Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 2:25:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Here's my Spyderco Paramilitary that I finally got in the mail. I like it a lot so far but I heard a good amount of them on the market are Chinese knockoffs. Hopefully this one is the real deal.

Link Posted: 6/11/2017 4:43:25 AM EDT
[#2]
did they ditch the KDH plate carrier outright? all the joes I've seen in pictures from theater recently are wearing IOTVs.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 5:07:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
did they ditch the KDH plate carrier outright? all the joes I've seen in pictures from theater recently are wearing IOTVs.
View Quote
From what I hear, yes. According to dudes who have used them they sucked. When I went to RFI to get issued my shit they didn't have the option to get one.

Criticism of the KDH
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 7:25:49 AM EDT
[#4]
yeah, I had one and it was pretty shit. poor side plate system, poor load carriage system (barely any real estate for pouches and there was no rigs at the time that facilitated the breakaway system), poor coverage, poor shoulder pads, etc etc etc. It was however lighter than anything else the Army was giving out, but that was all it had going for it. Army should have went with a releasable MBAV.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 7:36:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Looks solid!

Thanks for your service, OP.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 7:45:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Army should have went with a releasable MBAV.
View Quote
The Crye AVS works for the 75th, would be nice to have it adapted on a bigger scale.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 8:00:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Anything crye is probably a bit too expensive for a force wide issue though
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 8:07:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Anything crye is probably a bit too expensive for a force wide issue though
View Quote
I can't even imagine how expensive that would be
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 8:49:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Hey Brother, reading some news out of your A/O.  Hope all is well.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 9:51:34 AM EDT
[#10]
A neck cooling wrap helps to keep your core cooler.  Keep an eye out for heat exhaustion.  I know you get the class.  Only takes one time and then you get hot easier.  I pushed it in Texas before we got there and had a tough time there trying to stay hydrated.  Get good inserts for your boots also.  God bless.  Hope you are close to Bagram.  Cooler than Kandahar and safer relatively.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 10:08:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Hey Brother, reading some news out of your A/O.  Hope all is well.
View Quote
Yes, it's been a rough couple of days
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 12:04:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

From what I hear, yes. According to dudes who have used them they sucked. When I went to RFI to get issued my shit they didn't have the option to get one.

Criticism of the KDH
View Quote
seems like all of those issues (gaps in coverage, proper side plate positioning) could be solved just by sticking with the Gen III IOTV.  with the IOTV neck panel removed, there is less than a 2 lb difference between them
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 1:37:54 PM EDT
[#13]
OP,

i totally see the need for knee pads, how long can you wear that particular band before they drive you nuts? do they bind on the back of your leg if you neal much?

you ever feel the need for elbow pads? is going prone not a reality in combat?

thanks for any insight there.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 2:13:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
OP,

i totally see the need for knee pads, how long can you wear that particular band before they drive you nuts? do they bind on the back of your leg if you neal much?

you ever feel the need for elbow pads? is going prone not a reality in combat?

thanks for any insight there.
View Quote
I have always worn the combat pants with knee pad inserts that my unit gets issued. But lately they have been rubbing my shins raw (im not the only one) on long foot movements in the extreme heat.

So I tried the regular issued knee pads and they suck dick. Totally cut off circulation. My PSG wears the arcteryx kneepads and suggested them so I bought a pair.

They don't really cut off circulation because due to the design they dont have to be worn tight. The bottom band attaches around the top of your calf and the top band attaches around the bottom of your thigh. I can wear them for hours and yeah they get a little annoying but they arent bad at all and my shins arent all fucked up after mission.

I do not wear elbow pads. I do lay prone often, almost every mission. I just dont really need them. If my elbows a little sore it doesnt bother me like if my knees hurt. It would be different if I was in recon or a sniper section
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 2:37:51 PM EDT
[#15]
I was suspicious because of the cleanliness of the gear.

