Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/22/2017 4:41:33 AM EDT
There are some electronic hearing protectors, can connect with radios if have proper PTT.
As far as i know, 3M peltor, MSA sordin, Howard Leight, Z-TAC, Earmor. 2 Old&experienced and 1 total new brand. All of these electronic protectors do the same things: amplify weak sound(like voice,steps), mute loud noisy, but with different attributes and price tag.
It's surely tacticool with those hearing protectors.
Anyway, why would you use electronic hearing protector? and why wouldn't? And what's actual working situation of yours?

Link Posted: 5/22/2017 6:06:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 6:30:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can't really tell what direction a noise is coming from with electronic muffs, not that I think that matters
View Quote
Some are better than others.  The .mil is going electronic in almost all environments.  Even the folks on the flight line are getting the stuff, radios and noise cancelling system are common.  No longer do the crew chiefs have to plug in a comcord either, all the jets are wireless with the ground crews.  

With good electronic muffs you can tell direction to certain extent because the mics are stereo.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 8:09:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I have two sets of cheap ones. ~$40.

Very useful for teaching noobs to shoot at a range.  Used to have one set and put it on them, but bi-directional is better.  Makes it much safer on a hot range if you can talk easily with a learner.

Haven't used them in the woods  yet, but I can imagine cranked up they might reveal some neat things.  There is a "music port" for a headphone jack on them too so they could plug into comms or whatever.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 8:23:52 AM EDT
[#4]
I spend several hours a day a couple of times a week on the range teaching and it is not only convenient to just leave ear pro on when addressing students but it allows me to hear people talking and moving around.
I also use them when I'm out doing patrol type things like clearing buildings and such. Amplifies sounds I really want to hear like people moving around but protects my hearing if I have to shoot, particularly indoors.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 9:12:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You can't really tell what direction a noise is coming from with electronic muffs, not that I think that matters
View Quote
Sure you can... well, I can.

Bigger problem is DISTANCE. I can tell distance only half ass with Peltor, not at all with Sordin.

To the OP,

You need active ears when you still need to hear, but also need hearing protection. This could be at the range, hunting, or engaging an active shooter after rappelling out the space shuttle. But seriously, there is no time I would NOT want active hearing protection.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 9:42:43 AM EDT
[#6]
As in many such things ... buy one, cry once.

CommTac II are the best in my experience.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 11:34:47 AM EDT
[#7]
If I knew I was going to get into a fight, such as rolling out as QRF, I would definitely want my Peltors. Riding a bird? Hell yes. I can even tap into the intercom and talk to the crew chief.

Wearing them on a foot patrol in hot weather? Fuck that. I did it once and swore I would never do it again. I had to break the seal on the muffs to pour sweat out of them. After that, I used a hand mic that took an earbud.

Being a TC on a mounted patrol, I had to wear the vehicle headsets while in the vehicle. Stopping and dismounting numerous times each patrol, it wasn't practical to keep switching between headsets so I used a hand mic then too.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 8:09:18 PM EDT
[#8]
The nice thing about helmet mounted though, is the ability to pop the seals and get airflow, but still hear radio traffic, or move to the back of helmet and put in an earpiece. You can also pop them in at a moments notice if you need them. Helmets already suck for heat, but while sealed ears make them suck more, mounted via ARC rails makes them much easier to deal with, whether you want them on or not at the particular moment.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:24:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
You CAN if you wear a pair ear pro with stereo-speakers inside.
Which ear pro you tried before? Mine is Earmor, and it works good.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:41:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have two sets of cheap ones. ~$40.

Very useful for teaching noobs to shoot at a range.  Used to have one set and put it on them, but bi-directional is better.  Makes it much safer on a hot range if you can talk easily with a learner.

Haven't used them in the woods  yet, but I can imagine cranked up they might reveal some neat things.  There is a "music port" for a headphone jack on them too so they could plug into comms or whatever.
View Quote
Mine is same around $40, and pretty good quality.
And YES! it's definite useful at shooting range. traditional earmuffs provide more noise reduction, but putting if off everytime you gotta speak with others. Trouble LOL
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:45:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I spend several hours a day a couple of times a week on the range teaching and it is not only convenient to just leave ear pro on when addressing students but it allows me to hear people talking and moving around.
I also use them when I'm out doing patrol type things like clearing buildings and such. Amplifies sounds I really want to hear like people moving around but protects my hearing if I have to shoot, particularly indoors.
View Quote
how's their outdoor performances? worse than indoor? And what ear pro you use?
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:53:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Some are better than others.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Some are better than others.
Why wouldn't you wear electronic hearing protection? I'm "old." I want to keep what hearing I have left. 
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:57:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Sure you can... well, I can.

