OP. Thanks
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 5:09:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
My kit was setup almost the same. I tried the chest rig over iotv, couldn't stand it.
View Quote
@ksemar what kind of chest rig did you try? The issued FLC or something like mayflower?
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 8:04:09 AM EDT
[#30]
So I got this in the mail today...huge thanks to snakeman48 for sending me a brand new G33 magnifier after seeing my post about not having one. I can't believe there are people out there that are so generous. Thanks again, you're a great guy.

@snakeman48
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 9:51:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Edited, see below.  HS
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 9:54:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Edited, see below.  HS
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 10:27:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 10:35:44 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 11:20:25 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

When you see thread drift and disrespectful derailments like this in a tech forum, PLEASE hit the REPORT button and use the system as it is intended.  In many cases, it is the only way we will know about it in order to do something about it.  Thanks.
View Quote
Not sure why the thread has generated so much bullshit...

I wanted to keep it to a discussion on kit.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 11:35:56 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Not sure why the thread has generated so much bullshit...

I wanted to keep it to a discussion on kit.
View Quote
Request access to the milforum.  Similar discussions, less white noise.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 11:43:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Request access to the milforum.  Similar discussions, less white noise.
View Quote
Ill try and figure out how to do that. Is that lightfighter any good? I googled it and it seems to be inactive.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 11:46:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 11:53:37 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Ill try and figure out how to do that. Is that lightfighter any good? I googled it and it seems to be inactive.
View Quote
It's been a while, but IIRC you email striker from your mil email for access.  

Light fighter used to be cool, now as you said it's fairly slow and full of clownshoe groupies treating gear like adult male American Girl dolls.  Honestly I haven't gotten much tangible benefit there in quite a while so I don't bother anymore.  Shit, as you found this forum is usually more trouble than it's worth, the last time I actually asked for advice here I was flat out given wrong information that ended up costing me money.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 12:06:58 PM EDT
[#40]
I just want to thank snakeman48 again...I dont want his extreme generosity to be lost among the irrelevant posts. He is a great guy.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 1:27:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I just want to thank snakeman48 again...I dont want his extreme generosity to be lost among the irrelevant posts. He is a great guy.
View Quote
Bravo to snakeman.  To think we buy obama phones and feed the FSA, but we can't get magnifiers to infantry in a fucking war zone.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 2:35:23 PM EDT
[#42]
I for one, will be dissapointed if this thread goes away.

Bulldog: what's your current sling set up and why?
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 2:43:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm not Bulldog, but I used an MS3 in Afghanistan.  My primary reasons where the relatively quick adjustment, sewn in rear QD(that worked with my SOPMOD) and magpul's front clip that used the issue sling swivel on my M4.

Lately I've been running a SAP positional shooting sling.  I like positional shooting on the KD range. With the SAP I would have the option to employ it if I ever wanted too - though realistically I'll brace against the nearest stable object.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 4:06:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
.... the last time I actually asked for advice here I was flat out given wrong information that ended up costing me money.
View Quote
I have a short list of dudes around here of whom I trust their opinion. It's worth the hassle of maintaining the list, or just contacting them directly.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 4:20:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I have a short list of dudes around here of whom I trust their opinion. It's worth the hassle of maintaining the list, or just contacting them directly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
.... the last time I actually asked for advice here I was flat out given wrong information that ended up costing me money.
Socnet is a great resource.  Though unfortunately I have very little to contribute over there.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 4:34:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
And if you have a dirty kit, this is what you need:

http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o599/Jkbulldogg/20170612_155120_zpsxmvn6g56.jpg
View Quote
Did he deliver it?
Attachment Attached File

Sorry, I couldn't help it. Great thread.
I've added the medpouch to the bookmarks.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 5:03:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Socnet is a great resource.  Though unfortunately I have very little to contribute over there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wouldn't either.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 5:22:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Very cool thing to do @snakeman48.   
Be safe OP and thanks.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 7:08:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not the OP either but me and most my guys in my squad run BFG slings. They take a beating and keep on going, and adjust easily on the fly.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 7:56:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Not the OP either but me and most my guys in my squad run BFG slings. They take a beating and keep on going, and adjust easily on the fly.
View Quote
Another great sling. I've got several.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top