Head on a swivel brother, stay safe.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 2:47:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Suspicious of what?
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 3:07:29 PM EDT
[#17]
-OP
Knee pads look a lot nicer than the ones we got... what's up with that magazine? M855A1? (What we were issued, but with standard magazines, 2011)
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 4:05:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
i noticed that too. looks cleaner than my civi gear but he does have the happy hole and pin on the rifle so....
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 4:13:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Stay safe OP, hopefully you won't need to dial get 911, but if you do my boy is a PJ out there and he will come running to you!!!
God Bless!
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 5:57:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Suspicious of what?
View Quote
i believe he may be calling you a pogue
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 6:36:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

i believe he may be calling you a pogue
View Quote
Eh, may not even be that.  When I left last year conventional infantry weren't doing much of anything.  Just ranges and motivational runs.  It is what it is, nothing against the OP.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 8:42:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

i noticed that too. looks cleaner than my civi gear but he does have the happy hole and pin on the rifle so....
View Quote
...and why the fuck would I care what you think? Maybe you should take care of your kit.

There are some real faggots on this site.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 8:45:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
-OP
Knee pads look a lot nicer than the ones we got... what's up with that magazine? M855A1? (What we were issued, but with standard magazines, 2011)
View Quote
Its a PMAG, and yes M855A1
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 11:21:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Hey there everyone. I just wanted to update on some of my everyday kit I wear over here and was wondering if anyone had any comments or questions or possibly critiques.

http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o599/Jkbulldogg/20170530_081426_zpsui8ia0cy.jpg

It is a Gen IV IOTV with:

-Tyr Tactical triple mag shingle
-Tyr Tactical single mag shingle
-Tyr Tactical improved SOF IFAK
-Crye General Purpose pouch for NODs
-Source 3L hydro carrier
-Crye 152 Harris pouch
-2 general issue m4 mag pouches

Also some nice knee pads. And obviously my M4 with PEQ15 and, yes, an Eotech EXPS (which has performed FLAWLESSLY in the mountains and extreme heat of Afghanistan).

Not pictured is a Arcteryx H150 Rigger's Belt. Also not pictured: a Crye Modular Rigger's Belt holding a Velocity Systems dump pouch, my NODs pouch from my vest, my IFAK from my vest, a Crye frag pouch, and a Tyr tactical 9mm pistol mag pouch for my Spyderco Paramilitary 2 folder.

I am ordering 4D Tactical Zero G helmet pads for my helmet. I hear they are nice.

Let me know what you think,

John
View Quote

I didn't read thru all the posts,,, but one question. If you were sent out into no mans land, where you may not able to get a quick resupply in the field, would you dump something and carry more ammo?
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 11:45:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I didn't read thru all the posts,,, but one question. If you were sent out into no mans land, where you may not able to get a quick resupply in the field, would you dump something and carry more ammo?
View Quote
A lot of the stuff posted in this thread is pretty odd. Shows me what a huge disconnect there actually is from reality regarding the military and everyone else.  I'm not the OP, but I feel like I can field this one fairly easily.

In your opinion, out of what he showed you he carries, what exactly would he dump?  Night vision?  Water? Radio?  IFAK?  Maybe his body armor? Thats literally all he has mentioned carrying aside from the weapons he is bringing said ammo for.  Spoiler alert, all of that is going with him.

The second part of your question is a bit more complicated, on carrying more ammo.  Short answer on carrying more ammo/stuff...yes.

Long answer...upon learning you are going to "no mans land", first you get a brief describing the conditions, expectations, and desired outcome of said mission including primary and alternate COAs as well as a threat brief on estimated enemy contact best and worst case.  You then use that to plan out how you are getting there and how long you are going.  A day, a week, 3 months?  Truck enfil, dismounted patrol, helo enfil? Kind of important.

Then you bounce that off your job and role on said mission and figure out a realistic loadout.  In a junior position a lot of this will be spoon fed to you by your leadership.

Then, when all that is said and done and you are packed and ready to go, you start figuring out how to pack up all the extra stuff that just got divided up between all of you.

