Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/19/2017 12:02:55 PM EDT
So im looking for a good wearable back pack that a can hold a 14.5 upper in. My idea is that if some crazy stuff happens I can carry two uppers with a dedicated optic on each. One with an RDS another with a ta31 acog. So instead of have a 1-4x scope or some other kind of compromise I could just keep the two uppers and pop on which ever on I think im going to need at the time. Thank you for your replies
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 12:13:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Dolos II & QD sights for optics.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 2:39:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Why not just have two optics on Larue QD mounts and swap those instead? Sure seems like it would be a lot less money and weight. Even a magnifier on a Larue flip to side mount that you can go from 3X to 1X or remove if desired seems like a much easier to manage option. I have done both of those for a patrol rifle and works great. Two uppers is way too big of a space/money waste if both uppers are 14.5" uppers.

And a 1-4X scope is not a compromise compared to a TA31 ACOG if you get a better 1-4X scope in any way but weight. In fact, you would be better off with a 1-6X or higher magnification.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 3:34:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Any pack about 26" long should hold up to a 16" barreled upper no problem.  Here's an article with some packs made for the purpose.

http://www.tactical-life.com/gear/6-discreet-carry-bags/#twfm16-bags-511

SOTech used to make a sling pack "go bag" that fit a broken down AR with a padded divider too and molle on the outside for mag pouches etc.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 7:30:10 PM EDT
[#4]
*lets keep this on topic
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 9:44:20 PM EDT
[#5]
*lets keep this on topic
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 9:45:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any pack about 26" long should hold up to a 16" barreled upper no problem.  Here's an article with some packs made for the purpose.

http://www.tactical-life.com/gear/6-discreet-carry-bags/#twfm16-bags-511

SOTech used to make a sling pack "go bag" that fit a broken down AR with a padded divider too and molle on the outside for mag pouches etc.
View Quote
Thank you for actually answering the question
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 9:48:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Why not just have two optics on Larue QD mounts and swap those instead? Sure seems like it would be a lot less money and weight. Even a magnifier on a Larue flip to side mount that you can go from 3X to 1X or remove if desired seems like a much easier to manage option. I have done both of those for a patrol rifle and works great. Two uppers is way too big of a space/money waste if both uppers are 14.5" uppers.

And a 1-4X scope is not a compromise compared to a TA31 ACOG if you get a better 1-4X scope in any way but weight. In fact, you would be better off with a 1-6X or higher magnification.
View Quote
I thought about qding optics but I figured I would just end up with two rifles anyways so if shit goes down I could just grab the other upper throw it in the bag and go
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 11:31:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I would advise against storing another upper in your bag. Not only is there the extra 3ish lbs of the upper, you open yourself up to the BCG falling out or getting something in the upper. If all your looking for is a difference of magnification mounting a mini RMR on a 45 offset isn't a bad option. High quality adjustable optics are also available, and a really good option as well.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 12:20:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Countrycomm satcomm bag. Link
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 8:31:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I would advise against storing another upper in your bag. Not only is there the extra 3ish lbs of the upper, you open yourself up to the BCG falling out or getting something in the upper. If all your looking for is a difference of magnification mounting a mini RMR on a 45 offset isn't a bad option. High quality adjustable optics are also available, and a really good option as well.
View Quote
I wish to keep this from being a drama thread, but the Raven Top Stop and a muzzle cover pretty well encapsulates an upper:

http://raven-concealment-systems1.mybigcommerce.com/topstop-ar-upper-receiver-cover/

I happen to have several bags that I have used for carry separated uppers and lowers.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 8:36:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Those are pretty awesome.  I got one of the earlier versions when they were way cheaper.  I have it full of full mags.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 8:37:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 8:39:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 8:46:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Im not saying don't buy a pack to carry around a broken down rifle, but I just shot a 14.5 with a TA01(basically same as TA31) with a piggyback sight on top and it was fantastic to shoot.  Then you need just one upper.  The head position to utilize the sight up top was a little strange at first but I came to like it by the end of the weekend
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 9:23:35 PM EDT
[#15]
I agree with those telling you to make it work with one upper. Apologies for not answering the actual question, but I love to backpack and I know from hauling shit on my back that ounces begin to add up. You'll need food, shelter, everything you need to live in your pack, ammo- and that other upper will just be like a boat anchor taking up valuable space and weighing you down. The sky is the limit when it comes to which packs will carry a halved AR, but I tend to not go for tactical stuff with webbing and such.  I stick with earth toned reputable brands of backpacking gear that are more lightweight in general, or as light as I can afford anyway.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 9:28:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

What the fuck are you talking about. That's a pretty lame ass attempt at trolling
View Quote
Actually, this was the quintessential troll reference.

I think the idea is that the idea in question is overly thought and impractical. We all know complete uppers end up with a lower and thus become two rifles. As far as a pack my first thought was the Eberlestock, non tactical looking variants.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:30:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
Those are a knockoff of the SOTech bug out bags I mentioned. They were designed as E&E bags for vehicle and aviation crews. Blackhawk copied it too.

This is the extended SOtech bag.
https://sotechtactical.com/collections/special-order-bags-packs/products/s-o-tech-go-bag-a1-double-extended

The accessory insert for rifles.
https://sotechtactical.com/collections/accessories/products/sgbi

SOtech has a brand of overseas made gear called Paladin too that's a fraction of the cost of their US gear but I don't believe they offer the extended go pack in the lineup.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 1:20:22 PM EDT
[#18]
I have an Eberlestock S27 "Little Trick" backpack. The bottom flap can be unzipped to extend it down further. It holds my 11" AR with room to spare.

It doesn't scream "tactical" or look military as long as you get a color other than black.

Eberlestock S-27

They also make a larger version of the same bag that will hold a bigger rifle.

Solid bag, good features, good organization inside.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top