Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2017 3:04:29 AM EDT
Hi, who can cut and seal soft kevlar panels?

I contacted Tactical Tailor and they can't - anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 4:31:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Most gearmakers won't cut kevlar due to liability reasons. A kevlar panel is a system of multiple layers, in multiple deniers, in multiple directions, sewn in multiple ways. They are certified as a system, any changes to the system needs to be retested.  You may start with a  fairly fresh IOTV armor insert but once you cut it down it may not protect the same because it will be missing some of the stitching around the edges.

Buy a pair of serrated or ceramic shears for $25-85 and cut them youself.  I'm telling you, its going to suck, you can only cut 2-3 layers at a time, use something to protect your fingers

This is the only pair I have used, made them an offer they accepted. I wound up taping some leather to the finger holes for protection after I got impatient tried  to cut 5 layers at a time.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=3&campId=5337559805&toolId=10001&customId=j2vl5ue2xd00zk8a00004&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2F291713722676:m:mpTCMTRUtihoru1XQ9APqSw
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 5:46:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hi, who can cut and seal soft kevlar panels?

I contacted Tactical Tailor and they can't - anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!
View Quote

As mentioned the liability issues prevent most companies from doing this. The military are cutting IMTV panels into ones for plate carriers. They first test the panels as IMTV inserts, then cut them. Then test the cut ones. Unlike most people who cut using Kevlar shears I have done it by taking a long bladed razor blade and using a sawing motion at a 90 degree angle to the Kevlar. Because you are not trying to cut 28 layers as layers it's faster. Then I use superglue to prevent fraying. Instead of re sealing the original cover I made my own out of corrections grade Kevlar, the kind with a waterproof sealing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top