Ultimately the reality is that outside of a combat load plus maybe a little bit extra, you are going to have to have a resupply plan, especially for water.  There is no way to carry enough water for more than a couple days if that.  With water can come ammo, batteries, and food.  The only way there wont be one for more than a day or two is if you physically bring the extra with you either on vehicles or even speedballs kicked out of a helicopter as you arrive.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 11:55:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Edited, see below.  HS
View Quote
dang...
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 12:34:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

A lot of the stuff posted in this thread is pretty odd. Shows me what a huge disconnect there actually is from reality regarding the military and everyone else.  I'm not the OP, but I feel like I can field this one fairly easily.

In your opinion, out of what he showed you he carries, what exactly would he dump?  Night vision?  Water? Radio?  IFAK?  Maybe his body armor? Thats literally all he has mentioned carrying aside from the weapons he is bringing said ammo for.  Spoiler alert, all of that is going with him.

The second part of your question is a bit more complicated, on carrying more ammo.  Short answer on carrying more ammo/stuff...yes.

Long answer...upon learning you are going to "no mans land", first you get a brief describing the conditions, expectations, and desired outcome of said mission including primary and alternate COAs as well as a threat brief on estimated enemy contact best and worst case.  You then use that to plan out how you are getting there and how long you are going.  A day, a week, 3 months?  Truck enfil, dismounted patrol, helo enfil? Kind of important.

Then you bounce that off your job and role on said mission and figure out a realistic loadout.  In a junior position a lot of this will be spoon fed to you by your leadership.

Then, when all that is said and done and you are packed and ready to go, you start figuring out how to pack up all the extra stuff that just got divided up between all of you.

Ultimately the reality is that outside of a combat load plus maybe a little bit extra, you are going to have to have a resupply plan, especially for water.  There is no way to carry enough water for more than a couple days if that.  With water can come ammo, batteries, and food.  The only way there wont be one for more than a day or two is if you physically bring the extra with you either on vehicles or even speedballs kicked out of a helicopter as you arrive.
View Quote
Couldn't of said it better myself. When on mission our QRF is another platoon in MRAPs. They carry in their trucks at all times spare water, MREs, and ammo, both inside the vehicle and in little compartments on the outside for quick access.

Link Posted: 6/12/2017 1:44:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Holy smoly batman..

reading your A/O .......and stuff.....

Holy smoly...

Stay safe and soft....

former FObbit here  
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 3:19:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Couldn't of said it better myself. When on mission our QRF is another platoon in MRAPs. They carry in their trucks at all times spare water, MREs, and ammo, both inside the vehicle and in little compartments on the outside for quick access.

http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o599/Jkbulldogg/20170306_161054_zpszpgbuoar.jpg
View Quote
That's some really cool insight to how that kinda stuff works. Thank's for sharing these pics with us, and if you can think of any comfort items that you need, just shoot a PM and I'll send out what I can. Stay safe out there!
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 7:24:35 AM EDT
[#30]
And if you have a dirty kit, this is what you need:

Link Posted: 6/12/2017 7:39:30 AM EDT
[#31]
This whole gear cleaning topic just brought back a fond memory.

I had a terp in Iraq who kept his IBA compulsively clean and would scrub it down in our shower trailer after every patrol. I remember one time he was cleaning it up and I came in to wash out my fleshlight insert, which I would do by wrapping the back of it around the faucet and cranking the pressure up to full blast, letting it blow up like a water balloon, then cutting the water off and letting gravity handle the rest. He asked what it was and I explained it to him and his face was like

Link Posted: 6/12/2017 7:59:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
This whole gear cleaning topic just brought back a fond memory.

I had a terp in Iraq who kept his IBA compulsively clean and would scrub it down in our shower trailer after every patrol. I remember one time he was cleaning it up and I came in to wash out my fleshlight insert, which I would do by wrapping the back of it around the faucet and cranking the pressure up to full blast, letting it blow up like a water balloon, then cutting the water off and letting gravity handle the rest. He asked what it was and I explained it to him and his face was like

View Quote
Haha classic. Our terp is pretty hilarious as well, literally about 5 feet tall and the tiniest man you will ever see.