Bigger problem is DISTANCE. I can tell distance only half ass with Peltor, not at all with Sordin.

To the OP,

You need active ears when you still need to hear, but also need hearing protection. This could be at the range, hunting, or engaging an active shooter after rappelling out the space shuttle. But seriously, there is no time I would NOT want active hearing protection.
View Quote
The ambient amplifying is related to distance, further means stronger amplify, and may hurts hearing if the amplify level too strong.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 11:07:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
As in many such things ... buy one, cry once.

CommTac II are the best in my experience.
View Quote
Peltor comtac II? or Ztac comtac II? Got confused sometimes LOL
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 11:20:18 PM EDT
[#15]
My friend has a set of electric ear pro and I tried it.  Is it nice, yeah.  But I shoot mostly prone / distance stuff.  With any earmuff style they always get in the way and lift up anyway .  I'm sure if I was doing a pistol class or practical rifle stuff where or was standing/ kneeling they would be fine.  I just use my ep4s and call it good.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 11:29:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You CAN if you wear a pair ear pro with stereo-speakers inside.
Which ear pro you tried before? Mine is Earmor, and it works good.
View Quote
And there we have it. Syntax errors showing English is not your first language, and pointing out the Earmor twice.

Hello Tom from OPSMEN.

From PistolSnipe

I was contacted by Tom from OPSMEN and asked if we would be willing to review this new product if he would send us a set; naturally I said yes! (EARMOR is the marking on the earmuffs themselves, not sure which branding is a subset of the other)

https://pistolsnipe.com/opsmen-m31-electronic-earmuff-review-earmor/

I can't link after the update.

Also from the article, same question posed.

Why Electronic Hearing Protection?

I’ve mentioned before that I did NOT have a great experience getting my Texas CHL (Concealed Handgun License – now renamed LTC for License To Carry since Open Carry was approved – yay!).
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 11:35:59 PM EDT
[#17]
You're a movie star Tom from OPSMEN. Same syntax errors here as in your posts.

And your ear pro is airsoft shit.

Link Posted: 5/23/2017 11:50:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZZ3qUe9LoI
View Quote
Wew. I knew something was up with OPs broken english and odd phrasing. Seen it before, usually Chinese fishing for info while subtley pushing their product. 

Yep. Knew it. Straight from the "About Us" section on OPSMENs website: "OPSMEN has excellent optics and acoustics laboratory and automated production line in China". 

Surprise. IBTL. 

Oh, and the earpro on the guy in OPs pic is, guess what? OPSMEN Earmor. Gee, I wonder why? 
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:06:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
BAM nice catch.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 5:58:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
please give some examples of any airsoft ear pro on the market that has quality like this.
if you provide military standard brands, please also tell me their prices.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:46:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

how's their outdoor performances? worse than indoor? And what ear pro you use?
View Quote
Unless the wind is really blowing hard outside they work great. Many a day I have said screw this admin shit and disappeared up to the range for some bolt gun therapy. Laying out there by myself I can hear pine cones falling through the trees.
I'm embarrassed to admit it but I don't know the brand. Have always just been the grey ones the sheriff bought us instructors. They are out in the Tahoe so I'll take a look and report back.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:48:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
My friend has a set of electric ear pro and I tried it.  Is it nice, yeah.  But I shoot mostly prone / distance stuff.  With any earmuff style they always get in the way and lift up anyway .  I'm sure if I was doing a pistol class or practical rifle stuff where or was standing/ kneeling they would be fine.  I just use my ep4s and call it good.
View Quote
I shoot bolt gun for 6 hours at a time and dont have any issues with my Peltor or Sordin lifting up, other than a very occasional touches that reduces protection when they barEly crack the seal. I use a brake on my bolt gun so I use EP4 in open setting under my muffs. It makes communication with a spotter super easy. I do have a problem with occasional cut outs, due to recoil creating an intermittent connection in the Sordin, which makes me have to turn them on again, but that's it. Oh... and they get hot, so get removed frequently for ear breathing during target changes.

I think most people's negative experiences with active ears is poor quality, shape, protection, or amplification. If you just get Peltor Comtac III and don't look back you will have no negative experiences IMO, but thinking Howard Leight is the same thing might give a distorted view.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top