And I dont blame him, I keep my stuff clean as well. It's one thing to be on the COP and just sucking dick and embracing it, but if you have access to water and oxyclean and a brush...shit why not? My whole team does the same thing.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 11:22:10 AM EDT
[#33]
I wish we had TErps when I was there.

We had a bird who complained if our stuff wasn't dirty, it means we weren't worming hard enough.

Weird guy anyways...

Thanks for sharing and being out there.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 11:22:31 AM EDT
[#34]
I wish we had TErps when I was there.

We had a bird who complained if our stuff wasn't dirty, it means we weren't worming hard enough.

Weird guy anyways...

Thanks for sharing and being out there.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 11:24:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
Lolol typical Army retards who couldn't last ten minutes outside the military.

"If your kit isn't caked in dirt and feces you arent real infantry, hooah?"
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 1:24:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o599/Jkbulldogg/20170306_161054_zpszpgbuoar.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How air tight is that compartment? I would think you would want those magazines in the MOLLE 6 mag Bandoleer pouch with strap (Which seems like what it was designed for) vs. loose inside that compartment, left to rattle around and let all kinds of dirt/Debris from the road start making it's way into those loaded magazines.

Plus , how quick is it to grab a handful of magazines while TIC vs. reach in and grab a few straps that pulle out 2-3 bandoleers for the Fire team/Squad/Plt.

Run this past your TL/SL...

That's My Inner Plt Sgt talking....
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 2:00:55 PM EDT
[#37]
The 6 mag banddolier is an individual OCIE item, I don't see anyone giving up theirs to sit in a QRF truck ready box.  We usually put all our resupply stuff like that in ammo cans marked accordingly, like 5.56 mags, pyro, demo, etc.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 7:18:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Well maybe someone should rethink that...
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 8:37:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

How air tight is that compartment? I would think you would want those magazines in the MOLLE 6 mag Bandoleer pouch with strap (Which seems like what it was designed for) vs. loose inside that compartment, left to rattle around and let all kinds of dirt/Debris from the road start making it's way into those loaded magazines.

Plus , how quick is it to grab a handful of magazines while TIC vs. reach in and grab a few straps that pulle out 2-3 bandoleers for the Fire team/Squad/Plt.

Run this past your TL/SL...

That's My Inner Plt Sgt talking....
View Quote
I'll bring it up to 1SG next time and let him know Harv said to unfuck yourself

But seriously, that rubber seal around the compartment keeps most shit out, but dust gets everywhere over here. Even in bandoleers they'd get dusty.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 8:42:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I'll bring it up to 1SG next time and let him know Harv said to unfuck yourself

But seriously, that rubber seal around the compartment keeps most shit out, but dust gets everywhere over here. Even in bandoleers they'd get dusty.
View Quote
Awww... thanks Brother...
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 11:46:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Do you have to pay for a G33 magnifier out-of-pocket, or can you order one using NSN?
1240-01-616-8655
1240-01-617-9721
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 12:01:35 AM EDT
[#42]
View Quote
What ammo are you using?
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 12:04:22 AM EDT
[#43]
Edited, see below.  HS
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 12:40:22 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

What ammo are you using?
View Quote
M855A1
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 12:47:07 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Do you have to pay for a G33 magnifier out-of-pocket, or can you order one using NSN?
1240-01-616-8655
1240-01-617-9721
View Quote
I have to pay out of pocket, but I already have one on the way thanks to a generous ARFCOM member. Appreciate the NSN numbers, regardless.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 1:03:04 AM EDT
[#46]
Edited, see below.  HS
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 1:16:59 AM EDT
[#47]
Edited, see below.  HS
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 4:02:24 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Edited, see below.  HS
View Quote

You guys crack me up...I appreciate the feedback
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 6:37:35 AM EDT
[#49]
Edited, see below.  HS
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 9:14:52 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Worst haiku ever.  I bet the dudes at lightfighter are super jelly of your civi gear too, at least thats probably how you think it goes down in your head.

Wanna know how I know you have no idea what you are talking about?

What special internet is he supposed to use?  WTF is a "general internet"?
View Quote
It's one step higher than "Lieutenant General internet", Mr So-Called Army man...

Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top